WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR)
F - Ryan Carter (ANA)
F - T.J. Oshie (STL)
F - Nick Foligno (OTT)

D - Jack Johnson (LAK)
D - Andy Greene (NJD)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)
D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Matt Gilroy (NYR)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)
G - Ben Bishop (AHL) --- Practice goalie

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury
F - Patrick O'Sullivan (EDM) --- Wedding
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree
F - Dustin Brown (LAK) --- Injury

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- Mental Exhaustion

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason

Mulling Invitations:
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Will Play if Invited:
D - Paul Martin (NJD)

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards (MIN)
Assistant Coach: Ron Rolston (USNTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Burke really screwed up here by prematurely iving spots to Lundin/Hillen/Gilroy/Chorney. I guys like Yandle, Martin, or Suter don't get on because he took those guys...:help:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. He didn't have to give out those spots so quickly. He should of waited til around now to start naming those players to the team if he couldn't get some of the better players. That will drive me crazy if someone like Yandle does not make the team if he wants to play because the spots are filled.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Joe Sacco to be on the coaching staff as well. TJ Galiardi also in the mix: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010/04/28/sacco-to-coach-at-world-championships/

I think the good news is Gordon and Co will get the most out of what will be a very young team. There's some talent here, so if the goaltending can hold up, I think we can secure at least a top five finish. Anything beyond that is gravy IMO.

Nice addition with Sacco. Three young US coaches here getting a chance, I like it. Poor Ron Rolston relegated to water boy duty? :laugh:

Hopefully Sacco can nudge Anderson our way. :naughty: Galiardi would be nice but we're really going to need a balanced effort from all lines because outside of Oshie, Okposo and Dubi, we won't have any "go-to" offensive guys at this point.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Thats exactly what I was thinking. He didn't have to give out those spots so quickly. He should of waited til around now to start naming those players to the team if he couldn't get some of the better players. That will drive me crazy if someone like Yandle does not make the team if he wants to play because the spots are filled.

Two big assumptions here...that all those eliminated d-men after the 1st round would want to play and that if they didn't the fringe guys you passed over originally would want to come back and play.

This is no different the any other year. Hillen is fine on this team and I've read a lot of good accounts of Lundin from Tampa fans (best d-man on their team). Are Gilroy/Chorney likely to be the fringe guys that maybe you wish we could replace? Yeah but this is how it's always played out. If these guys weren't planning on playing in this tournament they'd probably be on vacation or starting their summer and not be available.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005

I agree, however, Burke doesn't have the luxury of waiting until the end of the first round of the playoffs to begin inviting players. On the other hand, he might have been a little hasty adding the likes of Lundin and Chorney. There are at most two more spots for the blueline and three good d-men available in Suter, Martin, and Yandle.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

Couldn't agree more. I remember seeing the initial 12 guys named and thought, "WTF?" And other posters were like, "Well, he's got to fill up the roster with someone, and most of the Olympic guys aren't going to play." That's fine and dandy, but do you need to be in such a rush to fill out a roster that you end up taking our "D" team? Do you really think if you waited until now to invite Taylor Chorney he'd say, "No thanks, you waited too long"?

This is no surprise though, recall that last year Zach Parise wanted to play once the Devils got eliminated but he'd just given the last spot to Scott Clemmensen the day before (who, if I recall, never got on the ice for us). For a guy that was so careful in choosing the Olympic roster, it almost seems like with the Worlds he just sends out a bunch of invitations and says, "Okay, first guys to respond get the spots."

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Two big assumptions here...that all those eliminated d-men after the 1st round would want to play and that if they didn't the fringe guys you passed over originally would want to come back and play.

I assume the fringe guys would play even if they were initially passed up. I'm sure someone like Jack Hillen understands his place in the American talent hierarchy and wouldn't turn down a "sloppy seconds" spot that was passed on by more talented players. Can you imagine that conversation: "What do you mean you wanted to invite Paul Martin over me? And only when he said no are you inviting me? Screw you." That probably wouldn't happen. Especially since Burke has a long memory and is known to hold grudges against guys who turn down the Worlds without good reason.

Or how about this: why not make conditional appointments? Approach a guy like Hillen and tell him, "We want to extend you an invitation but we reserve the right to revoke it at any time before we actually leave." I doubt he'd jeopardize his standing with Burke by saying, "Hey, if I'm not your first choice I'm not going."

I don't see why he couldn't do either. Instead he rushed into filling a roster which on paper has little chance to win.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I assume the fringe guys would play even if they were initially passed up. I'm sure Jack Hillen understands his place in the American talent hierarchy and wouldn't turn down a "sloppy seconds" spot that was passed on by more talented players. Especially since Burke has a long memory and is known to hold grudges against guys who turn down the Worlds without good reason.

Or how about this: why not make conditional appointments? Approach a guy like Hillen and tell him, "We want to extend you an invitation but we reserve the right to revoke it at any time before we actually leave." I doubt he'd jeopardize his standing with Burke by saying, "Hey, if I'm not your first choice I'm not going."

I don't see he couldn't do either. Instead he rushed into filling a roster which on paper has little chance to win.

I'm guessing you didn't watch Jack Hillen play this year if you're labeling him a "fringe" guy. It's not that they might not still want to play but they would they still be available to play? These guys just don't sit on their hands and wait around for a call 4 weeks down the line that might not come. Chorney is back at UND training and skating to keep in shape for the tournament. Would he be doing that if he didn't know if he would go? Probably not. They all have friends and families they barely see during the season that they would like to spend time with before they start to prepare for training camp.

Because USA Hockey probably doesn't feel like ostracizing a potential pool of players by offering them a commitment with no legs to stand on while demanding a full commitment in return? You're still overestimating how much this tournament means to the average American hockey player and also assuming these guys have no lives outside of hockey, and that the majority of our better talent would play, as all the declined invitations so far show isn't true.

And for all this talk about defenseman, we've added 2 since the first round ended with only 3 really worth considering that there hasn't been word on. Will Martin play as an UFA coming off an injury riddled year (he said he would but no word since but Greene was named. I'm guessing he met with his agent and they rethought)? Will Suter play or will he decline like every other Olympian sans Johnson?

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Washington eliminated....

Mike Knuble and Joe Corvo available...John Carlson will/should be heading back to Hersey for the AHL playoffs and Tom Poti is injured.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I honestly hope Joe Corvo dosent get on the team.. I would much rather Suter, Martin, Yandle before him... what about Tim Gleason??

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I honestly hope Joe Corvo dosent get on the team.. I would much rather Suter, Martin, Yandle before him... what about Tim Gleason??

Yeah I'm not a big Corvo fan either. I'm sure that's going to make AmericanDream happy :laugh:

Gleason has an injured foot IIRC and missed the last month or so of the season so he won't be available.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm guessing you didn't watch Jack Hillen play this year if you're labeling him a "fringe" guy. It's not that they might not still want to play but they would they still be available to play? These guys just don't sit on their hands and wait around for a call 4 weeks down the line that might not come. Chorney is back at UND training and skating to keep in shape for the tournament. Would he be doing that if he didn't know if he would go? Probably not. They all have friends and families they barely see during the season that they would like to spend time with before they start to prepare for training camp.

Because USA Hockey probably doesn't feel like ostracizing a potential pool of players by offering them a commitment with no legs to stand on while demanding a full commitment in return? You're still overestimating how much this tournament means to the average American hockey player and also assuming these guys have no lives outside of hockey, and that the majority of our better talent would play, as all the declined invitations so far show isn't true.

And for all this talk about defenseman, we've added 2 since the first round ended with only 3 really worth considering that there hasn't been word on. Will Martin play as an UFA coming off an injury riddled year (he said he would but no word since but Greene was named. I'm guessing he met with his agent and they rethought)? Will Suter play or will he decline like every other Olympian sans Johnson?

Well excuuuuuse meeee for using Hillen as an example of what I would deem a "fringe player." Let's just subsitute Matt Gilroy for Jack Hillen in my previous posts, since apparently Hillen is the second coming of Brian Leetch in your mind. Seriously, if you're criticizing me for labeling Hillen as a "fringe player," you need to switch to decaf. If you sat down and generated a complete list of USA's "A" through "E" teams, would Hillen even make the "C" team?

Taylor Chorney working out 24/7 at UND is still about half the player as Keith Yandle is in his sleep. Yet you're totally on board with Burke inviting Chorney right off the bat without waiting just a little while to figure out who his best possible options might be. And now, Martin, Suter, and Yandle are available and, contract status aside, if all three wanted to play Burke would have to turn one of them down because he already extended invitations to slugs like Chorney and Gilroy. I'll tell you what, I'm American and I play hockey--maybe next year Burke can offer me a spot instead of just waiting a few days to see who the best available players might be. I guarantee I'd accept!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Well excuuuuuse meeee for using Hillen as an example of what I would deem a "fringe player." Let's just subsitute Matt Gilroy for Jack Hillen in my previous posts, since apparently Hillen is the second coming of Brian Leetch in your mind. Seriously, if you're criticizing me for labeling Hillen as a "fringe player," you need to switch to decaf. If you sat down and generated a complete list of USA's "A" through "E" teams, would Hillen even make the "C" team?

Taylor Chorney working out 24/7 at UND is still about half the player as Keith Yandle is in his sleep. Yet you're totally on board with Burke inviting Chorney right off the bat without waiting just a little while to figure out who his best possible options might be. And now, Martin, Suter, and Yandle are available and, contract status aside, if all three wanted to play Burke would have to turn one of them down because he already extended invitations to slugs like Chorney and Gilroy. I'll tell you what, I'm American and I play hockey--maybe next year Burke can offer me a spot instead of just waiting a few days to see who the best available players might be. I guarantee I'd accept!

First time following this tournament eh?

Since none of these guys outside of Johnson are locks for the A or B teams lets cut them all!

But yes, based on all your assumptions, I agree with you that if those 3 all want to play then Burke screwed up.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah I'm not a big Corvo fan either. I'm sure that's going to make AmericanDream happy :laugh:

Gleason has an injured foot IIRC and missed the last month or so of the season so he won't be available.

damn, the cheap shots just keep coming from you ......

you might not be a fan of Joe Corvo, but my Oak Park Illinois native would make our #1 pairing in a heartbeat at this point. I would take Corvo....or are you hoping for Francis Boullion instead????

I see all your guys posts back and forth, and it is sad that we can't get more talent to play in this tournament. They younger guys seem to answer the bell, but even some of our younger guys aren't interested this time. I just hope that Burke still has some magic left and lands us Anderson, Martin, Yandle, Suter, Stempniak, Pominville, and Stafford at this point. Top end forwards doesnt really look like its going to happen at this point. Parise, Kessel, and Connolly seem to be lost causes, so the rest of the offense may go to a David Legwand.....or Colin Wilson at this point.

Oshie, Okposo, and Dubinsky cant do all the scoring, we need more help or else this amazing year (WJC, U18, U17 Gold....2010 Olympic silver)..will end on a sour note.

bottom line is we need more Corvo.....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kevin Allen confirms Matt Greene and Keith Yandle are on board. He also indicates Ben Bishop is the #2 behind Scott Clemmensen, but we'll see about that.

As for this conversation going on-I don't think people understand how difficult it is to put together a quality team at the end of a long NHL season, especially in an Olympic year (not to mention contract issues and inuries). IMO, Burke and Poile are doing a pretty good job putting together a squad from a player pool that isn't nearly as deep as Canada's. Also, it seems like some new guys are getting a chance to shine, which is fine as well.

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It looks like the team is set:

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&plckUserId=7f199720956b03f0&UID=7f199720956b03f0

I'm actually OK with this roster. I like giving the new kids a chance to shine.

Also added: Chris Kreider (BC), Tim Kennedy (Buffalo), TJ Galiardi (Colorado)

I count 22 players there, we get to take 25, yes? Wonder who the other three will be. At least one more goalie I hope. Give Esche a call. I'm comfortable with Clemmensen in net but if he goes down, Ben Bishop?

Despite my opinion that Burke rushed naming the roster and could have ended up with something better if he'd been patient, I can get behind this team.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
wow chris kreider gets an invite? is this for real? that's a hell of a honor for the kid to play with those pros.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I count 22 players there, we get to take 25, yes? Wonder who the other three will be. At least one more goalie I hope. Give Esche a call. I'm comfortable with Clemmensen in net but if he goes down, Ben Bishop?

David Leggio of the finnish SM-Liiga team TPS.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
good on Jack Johnson for always answering the bell...

shouldn't there be more Sabres? or do they all have a broken fingernail or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad