Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
He's going to have to be lights out for this even to be a reasonable cap hit. That's starter money.

He's starting goalie imo

Rolie melanson believes he's a starting goalie too.. Il take his word

I strongly feel he's a starting goalie. Watching how he's improved. He will be the Starting goalie next year. And this deal will look good on the back end

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Burt Macklin

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Fair enough, he shared a similar season to Rask in that regard with SV% - And according to most Bruins fans, he had an atrocious season. Lights out for one guy, and atrocious for another, yet the same save percentage.

Again, not saying Markstrom is bad, he's ok. But again, saying he was lights out is actually pretty damn wrong.

Sure, we don't have to say he was 'lights out' if you don't want to (I never claimed that he was). Though with regards to your Rask comparison, Rask went from being one of the league's top goalies to posting average numbers on a bubble team. Of course Rask had a terrible year for his standards, but that doesn't say a whole lot about Markstrom. No one here is arguing that Markstrom's numbers last year were anything more than league average -- they objectively were not. It's the context under which he put up those numbers that matters more to me, and to most other Canucks fans.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Always have such a laugh on here as soon as Vancouver do any sort of transaction!

Markstrom has taken massive strides these past two years and will have a 1.6 million cap hit next season as a backup. Miller's contract is up as Markstroms starts making him a serviceable starter at 3.67mil a year. Its a good deal. Reimer is being paid a little less to be a backup in Florida for 5 years.

It comes in at roughly around market value in a years time for good backups, Markstrom will be an average NHL starter, he's close to it already.

It's almost like none of you have really watched him play....?

she blinded me with science

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Don't hate it. With the way Markstrom has progressed these last two years, this could be a really good deal, really soon. He was the best player on the ice and somehow managed to keep that tire-fire team in a lot of games last season. This spells the end for Miller in Vancouver and the stopgap until Demko is ready.

I agree. Markstrom took a while to get his NHL career going after being the best goaltending prospect in the world, but I believe he is well on his way now. Very big and very talented, I think he will play up to this contract and it will be a bargain by the end of it.

Btw Leafs fans, chill a bit. I know you are feeling all cocky with the first overall pick for being the worst team in hockey and your shiny new management team, but you have missed the playoffs 10 of the last 11 seasons and the only year you made it was only because it was a shortened season. I don't think you really should be ridiculing ANY other organizations quite yet.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I can't stand the Canucks and I do live in vancouver. I'd say this probably about 500-700K too much. But he seemed quite solid last year. I was quite surprised.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Sure worked wonders for the Hawks though. :laugh:

Don't forget the Pens. During their years in the dumpster, they drafted some great players with very high picks: Crosby (#1 OVA), Malkin (#2), Fleury (#1), Jordan Staal (#2), Whitney (#5). They've obviously won a couple Cups since drafting those guys. Even if all of them weren't on the team for both Cups, they still got players in return that were. So yeah, tanking can work, and has worked for at least two teams in recent years: The Hawks and Pens. Will it work for the Oilers, Jackets, Leafs? We shall see.

Anyway, I think this is a terrible deal for a goalie who's started in fewer than 100 games, and has a pretty awful career SV%, but that's just my opinion, obviously.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
[MOD] He was easily the better goaltender at the second half of the season and will slowly kick Miller out of the #1 job next season.

He will be the #1 next season and that is a very good cap hit for a guy who is trending up. By the time his contract is up, Demko will be ready to take the starting job.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I don't think Markstrom has earned this contract, potential is there to make this a great contract for the Canucks but imo Markstrom is still a bit of a wild card as NHL starting goalie.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'm entirely fine with this.With a garbage roster like ours was last year, Markstrom was one of the few positive points on our season.

Is it a bit over what he should get ? I don't really think so and that's because he was able to perform well most nights behind our tire fire of a defense core.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
For anyone saying this is a bad contract or it's an overpayment let me ask you this:
Would you rather have Ryan Miller @ 6 Million per or Markstrom at 3.xx Million
It's not even debatable Markstrom's contract is a steal compared to Miller's. This is an excellent contract and Benning did quite well here. Markstrom is severely underrated, trust me. As a comparable I think of James Reimer 3.4 Million for 5 years and Markstrom is unequivocally better than JR

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
He's going to have to be lights out for this even to be a reasonable cap hit. That's starter money.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On what planet is 3.67mil starter money?

So entertaining to see y'all grasping desperately to hate on Benning and the Canucks.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kinda high in both AAV and term but Canucks fans in here are right, Markstrom is absolutely underrated. He is better than Miller IMO.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Try playing in the net for Vancouver and see how much help you get.

Last season their defencemen were the worst in the whole NHL.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Don't forget this is an extension so the money doesn't kick in till 2017-18. It's a gamble for the Canucks but one with reasonable upside. If Markstrom continues to improve and continues to eat into Miller's PT over the course of this season - by the time the contract kicks in, it could be very good value. They obviously believe he's on the right trajectory - if you wait until the end of the year, he could very well be in that $4-4.5 million bracket.

This isn't $3.667 million AAV for a backup; it's the Canucks hedging their bets a bit and banking on having a solid starting goalie for the next four years at well under market value, freeing up cash to be spent elsewhere. It could blow-up in their faces, sure - but there is a calculation here and Markstrom has the pedigree, physical tools and positive career trajectory to make it worth their while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad