WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I'm guessing because of how famous and big the Sutter family is in Canada and that he probably identifies as being Canadian more so than American.

I think identity is something people love to ignore in these situations. Sometimes, where your extended family lives and where you spend your summers growing up, etc. is what you identify with more than where you were born or went to school.

For every Zach Parise, there's someone in the same situation who will pick the other country.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Gilbert and O'Sullivan said no: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Long+summer+looms+Oilers/2904914/story.html

Explains Chorney and Potulny....

I would've bet those two guys were shoe-ins. Fair enough Paddy O - you're getting married - but what's Gilbert's excuse?

We need Umberger, Dubinsky, and Drury in a big way.

Losing O'Sullivan isn't a big deal. His game has gone down the tubes every year. I just figured he hadn't even been asked because he normally always represents the USA when asked. No loss here.

Gilbert hurts because as of right now Hillen is the only reliable guy on the back end so far. I hope he didn't turn down the offer because he didn't make the Olympic team because he's even admitted he had a terrible first half of the season.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR)
F - Ryan Carter (ANA)

D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)
D - Matt Gilroy (NYR)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury
F - Patrick O'Sullivan (EDM) --- Wedding

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- No reason

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason

Mulling Invitations:
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - T.J. Oshie (STL) --- Shoulder
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards (MIN)
Assistant Coach: Ron Rolston (USNTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Gilbert hurts because as of right now Hillen is the only reliable guy on the back end so far. I hope he didn't turn down the offer because he didn't make the Olympic team because he's even admitted he had a terrible first half of the season.

I'd would hope that with a World Cup coming next summer, guys wouldn't turn down the Worlds just because they're bitter about being left off the Olympic roster. Burke has demonstrated in the past that he's willing to say "screw you" to guys that turn down the Worlds (a.l.a. Tim Connolly, who got left off even the Olympic orientation camp roster despite being one of our very best centers). I'm sure when it comes time to choose the roster for the World Cup, this will hurt Gilbert's chances.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd would hope that with a World Cup coming next summer, guys wouldn't turn down the Worlds just because they're bitter about being left off the Olympic roster. Burke has demonstrated in the past that he's willing to say "screw you" to guys that turn down the Worlds (a.l.a. Tim Connolly, who got left off even the Olympic orientation camp roster despite being one of our very best centers). I'm sure when it comes time to choose the roster for the World Cup, this will hurt Gilbert's chances.

I'm sure it would but if the World Cup is actually scheduled for next year (other than the original announcement in January of 2009 there's been nothing new on it) Gilbert's chances were already slim anyway. I was just speculating on Gilbert's potential excuse. Originally he was saying he hadn't be offered a spot yet and then apparently he was but he declined. If there was a more telling reason (say injury/wedding/child birth) I just figure he would have mentioned that from the get go. Gilbert certainly isn't doing himself any favors though, especially for the reasons you point out, and it seems like Burke will be leading Team USA for a good while as long as he wants the job.

But it's hard to say though at this point. There were a lot of declined offers for the last World Championships leading into the Olympic year and it probably hurt some and not others. For example, Gilbert apparently accepted a spot on last year's WC team and then declined and no reason was ever made public but he was still invited to the Olympic orientation camp. Guys like Connolly (injury), Malone (injury), Booth (no contract), and Quick (injury) declined as well. The fact is this tournament has never carried much weight with American hockey players. Hopefully with the NTDP and a lot of the pride we see in a lot of the young American talent that will change going forward but it is what it is.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Pretty soon we'll be looking at guys from Europe/AHL/NCAA. What's Andy Roach up to?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pretty soon we'll be looking at guys from Europe/AHL/NCAA. What's Andy Roach up to?

Ironically he plays for the Berlin Polar Bears in the DEL and his team was just eliminated so he's available and wouldn't need to travel far to join the team.:laugh:

Might as well call up the Ferraro brothers and Ted Drury while we're at it.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Ironically he plays for the Berlin Polar Bears in the DEL and his team was just eliminated so he's available and wouldn't need to travel far to join the team.:laugh:

Might as well call up the Ferraro brothers and Ted Drury while we're at it.

Johnny Pohl is cash in the bank if we end up in the relegation round again. If we can get him we might as well see if Krissy Wendell wants to play too.

Too much?

Really though, it should be interesting seeing who can have a positive showing. If the other top nations are also suffering from the Olympic hangover we might be on more even footing than the roster itself indicates. Expectations are low and that's been a good thing the past year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Really though, it should be interesting seeing who can have a positive showing. If the other top nations are also suffering from the Olympic hangover we might be on more even footing than the roster itself indicates. Expectations are low and that's been a good thing the past year.

Only Canada and Russia seem like they'll potentially be a strong as normal so hopefully that will help mitigate some of the difficulty on putting together a decent roster. I'm not worried about the forward or goalie groups -- yet -- but the defense is definitely worrisome to put it nicely at this point.

Hopefully at least 2 of the guys we currently know are deciding on offers choose to play and then we hold off to 1st round eliminations.

If not, I nominate you to take a roster spot Cags. You wouldn't happen to play defense would you? :sarcasm:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
so 12 skater spots remaining correct? i'd like 3/4 mulling invites to join the squad! Cant wait.. also, i cant remember from last year but are the games in HD on universal sports? also what times are the games? is the may 7th game at 215 ET

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
so 12 skater spots remaining correct? i'd like 3/4 mulling invites to join the squad! Cant wait.. also, i cant remember from last year but are the games in HD on universal sports? also what times are the games? is the may 7th game at 215 ET

Correct.

I believe that's the case on the TV showings. If not, there's usually streams on the internet as well. Yep, 2:15 EST.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Don't forget Ron "Zero Gameplan" Rolston is the other associate coach! I can't say I'm surprised the response has been so lukewarm. Burke and co don't have as much leverage this go around, and frankly-most quality American players have always stiffed this tourney. Hopefully some better talent can round out the roster (especially on defense).

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Realistically Burke is going to have to look at the AHL and Euro leagues. Jeff Hamilton had a solid year for HC Lugano in Switzerland!

There don't seem to be any highly skilled American players left on the rosters of the NHL teams not in the playoffs. Slim pickings. The only one left we're waiting on is TJ Oshie.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Realistically Burke is going to have to look at the AHL and Euro leagues. Jeff Hamilton had a solid year for HC Lugano in Switzerland!

There don't seem to be any highly skilled American players left on the rosters of the NHL teams not in the playoffs. Slim pickings. The only one left we're waiting on is TJ Oshie.

Well, to be fair-most if not all of the countries participating are going to have a rough go of it. The U.S. roster isn't eye-catching so far, but IMO it will be a somewhat level playing field by the time the tourney starts.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Does anyone know if Ron Wilson was asked to coach the team or if he declined?

Don't think they even considered him. Usually this tournament is for grooming purposes (if I understand it correctly). Since Wilson was already USA coach at the Olympics, it's not necessary to let him coach again (as I understand it).

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Gilbert apparently accepted a spot on last year's WC team and then declined and no reason was ever made public but he was still invited to the Olympic orientation camp.

He had a bad back last year. It had bothered him a few times during the season. Apparently he was willing to go last year but then they took a closer look at his back and either he or the Oilers decided it wasn't a good idea.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Official release (first 12 players): http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_01_03&id=285652

Ryan Carter also named.

Great, another 4th Liner. But like you said, this is to be expected in an Olympic year. Maybe one of these guys will have a coming out party?

Here's something to ponder: If the Avs get eliminated (no sure thing by any means), and Burke asked him to play, would TJ Galiardi accept an invite? He has dual citizenship (American mother) and I belive he was with the US U-20 Evaluation camp a few summers ago. He obviously didn't make the cut, but I believe he has some history with USA Hockey. Here's the evidence: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01&id=186814&USAHockeyType=ICE#

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Great, another 4th Liner. But like you said, this is to be expected in an Olympic year. Maybe one of these guys will have a coming out party?

Here's something to ponder: If the Avs get eliminated (no sure thing by any means), and Burke asked him to play, would TJ Galiardi accept an invite? He has dual citizenship (American mother) and I belive he was with the US U-20 Evaluation camp a few summers ago. He obviously didn't make the cut, but I believe he has some history with USA Hockey. Here's the evidence: http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01&id=186814&USAHockeyType=ICE#

Yes, I'm pretty sure Galiardi would be considered (and given this roster make the team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad