Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Do you have anything to prove these claims

And the last 2 years? He was ok this past year as #2 but was miserable the year before and other times he played in NHL

Those praising deal and propping up Markstrom have the same mentality that Oiler fans had when they acquired Scrivens

I'm stating my opinion based on watching them both develop. The stats have to be taken in context. Markstrom is showing me that he should be a good starter, albeit on a bad team.

In no way am I saying he'll be as good as Cory though. It was clear that Schneider would be a franchise goalie.

He could end up like Scrivens. Playing on bad teams can ruin good goalies too. But the Canucks won't be as dysfunctional as those Oiler teams, and so I don't see the same outcome for Markstrom.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, people need to watch him play on a daily bases to realize that he's becoming a very decent starter.
But other fans won't realize this.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
11-25, .898 sv% and a 3.20 gaa gets you $3.67M?

Interesting.

I can't believe nobody has signed Brandon Prust after he scored 115 points.

I'm no Benning supporter, but this deal is fine by me. This year was an audition for the starter role. He played the toughest games and looked good doing so. Adding in some easier games will make his stats look nicer.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Do you have anything to prove these claims

And the last 2 years? He was ok this past year as #2 but was miserable the year before and other times he played in NHL

Those praising deal and propping up Markstrom have the same mentality that Oiler fans had when they acquired Scrivens
Yeah, numbers. Markstrom = 0.915%, Talbot = 0.917%. Markstrom is 26, Talbot is 29. Reimer had 0.919% SV%.

He put up excellent numbers in the minor leagues and he's starting to put up #1 numbers in the NHL. Most NHL goalies develop like this, I don't know why it's so hard for you understand that Markstrom is developing into a #1 and was better than Miller most nights last season.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Don't tell them the truth man, that defeats the narrative that anything and everything the Canucks do is terrible and any success they have is purely luck or coincidence.

So he's posted one season of at least league average SV%. You know who else did that? Ondrej Pavelec. Maybe Markstrom will prove himself worth the contract, but a 32 game sample size in one season is hardly enough to hang your hat on.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
[MOD]. Markstrom is already better than a lot of goalies making more. So what if he was on waivers. He had problems in his game which have been corrected. Coming to this goalie factory was the best thing for his career

Last edited by a moderator:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
There was also some speculation that the adjustments to goalie equipment could impact Markstrom since he apparently wears giant pants. Media in Vancouver was speculating they should maybe wait to see how he adjusts, but it's Benning so....PAY HIM ALL THE DOLLARS!

Sad but true

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
So he's posted one season of at least league average SV%. You know who else did that? Ondrej Pavelec. Maybe Markstrom will prove himself worth the contract, but a 32 game sample size in one season is hardly enough to hang your hat on.

Maybe for someone who's either just a stat watcher or a terrible talent evaluator. Both aren't very flattering

pomx

May 15, 2014
90% of you haven't watched a single Markstrome game. Last year he was brilliant, and is going to be our starter when Miller's contract is up. Great signing and term.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

People act like a 3 year deal is going to cripple the canucks for the the next 10 years.

HELLO THEY AREN'T A GOOD TEAM.

If anything this helps them get higher quality lottery picks.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Everyone is basing this deal on Markstrom's prior reputation. I'm the biggest realist when it comes to projections about the Canucks and I think this is a fine deal - because Markstrom is the real deal.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Wow a lot of coin for a guy who has accomplished very little the NHL

super questionable move by Benning

You could say the same thing about pretty much every contract signed these days.
The salary cap forces you to roll the dice by paying for future performance and hope it pays off.

3.67 would put Markstrom as the 28th highest paid goalie next year. I don't really see what the big deal is. That's peanuts compared to what most teams are spending on their starting goalie. If you don't feel Markstrom has the ability to be a average starting goalie in this league thats fine but i disagree.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

What exactly is the point of bringing up Pavelec when Pavs was signed to a significantly worse contract than Markstrom? Aside from that I see your point that Markstrom isn't as proven as one would like, but a three year contract isn't much of a gamble, especially for this team.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Probably could have signed him for less with a different GM, but there wasn't really much of a choice here. Markstrom will make $1.55M this season, then along with Miller will be a UFA afterwards.

Sure he could suck and maybe play 10-20 games with a 0.900 sv%, then the deal would look horrible. Or he could play amazing going 50-60 games and 0.925, and the contract would be a huge steal. But the reasonable projection is something in the middle, 40-50 games and puts up another 0.915 sv% again. At that point he's a safe bet to move forward as our full time starter and the contract is perfectly fair market value, already well established by a bunch of other goalies recently.

This isn't in anyway comparable to the Sbisa or Dorsett signing, or even the Sutter extension. The best part for me is it should be confirmation that they will be moving ahead with Markstrom, not Miller. Or at least as a stop gap while Demko develops in the minors then graduates to NHL backup.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

People act like a 3 year deal is going to cripple the canucks for the the next 10 years.

HELLO THEY AREN'T A GOOD TEAM.

If anything this helps them get higher quality lottery picks.

thats what the fans want. Team thinks they are competing for the third pacific spot.

Roberto Lu bongo

Apr 14, 2016
Also worth noting that he is under contract next year with a cap hit of 1.5 mil before this extension even kicks in

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Also worth noting - the majority of Canuck fans on HF have no problem ripping into Benning over the variety of dumb moves he's done... but none of us have much of a problem with this signing. That should say something.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If he plays like he did this year for another year, then this is a fine contract. And if it doesn't work out, it's only three years.

I honestly think that some of Benning's moves get satirized just because it's Benning making them. He's an awful GM, but this isn't even bad.

Rede

Jun 21, 2010
Gibson isn't a fair comparable - Markstrom is a UFA when his current contract expires.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I've enjoyed Marky the more he plays. He's gaining serious confidence and has become quite a good goaltender. IMHO you have him for 4 more years, if he hadn't had this 1.55 year tacked on to this contract before this coming entension, the deal would essentially be 12 for 4, which brings the cap to 3 and that is what most would expect to pay a goaltender they've spent the past three of seasons developing.
Markstrom had some tough starts early on after a groin injury but once December hit he seemed to find rhythm in his game and was handed the #1 role while Miller got hurt. He was basically the only reason this Canucks team won more than 4 games in the final 35.

His progression in the system and with the team earns him the slightly higher hit but he'll prove in the 40 games or so he's expected to get this coming season he's fully worth the chance as a starter. He played well with a worse team last season, Guddy in, full season of Tryamkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad