Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Meh. He's tracking to be a decent starter, and looked pretty good last year behind an atrocious team.

Probably about 500k more than he should have gotten, but he's a stop-gap for Demko so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
"So-and-so will be off the books"... or...."this buys time for this prospect" is such a stupid argument. Whether or not either of those things happen, Markstrom's contract is Markstrom's contract. He had a year left on his deal, why couldn't they wait and see if he's legit?
Because that's not how the world works. You don't get to make the same deal after seeing what you have, if they waited then Markstrom would demand more because he would look more like a NHL starting goalie. That's why they signed him now, there's a little risk, but if he can maintain his play, it's worth signing him. If last season was a fluke then Markstrom is an overpaid back-up, but I don't think it is and most don't think last season was a fluke.

And, "this buys time for this prospect" is actually one of the reasons Benning make the deal. All GMs take into account when prospects will be ready for the NHL. All GMs do it and it's actually pretty basic when you negotiate with your players.

Good deal for Canucks, cheap deal for a goalie that will be starting in the league very soon and a bridge for Demko.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Lmao at people ripping this deal.
Yes it's a overpayment, but so what? What else are we gonna do? Resign Miller?
Rush Demko?

Ripping? Seems like most are saying it's an over payment, which it is.

"What are we doing to do?" Perhaps sign him to a lower figure contract? It's likely not going to be much of an issue, as I'm confident Markstrom will be worth the money, but it's certainly more than he's earned. Not a huge deal, but again Benning hasn't proven he's very good at getting the best value with these kinds of contracts.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
That is a bad overpayment currently ,, If Markstrom doesn't work out then they will have a very costly untradeable backup

We're not gonna be a contender in the next couple years, so either he plays to or above his contract and great, we have a nice asset to do with what we need, or he will suck and help us get closer to high draft picks. And having him as a 1b or backup to Demko is the last year of his contract is no big deal, as Demko will be on a cheap contract anyways.

There is literally nothing wrong with this contract, or at least not in a way that is going to hurt us in any significant way.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
"So-and-so will be off the books"... or...."this buys time for this prospect" is such a stupid argument. Whether or not either of those things happen, Markstrom's contract is Markstrom's contract. He had a year left on his deal, why couldn't they wait and see if he's legit?
Because he is and will.
Waiting til next year to extend him will require much more $$

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Anaheim defense is not that good is my point. Gibson is a lot better than Markström and gets $1.3M less.

Gibson is an RFA. The two contracts simply aren't comparable. He'll be getting his big contract soon enough.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
no he isnt.

he plays behind a contender. or should i said did hahaha

If you actually think Markstrom is better than Anderson then I don't know what to tell you.

Wasn't Markstrom on waivers a year ago? Now after 32 games of average NHL level goaltending he's better than Anderson? :laugh:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Anaheim defense is not that good is my point. Gibson is a lot better than Markström and gets $1.3M less.
I'm guessing the $1.3M is the Benningment as that has been true since he started as GM.

i would trade vancouvers entire defense for lindolm and fowler if we can keep juolevi.

what a joke

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Did anyone else think the OP tweet was a gif of Benning face-palming or smiling evilly or something but then realized it was actually serious? :laugh:

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Because that's not how the world works. You don't get to make the same deal after seeing what you have, if they waited then Markstrom would demand more because he would look more like a NHL starting goalie. That's why they signed him now, there's a little risk, but if he can maintain his play, it's worth signing him. If last season was a fluke then Markstrom is an overpaid back-up, but I don't think it is and most don't think last season was a fluke.

And, "this buys time for this prospect" is actually one of the reasons Benning make the deal. All GMs take into account when prospects will be ready for the NHL. All GMs do it and it's actually pretty basic when you negotiate with your players.

Good deal for Canucks, cheap deal for a goalie that will be starting in the league very soon and a bridge for Demko.

Seems like a lot of faith to be putting into Demko. Goalies are extremely unpredictable. Markstrom is a perfect example. A few years ago he was considered the best goalie prospect in the NHL, higher regarded than Demko

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
i would trade vancouvers entire defense for lindolm and fowler if we can keep juolevi.

what a joke

"not that good" >>> "terrible mess"

Markström did nothing to justify this deal. It's the definition of overpayment. Deal with it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, the Canucks are just...Yikes.

This makes Jake Allen's deal look very good.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Meh. He's tracking to be a decent starter, and looked pretty good last year behind an atrocious team.

Probably about 500k more than he should have gotten, but he's a stop-gap for Demko so I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Yup then a combo of markstrom/demko cap hit in 2017/18/19 will be a combined $4.6M per.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
THIS

Another truly terrible deal by Benning.

It's not a good deal, but it's certainly not a "truly terrible deal". Markstrom is a good player and will likely be worth what he's paid. What makes the deal weak, is there was no real pressure to pay him this much money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad