Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Don't hate it. With the way Markstrom has progressed these last two years, this could be a really good deal, really soon. He was the best player on the ice and somehow managed to keep that tire-fire team in a lot of games last season. This spells the end for Miller in Vancouver and the stopgap until Demko is ready.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
Lmao hilarious how many people haven't watched a single Canucks game if they're saying this deal is bad. The only bright spot in our entire last year was goaltending both Miller and Markstrom (more so marky due to the starts he got - all the tough ones and back to backs)

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
UFA vs RFA deal..

Reimer has proven much more at this point. Last year was the first time we've seen any sort of decent stretch from Markstrom. Way too much money for a still unproven player who I admit I am a big fan of but still, way too much money.

To be fair Markstrom has one more year at a paltry $1.55M per, another year of getting ready for the #1 role, with the vet Miller sharing 50% duties.

Just banking on Marky getting better next season and earning that 3.66m per after that, it's a solid bet.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Not worried. I think it will turn out to be a fair contract especially if he can continue building on what he did last season.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
andersen is a better goalie than markstrom, but both contracts are slight overpays.

Yep, no doubt. Both overpaid. Markstrom not as good but makes less money and less term.

Hopefully they both can play up to their contract.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
i think most of you guys haven't seen him play. its not a bad contract, for what he has shown. the sample size isn't big, but he is a solid goalie.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
It might be a bit of an overpayment, but I don't mind.
The guy put up a 0.915% save percentage on the 3rd worst team in the league that had atrocious defence. He's got all the tools, lead our AHL team to the Calder Cup, and has finally started to live up to the hype that he had when he was drafted. With Miller off the books next year, $3.67 mill isn't a bad price for our starting goalie for 2 years. It fits the 'retool' or whatever you want to call it that this team is going into.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Lmao at people ripping this deal.
Yes it's a overpayment, but so what? What else are we gonna do? Resign Miller?
Rush Demko?

I think other team fanbases are just not used to see their team give 10M dollars over 3 years to a goalie that has proved nothing at the age of 26. :laugh:

Getting used the Benning factor I see

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Lmao at people ripping this deal.
Yes it's a overpayment, but so what? What else are we gonna do? Resign Miller?
Rush Demko?

"Yeah its an overpayment, but so what? What else are we gonna do?"

This is exactly how teams stay bad for so long. How can anyone say an overpayment is not a big deal? Pretty clear that overpaying a few players on your team prevents you from adding talent elsewhere since after all, there is a salary cap...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad