Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Looks like a lot of people who didn't see him play last year. He was really good last year and is heading towards becoming a #1

To call this a horrible contract is naive

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Markstrom > Neuvirth imo. When is the last time the Flyers had a good goalie? Cechmanek? Boucher? Benning did ok here.

Steve Mason the last 3 plus years as the Flyers #1 goalie when he posted a .922 save percentage in 173 starts.

Michal Neuvirth last year when he posted a .924 save percentage in 32 starts..the same number of starts Markstrom posted a .915 SP.

Dont make this personal. Its not my fault Benning **** the bed again.

Even if he is finally trending in the right direction, Benning had all the leverage yet still overpaid him.

Last edited:

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Happy with this. Not to say he's on the high end of what I wanted, but still a great term in terms of Demko transitioning to the NHL, and a solid deal. Markstrom was rock solid last year and if he even stays at the level he played last year it is very good for us as a stopgap

The pressure would have been on the Canucks heading into the offseason if we didn't have a goalie under contract, smart to get it done now

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
hfboards is just way off a lot of the time.

kessel trade.
hall trade

value is just not accurate

markstrom didnt have great stats but when hamhuis and edler were injured we had the worse d in the league

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I hate to tell you... get used to these types of threads and self-contradicting comments from posters of other fanbases... this coming from a fan of a team who has been rebuilding for 8+ years.

Try 10

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Btw what has Jake Allen proven as #1 starter without Elliott ? He just got 4 years at 4.35

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah I'm one of the biggest Benning criticisers on this board and this is a solid deal. Markstrom deserves this kind of money.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
a career high of 32 games in the nhl and they gave him 3.67m per and 3 years. sorry but that is really high.

It is really high for a guy that really hasn't proven himself enough to ever earn that much, seems like a Benning panic move though so he isn't without a goalie after next season.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Btw what has Jake Allen proven as #1 starter without Elliott ? He just got 4 years at 4.35

Lol are you serious right now? He's had about 99 games of NHL experience, 74 of that coming the last 2 seasons (37 and 47 this season). Markstrom had a very mediocre season with 30 games and earned about less than 1m than what Allen makes, that is too much. Do the Canucks learn nothing about bad contracts?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not really shocked he was a top goalie and is now getting his chance on a rebuilding team . It's not like Miller is coming back after this year

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Lol are you serious right now? He's had about 99 games of NHL experience, 74 of that coming the last 2 seasons (37 and 47 this season). Markstrom had a very mediocre season with 30 games and earned about less than 1m than what Allen makes, that is too much. Do the Canucks learn nothing about bad contracts?

Allen has also had the benefit of playing behind some very strong teams whilst Marky has been tending for two bottom feeders. Last season Allen played 47 games and posted .920. Marky played 33 games and posted .915. I'd argue their respective contracts are pretty fair - I don't agree with Allen being overpaid and I will stretch to say that Markström's hit might be slightly high TODAY - but the new contract kicks in after the upcoming season and thus, Marky will have more experience etc. It's a calculated risk for sure, but it isn't in any way a horrible contract.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Mmmh. Strange deal. Yes, he's very talented and could become a beast, but the value is not really there if you have only played what, ~80 games on this level?

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg

I guess that's your assumption because you clearly didn't watch him play.

Second half of the season when our d-core was possibly the worst in the entire league Marky was excellent in net. Allen's numbers aren't very impressive either and he's played for a far superior team. Marky has had about 79 games in the NHL, has won AHL GK of the year and was Utica's best player and reason they went to the Calder Cup. Think he has shown enough to warrant a bit of a gamble and assumption he will continue to perform for the organization. The way he has developed since joining the Canucks, he's only been trending upwards year after year. It's a bit of a gamble, but hardly a crippling deal if he somehow regresses as a 26 year old. Next year, when he will probably be splitting the net with Miller or even taking over the role he will carry a 1.55 cap hit, that's awfully cheap. When he becomes the Canucks #1, he will be on a very inexpensive deal that comes in lower than most average starters in the NHL.

Seriously, it's a good and fair deal for both sides. Our "bad contracts" include Sbisa at 3.6, Sutter at 4.375 and Dorsett at 2,65. Nowhere close to team crippling, especially considering where the Canucks are at. Even if you think these contracts are bad, if any team can afford to have a few it's the Canucks who are getting younger. Look at other teams and their bad contracts.

Not saying Markstrom is better or worse than Allen. Fredrik Andersen has slightly higher numbers and he's also played for a much better team and defense than Markstrom, yet he get's 5x5? Markstrom is just short of these guys. Reimer get's 3.4 for 5 years to be a backup?

Hate on Benning as much as you want, if you do on this deal, well you just look silly and uninformed.

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
Steve Mason the last 3 plus years as the Flyers #1 goalie when he posted a .922 save percentage in 173 starts.

Michal Neuvirth last year when he posted a .924 save percentage in 32 starts..the same number of starts Markstrom posted a .915 SP.

Dont make this personal. Its not my fault Benning **** the bed again.

Even if he is finally trending in the right direction, Benning had all the leverage yet still overpaid him.

Neuvirth had a backup workload and most of his starts were against weaker competition. Mason has meltdowns under pressure. Id take Markstrom over both those guys easily. He was a 1b for us and played against better teams. He's our 1b this year and then will be the guy for two years until Demkos ready. At under 4mill, I'd say that's a great deal. Kudos Benning for making it happen.

Tommy

Raffi Torres Jr.
Dec 13, 2013
Vancouver
Seems a little high, doubt we will be very competitive anyways. The length of the contract is a positive though.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Great little gamble with high possible reward from Canucks side.

I´m guessing the ones that are against this deal haven´t seen how Melanson and Cloutier have completley turned Markstroms career around since he arrived spring 2014. From looking AHL/Europe bound to playing like an actual NHL starter in 1,5 years.

Vancouver haven´t had much to brag about the last years, but goalie development is the one place they actually are in competition for being best in the leauge. Melanson was already in Montreal behind Theodores Vezina/Hart season and Price still uses the drills he taught him and often praises Melanson for the part he played in developing him.
Melanson was also the one that made Schneider take the step from great prospect to elite goalie and made an average prospect like Lack reach an 1B NHL level starter. And even if Miller and Luongo ain´t the goalies they once where, the changes and updates made to their techniques probably prolonged their careers by 3-5 years under his guidance.
No one on the leauge is better at developing big goalie talents in to starters. Detroit could send him McCollum and he would be an back up goalie in the NHL in an year.
And Cloutier is an better goalie coach than he was an goalie.

Bottom line: If Melanson recommends the Canucks to sign Markstrom long term one year before his contract is up, they better listen.

But of course it´s an little bit of gamble, as Markstrom with the career arc he has probably was worth 2,5 millions a year as an back up (especially if you saw his 33 games last season...). But this contract doesn´t kick in until 17/18, so the cap hit will only be 1,6 this season. And the Canucks, by Melanson recommandations I suspect, gamble is that Markstrom will take another step and in 1-2 years be worth an bigger contract.

There´s also no coincidence that this contract kicks in when Millers ends. Vancouver hopes that Demko, an arguable top 3 goalie prospect in the world, is an future franchise-goalie. So the long term plan seems to be to give him an full year in the AHL and 17/18 have him back up Markstrom for 20-25 GP and then let the. And if Markstrom with some luck end up living up to his former potentia the Canucks have gotten themselfes a top 10-15 goalie getting paid as an 30-40 goalie in the leauge. They have also now have signaled that Markstrom is the goalie they´ll protect next year in the expansion draft (Demko won´t be needed to be).

Bottom line: Markstrom ain´t the same mishandled Panthers prospect the Canucks aquired. He ain´t playing as aggressive as before, he has learned to use his size to his advantage. He´s still young for an goaltender and almost back on track. I suspect this season, after another off season work with Melanson/Cloutier, we will se him get around 50GP and Miller 30Gp.

Shagpile

May 28, 2016
There's this other goalie that the Canucks had in their system for a long time named Cory Schneider and his trajectory was very similar. The difference in the underlying numbers is that Markstrom has yet to play on a good team, while Schneider was on a team that won back to back President's trophies.

Yes Markstrom is being paid based on his potential, but if you actually watched him play over the past 2 seasons, you would know that he has improved dramatically and is good enough to be a starter.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I told ya back when he was traded for Luongo, that if you had patience, this kid was going to turn into a solid player for you. Glad to see he is figuring things out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad