Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Let him earn it first this year and then see if he's worth that next season... there's little risk because of options available.

So lets look at the risk though. Markstrom has a great year and is now headed for UFA. The Canucks, knowing they have Demko, will not give Markstrom a long term deal. Another team will and off he goes. Now what? Resign Miller? Get on the goalie carousel that so many NHL teams do (which is why there is so many goalies available. None of them are any good ). This all on faith that Demko is the real deal.

Nah. This is a sound deal. They have basically said that he is the starter after this next year. If not sooner. If he fails we shelter Demko while collecting assets from being a bad team. If he excels we have a valuable trade chip. Good goalies still have value. His contract $'s are low enough that a good vet can be brought in to platoon and not blow up the cap.

And at some point the bad year and a bit he had in Florida has to be seen as more of an abherration as opposed to the norm. He was poorly developed and by all accounts has straightened out his game. He was amazing for Utica 2 seasons ago and was over all better than Miller last year. This along with his pedigree makes it worth the risk.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I kinda think that the more games you give him the better he's gonna be. This is probably a good signing.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
3.7 is cheap for your starter, and for better or worse, markstrom will be the canucks starter in 2017/2018. Given that workload, the contract makes sense. Benning's honest, I'm sure Markstrom is aware that Demko is being groomed as the starter. Markstrom gets paid now, he was handed a year audition as a #1 goalie (2017/18) over Lack; unless Marky becomes a premium goalie which is a win for everyone, i'm thinking he ends up staying in Vancouver longer than the three years, and will be a value signing next time around.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Another poster who never watched him. This thread is comical. Vancouver gave up the most high quality chances in the nhl. Shocking defence how bad IT was

So just to clarify... are you saying the Canucks defence was worse than the Oilers last year?

For anyone saying this is a bad contract or it's an overpayment let me ask you this:
Would you rather have Ryan Miller @ 6 Million per or Markstrom at 3.xx Million
It's not even debatable Markstrom's contract is a steal compared to Miller's. This is an excellent contract and Benning did quite well here. Markstrom is severely underrated, trust me. As a comparable I think of James Reimer 3.4 Million for 5 years and Markstrom is unequivocally better than JR

.xx = .67 Just because it starts with a 3 doesn't make it a $3m contract... it's actually closer to $4m. I can't respect a post that 'clouds' reality.

Miller's contract is a terrible contract but it's not like it's going to hurt the Canucks this year.

My beef with most of the Canuck posters in this thread is [MOD] you are defending extending a goalie who has been viewed as a back-up with starter (low starter, but starter) money, was recently on waivesr and had a strong 25 games (a small sample size by the majority of posters on this site).

Anyways, I think it is overpayment but it's not going to kill the Canucks... it's 3 years if it doesn't work out. Low risk gamble and most Canucks posters seem happy with it and they watch their team more than the rest of us. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
So lets look at the risk though. Markstrom has a great year and is now headed for UFA. The Canucks, knowing they have Demko, will not give Markstrom a long term deal. Another team will and off he goes. Now what? Resign Miller? Get on the goalie carousel that so many NHL teams do (which is why there is so many goalies available. None of them are any good ). This all on faith that Demko is the real deal.

Nah. This is a sound deal. They have basically said that he is the starter after this next year. If not sooner. If he fails we shelter Demko while collecting assets from being a bad team. If he excels we have a valuable trade chip. Good goalies still have value. His contract $'s are low enough that a good vet can be brought in to platoon and not blow up the cap.

And at some point the bad year and a bit he had in Florida has to be seen as more of an abherration as opposed to the norm. He was poorly developed and by all accounts has straightened out his game. He was amazing for Utica 2 seasons ago and was over all better than Miller last year. This along with his pedigree makes it worth the risk.

Look at the Goalie market. We're going into the following season under expansion rules so teams can only protect one Goalie.

So Markstrom has a great year... which team offers him a contract? Which Goalie does that team have then that gets exposed and ends up being available for cheap? Which other goalies need contracts?

Now is the time to get on a Goalie carousel when you already have your future coming up in Demko and a carousel with more seats than players.

There is just no reason to sign an unproven Goalie to money he hasn't yet earned when you've got a full season to evaluate him playing a bigger role then he ever has while having a big safety net of what will be next year's Goalie market in an expansion year.

Benning has shown he doesn't have the patience with negotiations to get the best deal for the organization... this is just another deal like every other one he's done.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall signed the much more proven Neuvirth as a UFA for $1.6 x 2 last summer. What is Benning doing?

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Markstrom is a great goalie. Can be a good starter in the NHL. This will turn out to be a good deal for both sides. So many ignorant comments and overreactions in this thread :laugh:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Canuck fans can attempt to defend this trade yet fail to answer the question...how did Markstrom have the leverage to get this deal in the first place?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
giving markstrom the contract now was completely unnecessary, and it's not a great contract so he gained no value and saved no money doing it early. but on the scale of things benning does, it's pretty minor. of the "death by a thousand tiny cuts" variety.

it's not like when he traded kassian and a pick for prust so prust could mentor the kids then buried prust and traded away the kid for a downgrade on the guy who wanted to stay for cheap that he didn't resign and got nothing for even though he did everything in his power to not keep him and probably should have known he was going to do that so why the f did you not trade him at the deadline for anything, even just the 5th round pick you gave away in the kassian/prust trade you stupid moron?

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
So just to clarify... are you saying the Canucks defence was worse than the Oilers last year?

.xx = .67 Just because it starts with a 3 doesn't make it a $3m contract... it's actually closer to $4m. I can't respect a post that 'clouds' reality.

Miller's contract is a terrible contract but it's not like it's going to hurt the Canucks this year.

My beef with most of the Canuck posters in this thread is [MOD] you are defending extending a goalie who has been viewed as a back-up with starter (low starter, but starter) money, was recently on waivesr and had a strong 25 games (a small sample size by the majority of posters on this site).

Anyways, I think it is overpayment but it's not going to kill the Canucks... it's 3 years if it doesn't work out. Low risk gamble and most Canucks posters seem happy with it and they watch their team more than the rest of us. [MOD]

Still better than Talbot lol. Not a bad guy to have until Demko takes over. You call it an overpayment...I guess you know one when you see it considering the HallLarssen debacle.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Still better than Talbot lol. Not a bad guy to have until Demko takes over. You call it an overpayment...I guess you know one when you see it considering the HallLarssen debacle.

The difference is we had to over pay to get a young RD like Larsson. You didn't have to over pay Markstrom. He was still under contract for another season and Benning jumped the gun.

No one's saying he sucks or can't potentially earn the contract. This isn't about Markstrom so much as it is about Benning repeating his mistakes. Example re-upping Sutter and Sbisa to contracts the could potentially earn.

These aren't star players you want/need locked up long term to avoid a Subban like contract situation.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
This is ****ing dumb Markstrom sucks imo

how is markstrom's extension worth more than reimer's ufa contract :laugh:

Because Reimer will be Luongo's backup in Florida. Markstrom is going to be the starter for Vancouver. Florida is paying Reimer to be a backup, Vancouver is paying Markstrom to be a starter. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Melanson is one of the most highly regarded goaltending coaches in the league, he encouraged Gillis to get Markstrom in the trade for Luongo. He was able to work with Markstrom in the minors and made him one of the best goalies in the AHL. Prior to last year, Markstrom's save percentage was .887 (137 goals on 1215 shots). With playing behind the Canucks defense, he was able to improve upon his career totals by .017. That's a huge difference for a goalie.

Some may also say why wait until he's proven himself more in the season. Ok, say he goes into the league and through the first couple months he's got a 10-4 record with a GAA around 2.25 and a save percentage around .920. He now holds the advantage in any negotiations with the Canucks because he knows that Miller won't be resigned. He could ask for over $4 million over a 3 year contract. I'm happy with the term as after this year where he's paid $1.6 million, it allows the Canucks to give Demko at least two years in the minors as a starter while not overpaying for a starter or 1A/B goalie which Markstrom will be.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

See this comment is the point of my thread. [MOD]

You overpaid... gambling... get used to it.

If you think Markstrom is better than Talbot, you need a new prescription for those rose-colored glasses. Another option is you could start a poll.

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
See this comment is the point of my thread. [MOD]

You overpaid... gambling... get used to it.

If you think Markstrom is better than Talbot, you need a new prescription for those rose-colored glasses. Another option is you could start a poll.

Thinking so highly of bums like Talbot is the reason the Oilers have missed the playoffs for 10 years straight. 4.17 million for Talbot is laughable.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
So if he's as bad as people think, we will end up with more than 1 high draft pick for the remainder of his contract. If he ends up performing or playing even better than his cap hit we aren't doing what this team should've been doing for years, rebuilding. Sometimes I wonder what the HF experts really want.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
So if he's as bad as people think, we will end up with more than 1 high draft pick for the remainder of his contract. If he ends up performing or playing even better than his cap hit we aren't doing what this team should've been doing for years, rebuilding. Sometimes I wonder what the HF experts really want.

I hate to tell you... get used to these types of threads and self-contradicting comments from posters of other fanbases... this coming from a fan of a team who has been rebuilding for 8+ years.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
i have seen Markstrom play, absolutely no concern with this contract. In fact I am quite optimistic he will end up making that Luongo trade look pretty good. Markstrom is making only 1.6 million this season. He will make 3.6 as a starter.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
I hate to tell you... get used to these types of threads and self-contradicting comments from posters of other fanbases... this coming from a fan of a team who has been rebuilding for 8+ years.

Fair enough. I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the HF experts to tell me how it's all going to go down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad