Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks are a goalie factory. If Melanson says this guy is the real deal then I'm inclined to believe him. It's the one area where the team looks set for the next decade with Markstrom and Demko. A very solid deal.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Griess is a good comparable for Marky, both needed time to become NHL calibre goalies, both have been kicked to the curb by there previous teams and both will most likely take over the starting job this year. Contracts are simalar too.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Kind of high considering Markstrom really hasn't proved much in the NHL. Was he not on waivers at one point?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Kind of high considering Markstrom really hasn't proved much in the NHL. Was he not on waivers at one point?

He was, but Vancouver's goalie development system has done wonders for him. He was lights out in Utica that year, basically dragging them to the finals. He had a pretty good season last year too on one of the league's worst teams.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brutal deal? Holy hyperbole and mostly from Leaf fans. Hmmm.
Markstrom improved significantly last year. The deal is fine.

Maybe not so much that he improved, but rather he made it through a full NHL season without imploding. He was always extremely talented, but over his career whenever he got called up to the big league his confidence/game collapsed.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Griess is a good comparable for Marky, both needed time to become NHL calibre goalies, both have been kicked to the curb by there previous teams and both will most likely take over the starting job this year. Contracts are simalar too.

Greiss is one the best "backups" in the NHL, considering his numbers last year and he was pretty damn good in round 1 of the playoffs, too.

Markstrom has proven far less than Greiss has at this point and Markstrom has had his chances to prove what he is. I wanted him to be more, believe me, but he isn't. This is an overpayment for sure. There's likely any number of rookie goalies who could overtake him if given the opportunity, sad but true.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
Greiss is one the best "backups" in the NHL, considering his numbers last year and he was pretty damn good in round 1 of the playoffs, too.

Markstrom has proven far less than Greiss has at this point and Markstrom has had his chances to prove what he is. I wanted him to be more, believe me, but he isn't. This is an overpayment for sure. There's likely any number of rookie goalies who could overtake him if given the opportunity, sad but true.

.......have you seen a Canucks game last year? Honest question. Because all of what you just said inclines me to believe you have not.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don't doubt that Markstrom has improved but why give him this deal? Little experience, average goaltender... No one is beating down the door for Jacob freaking Markstrom.

Vancouver continues to give mediocre players lots of money.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Maybe not so much that he improved, but rather he made it through a full NHL season without imploding. He was always extremely talented, but over his career whenever he got called up to the big league his confidence/game collapsed.

I agree with that. It's been a confidence thing. Melanson also worked with him on limiting his movement and making him more efficient. It seems to have paid off as he looked more in control this year. But I agree with you that the biggest change is in his confidence. Goal tending is a position that requires a lot of mental strength.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Only non canuck fans think this is terrible. MArky was really good on a terrible team. He is and will be worth it.

He was decent and showed flashes of high level play but overall had a family average season. Considering that he is only 30 something starts removed from being on the waiver wire the price does seem high. Hopefully he takes a step forward next year to establish himself.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
I've only been on here for a matter of days, but I continue to be amazed at the lack of general hockey knowledge among Leaf fans. You expect that type of arrogance from a team with recent cups. I truly enjoy all their posts.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Happy as an Oiler fan. We have this guys number.

He had a .910 save percentage against the Oilers this year. That's below average but hardly "having his number"

Cap hit is about 500K higher than I'd like for this deal, but by Benning standards this is okay.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I get a chuckle at the comments about waivers.

Canucks management deliberately had him play in SJ the same night the team played in Vancouver just to keep him from being televised and slip him through waivers. And that was before Clouts got to really hone what Rollie had started.

Will need to revisit this thread at the end of next season.

I agree with Bowie on this one. Had difficulty typing that.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
it is a good deal. Notice how every Canuck fan thinks it's a good deal, including the most critical fans? probably because they watch him play.

I like the deal. Markstrom was strong for Van last season. He's showed a LOT of growth in his game over his last 3 seasons. Not worried at all here.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
My take is, although it will seem high next year given the fact he's a backup. When he slides into a starter role the year after, all he really needs to be is a top 15 goalie in the league, if that happends, then this will be a VERY good deal for the Canucks. I would imagine that is the hope, as this is the 27th highest AAV for G's.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Look at all of these posters who have watched the Canucks enough to have seen Markstrom play most of his 32 games last year to make an informed opinion on him. I had no idea so many Canucks fans were on HF Boards!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad