WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Par for the course with Brian Burke. He wants players that commit early. I can't say I'm jumping for joy with the calibre of players named so far, but we'll see how things pan out. Some definate talent, but very young and inconsisent. The good thing is there are two goalie, four defensemen, and eight forward spots left to fill. Up the talent level with those selections and these guys can be the role players. I'm fine with that, since guys like Moss, Nystrom, and Hanson would make a very good 4th line.

I agree with Rabid here. I'm sure Burke is getting more rejections than he was hoping for originally but he's all about the commitment. If a guy is wavering, he's going to go onto the next guy that's 100% full steam ahead about wearing a Team USA jersey.

I'm actually okay with the forward selections so far because there's still a ton of spots left. Hanson is probably the only reach but he's a big guy that will, as Rabid said, make an adequate 4th liner on the team. Now the next wave of commitments will be the deal breaker. If guys like Kessel, Umberger, Oshie, Dubi, and whoever else also decline then we're going to be hard pressed to score goals unless basically every American eliminated in the first round wants to play.

The defense isn't looking too hot so far but with the teams eliminated so far, there haven't been a ton of options with EJ opting out do to his contract situation, Whitney having surgery, Gleason injured, McBain back to the AHL, and no word on others like Gilbert, Wiz, Ballard, Bogo and Hainsey. Chorney and Lundin are head scratchers but if they're #7 and #8 by the end of it, I'm okay with that. Hillen is very good and will be even better on the large ice.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrell, are we? Taylor Chorney? Mike Lundin? Either Burke is damn impatient or he's already had a lot of rejections if he's picking these guys. Why he can't just wait until the end of the first round of the playoffs is beyond me.

Agreed. Right now the team is comprised of Okposo, third and fourth line grinders, and third pairing d-men. BUT, at least they're all NHL caliber players. We should all remember the days, not so long ago, when the US squad was comprised of AHL players, the Ferraro brothers, Brett Hauer, a few college players, and a bunch of other guys toiling in the Swiss second division.

DBC Tweeker

Jun 25, 2003
Calgary AB
Visit site
Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrell, are we? Taylor Chorney? Mike Lundin? Either Burke is damn impatient or he's already had a lot of rejections if he's picking these guys. Why he can't just wait until the end of the first round of the playoffs is beyond me.

I think that most Lightning fans would tell you that Mike Lundin has arguably been that teams best defenceman all year. He really broke out this season.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think that most Lightning fans would tell you that Mike Lundin has arguably been that teams best defenceman all year. He really broke out this season.

Maybe I'm being a bit hard on Lundin, but when you consider the guys currently available that have no legit reason to decline (Niskanen, Gilbert, Bogosian, Hainsey for example) and the guys likely to be available after the first round (Carle, Yandle, Liles, Hunwick), and then you hear names like Chorney and Lundin mentioned as guys who accepted invites, you can't help but scratch your head a little.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Maybe I'm being a bit hard on Lundin, but when you consider the guys currently available that have no legit reason to decline (Niskanen, Gilbert, Bogosian, Hainsey for example) and the guys likely to be available after the first round (Carle, Yandle, Liles, Hunwick), and then you hear names like Chorney and Lundin mentioned as guys who accepted invites, you can't help but scratch your head a little.

I understand your point but Burke has to add some guys. He can't just assume all those guys available after the first round will play and he sure as hell won't ask them now before they've even played in the playoffs. When his initial targets like E. Johnson, Ryan Whitney and Keith Ballard decline, while guys like Gleason (injury) and McBain (AHL) weren't available either, you have to get some bodies to commit. I'll take some Lightning fans opinions on Lundin; I've never seen him play but hopefully he'll have a good tournament. I don't have much faith in Chorney from what I've seen of him with Edmonton but so far, this isn't really different than last year.

Last year guys like Harrold and Niskanen were among the first commits to the team. Both those guys were terrible at last year's tournament and both weren't very good this year either. And we've yet to hear anything about Bogosian, Hainsey or Gilbert. If they all commit - along with Hillen - that's a good Top 4 at this point.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
keep the faith...thats all i can say...

from what I have heard, Dubinsky is coming on board....but who knows, maybe he sees the lack of talent and just decides no thanks. IMO, a guy like Umberger committing would do wonders for this team. Getting an early committ from a solid veteran type forward should make some of the younger guns like Oshie and Dubisnky more willing to join up.

Though I like Nystrom and Moss, they are only here to fill 4th line roles. I am sure Larose will suit up as well, and I cant imagine O'Sullivan saying no, so there is still some room for some talented players.

Burke needs to fill out some kind of roster at this point, and though it looks pretty weak, there are still a dozen or so spots left that he can fill with much better talent. I find it hard to believe many guys getting knocked out of the first round will answer the call, but you only need maybe 2-3 of those guys to step up to make this a solid squad to play.

Getting Clemmenson was huge, and with the sure fire Esche as well, our goaltending is better then last year. I think they try and get either Quick, Anderson, or Howard after an eventual first round loss for whoever...if the US lands one of these, they will definitely have a shot.

I have a feeling Bogosian says no due to his long lasting injury this season...so I think Hainsey and Gilbert could be the best of the non playoff bunch to join on D..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)

D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason

Mulling Invitations:
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - T.J. Oshie (STL) --- Shoulder
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR) --- No reason
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards (MIN)
Assistant Coach: Ron Rolston (USNTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
If all the guys mulling invitations the Forward group is going to be pretty good. Defense doesn't look to be as good though.

Who else do you guys expect they'll invite?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If all the guys mulling invitations the Forward group is going to be pretty good. Defense doesn't look to be as good though.

Who else do you guys expect they'll invite?

I'm sure the majority of all the invitations are already out, just that we don't know about them yet because they haven't been accepted or denied. I'm guessing the following have also been invited: Ron Hainsey, Tom Gilbert, Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, James Wisniewski, Robert Esche and Chad LaRose. But I think you could count out Callahan (injury/olympics), Drury (olympics) and Wiz (contract) from real consideration.

I think Burke is now just waiting on decisions before moving on to the next tier with guys like Reasoner, Slater, Marchant, O'Sullivan, Cole, etc., which obviously would mean we're in trouble because we already have guys of this ilk on the team in their appropriate spots.

If we add Hainsey, Gilbert, Esche and LaRose, and lets say 3 of the 4 forwards already deciding (likely in favor) of playing, we'll be good to go for now before adding guys after the first round.

Edit: Ryan Callahan confirms he's out with his injury.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
i hope the roster dosent max out to fast... for the good of USA hockey even though i want them to win.. the kings would be an awesome team to have lose in like 4 games.. dustin brown - loves to rep usa and is expierienced.. j-johnson would be there no doubt.. and imagine if we got Quick to come aboard... just saying..

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
East
Washington- Knuble, Carlson, Poti, Steckel, Corvo
NJD – Parise, Martin, Rolston, Langenbrunner, Greene
Buffalo – Miller? Pominville, Gaustad, Connoly, Stafford
Pitt – Goligalski, Guerin, Orpik, Leopold, Eaton, Johnson
Ott- Foligno, Cullen, Shannon
Boston – Wheeler, Thomas, Stuart, Hunwick
Phi – JVR, Matty Carle, Boucher?
Mont – Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Mara
West
San Jose – Pavelski
Chicago – Kane, Byuglien
Vancouver- Kesler
Phoenix – Stempniak, Yandle
Detroit – Abdelkader, Rafalski, Howard, Eaves, Miller
Los Angeles – Brown, J-Johnson, Quick, Greene, Scuderi, Halpern
Nashville – Colin Wilson, Ryan Suter, Buillon, Legwand
Colorado – Stastny, Liles, Anderson, Mueller

possibilites, the one's in red are the ones i think will be eliminated... i definatly missed people.. so tell me who and ill add em!

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
i hope the roster dosent max out to fast... for the good of USA hockey even though i want them to win.. the kings would be an awesome team to have lose in like 4 games.. dustin brown - loves to rep usa and is expierienced.. j-johnson would be there no doubt.. and imagine if we got Quick to come aboard... just saying..

One thing to remember is you get larger rosters for these tournaments than you have in the NHL. They can choose 22 players and 3 goalies. So they still have spots for 14 skaters and 2 goalies officially.

There's a lot of American talent that will be available after the 1st/2nd rounds it just comes down to them wanting to play. For the Kings, JJ I would play 100% IMO. Dustin 50/50. Quick 0% chance. He's really been struggling since the Olympics and he and his wife just had their first child last month.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
East
Washington- Knuble, Carlson
NJD – Parise, Martin, Rolston, Langenbrunner
Buffalo – Miller? Pominville, Gaustad, Connoly
Pitt – Goligalski, Guerin, Orpik
Ott- Foligno
Boston – Wheeler, Thomas
Phi – JVR, Matty Carle, Boucher?
Mont – Gomez, Gionta
West
San Jose – Pavelski
Chicago – Kane, Byuglien
Vancouver- Kesler
Phoenix – Stempniak, Yandle
Detroit – Abdelkader, Rafalski, Howard
Los Angeles – Brown, J-Johnson, Quick
Nashville – Colin Wilson, Ryan Suter
Colorado – Stastny, Liles, Anderson

possibilites, the one's in red are the ones i think will be eliminated... i definatly missed people.. so tell me who and ill add em!

Washington: Corvo, Poti, Steckel
NJD: Greene
Buffalo: Stafford
Pittsburgh: Eaton, Leopold
Ottawa: Cullen, Shannon
Boston: Stuart, Hunwick
Montreal: Gill, Mara
Detroit: Eaves, Miller
Los Angeles: Greene, Scuderi
Nashville: Bouillon, Legwand
Colorado: Mueller

If Washington were eliminated early, Carlson would be sent back to the AHL to play with Hershey unless they get upset early.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Abdelkader is actually up with Detroit as one of the black aces since Grand Rapids is not in the playoffs.

Colin Wilson Nashville/Milwaukee is on Milwaukee's CDR so he's in the same situation as John Carlson as described above unless both teams get eliminated in the first round.

How thorough are people trying to be with the list by team?
I'll list another goalie: Pittsburgh - Johnson

LAK - Halpern - younger players for his role and given the knee injury last WCs and UFA to be status, doubt he'd be an option even if he was asked.

The goalie situation is interesting:

Boston vs Buffalo, so in theory one of the Olympic goalies will be available after round 1; questions being health and energy level at that point, etc.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I wish Brandon Sutter would of represented team usa... any reason why he represents Canada? He if im not mistaken was born in NY

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Abdelkader is actually up with Detroit as one of the black aces since Grand Rapids is not in the playoffs.

Colin Wilson Nashville/Milwaukee is on Milwaukee's CDR so he's in the same situation as John Carlson as described above unless both teams get eliminated in the first round.

How thorough are people trying to be with the list by team?
I'll list another goalie: Pittsburgh - Johnson

LAK - Halpern - younger players for his role and given the knee injury last WCs and UFA to be status, doubt he'd be an option even if he was asked.

The goalie situation is interesting:

Boston vs Buffalo, so in theory one of the Olympic goalies will be available after round 1; questions being health and energy level at that point, etc.

whoever is an option ill post lol... it seems like alot of people are realistic options this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad