WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Colorado eliminated....

Craig Anderson, T.J. Galiardi, J.M. Liles, Paul Stastny, and Peter Mueller is available.

It's hard to say on these guys. Mueller is a no because he missed the whole series with a concussion. Galiardi, who knows if he'll even be asked. Liles would be a bit redundant at this point. Anderson and Stastny are the big targets but both have had long seasons. Anderson started 77 games this year. Hopefully he wants to go and doesn't hold the Olympic "snub" against USA hockey.

Ottawa eliminated....

Matt Cullen, Nick Foligno, and Ryan Shannon available. Cullen would be a good addition but the other two would be more of the same to the 3rd and 4th liners already on the team.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
LA eliminated....

Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Jon Quick, Rob Scuderi, and Matt Greene available.

I'd be shocked if Johnson didn't go. Brown is a toss up but I think he'll go. Quick won't and shouldn't go. He's been terrible since the break. It's hard to say on Scuderi or Greene with the Olympic ice.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
LA eliminated....

Jack Johnson, Dustin Brown, Jon Quick, Rob Scuderi, and Matt Greene available.

I'd be shocked if Johnson didn't go. Brown is a toss up but I think he'll go. Quick won't and shouldn't go. He's been terrible since the break. It's hard to say on Scuderi or Greene with the Olympic ice.

I think JJ will go. Greene answered the call several times while playing in Edmonton so I think he'll be there. I like guys like Scott Parse and Peter Harrold but I'd rather not see them in Germany.

With Colorado and LA both eliminated, Burke and co. certainly have plenty to choose from.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's who I think will go out of the eliminated teams so far:

Zach Parise
Andy Greene
Jack Johnson
Nick Foligno
Matt Cullen
T.J. Galiardi
John Michael-Liles

I'd love to see Anderson get the nod, but I think he and Quick are worn out mentally and physically.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Im dying to see some accepted invites haha.. Someone take a guess on when we will find out about some of these invitations

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
There have been no official invitations handed out to any of the American players on the Devils, but they were contacted. Defensemen Paul Martin and Andy Greene both said they would like to play if invited.

Parise, who played for the U.S. at the Olympics, said he “probably†would not go.

“I think I need a break,†he said.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...rement_kovalchuk_unsure_if_coach_will_impact/

Zach still sounds beat up about 1) The Devils collapse and 2) Going into another off-season without a coach. Hopefully he changes his mind but it's certainly understandable if he decides not to go but I think you'll see Burke give him an open offer with some nudging. Martin and Greene would be great additions.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR)
F - Ryan Carter (ANA)
F - T.J. Oshie (STL)
F - Nick Foligno (OTT)

D - Jack Johnson (LAK)
D - Andy Greene (NJD)
D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)
D - Matt Gilroy (NYR)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury
F - Patrick O'Sullivan (EDM) --- Wedding
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree
F - Dustin Brown (LAK) --- Injury

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- Mental Exhaustion

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason

Mulling Invitations:
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Will Play if Invited:
D - Paul Martin (NJD)
D - Andy Greene (NJD)

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards (MIN)
Assistant Coach: Ron Rolston (USNTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
According to Andy Strickland: "Looks like T.J. Oshie's shoulder has checked out ok. He's expected to be named to USA roster for upcoming World Championships"

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Martin, Greene, and Oshie would be nice additions. I we can get some quality top six forwards and top four defensemen we'll be in good shape.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Can Galiardi for sure play for the US considering he was born in Canada?

He's a dual citizen as his mother is from Phoenix. He attended the USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp in 2007 but failed to make the World Junior team.

So he's basically a free agent at this point since he's never represented either country in an IIHF tournament. It will just depend on him being invited, which is highly unlikely by Canada and I'd say 50/50 at best for us. I like Galiardi but I'd prefer other guys at this point but we'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Buffalo eliminated....

Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly, Paul Gaustad, Patrick Kaleta, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford available.

I'd be shocked if Miller went. He's probably exhausted from the Olympics and carrying a piss poor team to the playoffs where they didn't belong. It would be awesome if he did go though.

Other than Connolly and Pominville, I wouldn't even offer anyone else. Gaustad doesn't fit on the big ice, Kaleta's role is taken and Stafford is injured and has completely stagnated in his development. Others like Kennedy/Gerbe/Butler shouldn't and won't be offered either.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Buffalo eliminated....

Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly, Paul Gaustad, Patrick Kaleta, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford available.

I'd be shocked if Miller went. He's probably exhausted from the Olympics and carrying a piss poor team to the playoffs where they didn't belong. It would be awesome if he did go though.

Other than Connolly and Pominville, I wouldn't even offer anyone else. Gaustad doesn't fit on the big ice, Kaleta's role is taken and Stafford is injured and has completely stagnated in his development. Others like Kennedy/Gerbe/Butler shouldn't and won't be offered either.

You're unfortunately right about Stafford. He still has pontential but he may need a change of scenary. I actually like Tim Kennedy and see him as a second-line scorer.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nashville eliminated....

Ryan Suter, David Legwand, Colin Wilson and Francis Bouillon available.

Suter and Legwand would be good additions.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
if we can get...j-johnson, suter, greene, and martin i think our d would definatly be better than most of the other teams in the tourny

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Considering Canada just gained Doughty and Meyers for their blueline I'm willing to argue that unless Miller and Anderson say they'll go. ;)

No I would say the US still benefitted the most. They're gonna get some real NHL players on the blueline, thereby boosting them the highest.

Without the playoffs eliminations I think even the US fans here admit they would have been hurting quite a bit on defense.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
No I would say the US still benefitted the most. They're gonna get some real NHL players on the blueline, thereby boosting them the highest.

Without the playoffs eliminations I think even the US fans here admit they would have been hurting quite a bit on defense.

so canada adding the 2 D he named, 1 a calder favourite, and 1 a norris nominee arent real NHL players on the blueline?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
so canada adding the 2 D he named, 1 a calder favourite, and 1 a norris nominee arent real NHL players on the blueline?

I think he was commenting on the quality of the previous US defence and not the Canadian ones. Canada benefits, but they already had a better defence before the recent first round eliminations.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think he was commenting on the quality of the previous US defence and not the Canadian ones. Canada benefits, but they already had a better defence before the recent first round eliminations.

Exactly, Canada's roster was already pretty solid, granted it did get a lot better. The US on the other was looking pretty thin, especially on defense as I mentioned. If the US gets some of the blueliners discussed than the quality of their team goes from below average to pretty good.

Its a relativity thing.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
He's a dual citizen as his mother is from Phoenix. He attended the USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp in 2007 but failed to make the World Junior team.

So he's basically a free agent at this point since he's never represented either country in an IIHF tournament. It will just depend on him being invited, which is highly unlikely by Canada and I'd say 50/50 at best for us. I like Galiardi but I'd prefer other guys at this point but we'll see how it plays out.

I would guess both USA and Canada are probably interested in bringing him in this year. Like you said, the fact that he attended the USA camp makes me think he's more inclined to play for the States than Canada, but considering the kinds of players Canada invited (Downie:) and Ott:facepalm:), it's anyone's guess where he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad