Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
I might be a bit tired but I've seen few people in this thread say Canucks are a goalie factory? Please do name these goalies to me? Cory Schneider and ?? As in goalie Canucks drafted / turned into elite goalies after being traded to Canucks

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's a lot for a guy that could be nothing more than a good back-up.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Brutal deal? Holy hyperbole and mostly from Leaf fans. Hmmm.
Markstrom improved significantly last year. The deal is fine.

At the end of the day we are talking about a 26 year old goalie who had an average showing in a small sample set

It isn't like he went Hamburgler to cap off the year, he put up a .915 in 30 games

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I might be a bit tired but I've seen few people in this thread say Canucks are a goalie factory? Please do name these goalies to me? Cory Schneider and ?? As in goalie Canucks drafted / turned into elite goalies after being traded to Canucks

Eddie Lack would be the other one, was a free prospect signing that was converted into a starting goalie. While I don't agree we are a "goalie factory" (seems like strange and hyperbolic terms to me) our goalie coaches have done a great job since coming in, which albeit was only a short time ago.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At the end of the day we are talking about a 26 year old goalie who had an average showing in a small sample set

It isn't like he went Hamburgler to cap off the year, he put up a .915 in 30 games

Yes, and did you watch the team in front of him.
His numbers were not all that different than Andersen who got to play for the Ducks and he played 33% more games than Andersen.
Both are age 26 as well.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
.......have you seen a Canucks game last year? Honest question. Because all of what you just said inclines me to believe you have not.

He had his best season ever last year, I will grant you that. No of course I didn't watch all of his games.

That still doesn't grant him the right to $3.67MM AAV. A backup who gets that should probably have proven a little more than what he has. It was his first season playing more than 23 games and while he may have greatly improved, he hasn't earned quite that much yet. He's 2 years younger than Reimer (26 vs 28) yet makes more than he does. I'm not sure how that math is supposed to work out.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan

not a goalie factory, but since 2006 Canucks have had a stable presence back in net.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Always have such a laugh on here as soon as Vancouver do any sort of transaction!

Markstrom has taken massive strides these past two years and will have a 1.6 million cap hit next season as a backup. Miller's contract is up as Markstroms starts making him a serviceable starter at 3.67mil a year. Its a good deal. Reimer is being paid a little less to be a backup in Florida for 5 years.

It comes in at roughly around market value in a years time for good backups, Markstrom will be an average NHL starter, he's close to it already.

It's almost like none of you have really watched him play....?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
He had his best season ever last year, I will grant you that. No of course I didn't watch all of his games.

That still doesn't grant him the right to $3.67MM AAV. A backup who gets that should probably have proven a little more than what he has. It was his first season playing more than 23 games and while he may have greatly improved, he hasn't earned quite that much yet. He's 2 years younger than Reimer (26 vs 28) yet makes more than he does. I'm not sure how that math is supposed to work out.

Not yet. He has one year to show that he is worth it. In this market not as if there are other options in terms of selling hope. Sure they can try to trade for MAF, but doesn't really fit. Anyone else is really a stop gap anyways. Goal is to develop Demko. This is ideal term to give him time in the AHL and two years in the NHL to take the #1 job.

Don't think k the canucks care too much about his numbers from Florida. Care about what he has done since being acquired.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
He played lights out last year? Jesus. 36th in the league in GAA, looks like the light went out quite a bit.

I'm not saying he's bad, but lights out is a stretch.

Another poster who never watched him. This thread is comical. Vancouver gave up the most high quality chances in the nhl. Shocking defence how bad IT was

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I was always pulling for Markstrom in Florida. Perhaps a bit high for what he's done so far in the league, but hopefully this means he takes over the reigns from Miller.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
He played lights out last year? Jesus. 36th in the league in GAA, looks like the light went out quite a bit.

I'm not saying he's bad, but lights out is a stretch.

GAA is a team stat if anything; it means nothing on its own. And the Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
But was he lights out? I'd say he was ok, but lights out? C'mon, man.

What goalie is lights out every game? Ok.. I will say the amount of times he single handedky got the canucks points was 10-15 of his starts out of 32.

No goalie hall of famer or not could help that defense

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
GAA is a team stat if anything; it means nothing on its own. And the Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league.

Fair enough, he shared a similar season to Rask in that regard with SV% - And according to most Bruins fans, he had an atrocious season. Lights out for one guy, and atrocious for another, yet the same save percentage.

Again, not saying Markstrom is bad, he's ok. But again, saying he was lights out is actually pretty damn wrong.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Don't think the critics here realize the deal doesn't start until after this season.

Really it is 4 years at 3 million AAV

That is dirt cheap for a goalie like Markstrom.

Great deal!

We are all Jim Benning.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What goalie is lights out every game? Ok.. I will say the amount of times he single handedky got the canucks points was 10-15 of his starts out of 32.

No goalie hall of famer or not could help that defense

Fair enough, but how was he in the games he didn't single handedly get the Canucks points? His numbers aren't great, so either he gives up 1-2 goals, and saves 35 shots, or he allows 5 goals on 20 judging by his stats and what you're saying.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
A bit high, but he should be just fine and this is a good stop gap contract to see how he does until Demko takes the reins. Starting next year the Canucks will be paying under 5 mill for good goalkeeping, which is where we should be at this stage.

kcirtap yad

Dec 29, 2015
I think other team fanbases are just not used to see their team give 10M dollars over 3 years to a goalie that has proved nothing at the age of 26. :laugh:

Getting used the Benning factor I see

[MOD] He's getting paid what he should be getting paid. Miller is a goner next year and the net is Markstroms so yeah. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad