WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Don't think they even considered him. Usually this tournament is for grooming purposes (if I understand it correctly). Since Wilson was already USA coach at the Olympics, it's not necessary to let him coach again (as I understand it).

I don't think it played out that way. Wilson was considered but declined, allowing Gordon to step in.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the good news here is the U.S has a favorable schedule (Finland, Germany, and Denmark) which should help mitigate the less than potent roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't forget Ron "Zero Gameplan" Rolston is the other associate coach! I can't say I'm surprised the response has been so lukewarm. Burke and co don't have as much leverage this go around, and frankly-most quality American players have always stiffed this tourney. Hopefully some better talent can round out the roster (especially on defense).

I actually kind of hope this means Rolston is trying to get his name out there for an assistant coaches job at a higher level opening up the NTDP job for someone else. :naughty:

I'm not that bummed about the team yet except the defensemen. Carter was more of the same of what we already have but he's a Burke type guy that can play his role well. I'm guessing Burke is giving Umberger/Kessel/Oshie/Drury until the first round series start wrapping up to decide.

Interesting to see Esche not named yet. He's a UFA and apparently isn't going to stay with St. Petersburg. I'm guessing he already has some offers lined up and doesn't want to risk injury.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I actually kind of hope this means Rolston is trying to get his name out there for an assistant coaches job at a higher level opening up the NTDP job for someone else. :naughty:

I'm not that bummed about the team yet except the defensemen. Carter was more of the same of what we already have but he's a Burke type guy that can play his role well. I'm guessing Burke is giving Umberger/Kessel/Oshie/Drury until the first round series start wrapping up to decide.

Interesting to see Esche not named yet. He's a UFA and apparently isn't going to stay with St. Petersburg. I'm guessing he already has some offers lined up and doesn't want to risk injury.

There appears to be some lingering injury issues with a few of players you named, so the buffer that's afforded with the later start of the tourney is probably welcome. In the interim, some sort of roster has to be fleshed out.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I think the good news here is the U.S has a favorable schedule (Finland, Germany, and Denmark) which should help mitigate the less than potent roster.

Hey, don't forget the Great Denmark Debacle of 2003, where the Danes handed us a 5 - 2 loss.

Seriously though, the match-ups are favorable. I don't think many of Finland's NHL players will be making the journey. Jussi Jokinen is dangerous though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
As a Team USA fan, you've got to hope that LA is eliminated. Even though he played the Olympics, would there be any doubt that Jack Johnson would accept the invite for Team USA?? Out of the possible first round eliminees, he's gotta be the most likely to decide to play more hockey this season.

The defense looks...bad. Granted, when pretty much all of your best defensemen are still playing, and the best of the rest all decline, that's what happens...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree 100% with hoping LA gets knocked out in the first round, but how sad is it that we are heavily relying on guys that already represented our country in the Olympics to answer the call? Some of these players that didnt make the US Olympic team that have declined shouldnt wonder why they didnt make the team in Vancouver. IMO, if you can skate, you should go to this tourney...and if you dont, dont be shocked when your name doesnt get announced come the 2011 World Cup.

The crazy part is that I truly feel that some of the additions to this team are indeed going to be Olympians...if elimaination occurs. I have no doubt Jack Johnson and Dustin Brown will answer the call...they always do. I would also add Rob Scuderi to that mix, as I have zero doubts he would accept as well. My other hope is for Nashville to lose as well, because the area in need the most is D, and Ryan Suter would be a lock as much as JJ is. If we could add say Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, and lets say Mark Stuart to our d, then I think we look a lot more competitive on the backend. If Boston gets knocked out, that will open up Tim Thomas, Matt Hunwick, Mark Stuart, and Blake Wheeler...Wheeler I can easily see as being a kid to accept an invite.

If Philly loses, I have zero doubt that Carle and Van Riemsdyk will come aboard, both players are very talented and would get a lot of minutes on this team...My other prayer is for Colorado to lose early, so that we can get Mueller, Liles, Gilardi, and Anderson..to pick from.

Also, it was reported here in Chitown, that if Montreal loses in the first round, and if he stays healthy, Scott Gomez will indeed represent the US. Now this may sound iffy, but one thing about Gomez is he loves to represent his country, and he is hungry to get back into good graces with USA Hockey and maybe re earn a spot for 2011. I would honestly be exstatic if he does this, and imo, it would garner him a lot of respect with USA Hockey for being one of the few vets to answer the call. We will see what happens...

at this point in time, we look pretty weak, I am still keeping my fingers crossed for Kessel and Oshie...we need them badly. Nice to see the report that I heard earlier in the week about Dubinsky accepting was true, good to see him come on board. The team that I would love to see at this point would be this....though some lessor players have already been announced, from hece forth, we should only be adding top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen.

Forwards
Phil Kessel
Brandon Dubinsky
Scott Gomez
Kyle Okposo
TJ Oshie
Peter Mueller
Jame van Riemsdyk
Dustin Brown
Ryan Potulny
Eric Nystrom
David Moss
Ryan Carter
Christian Hanson

Defense
Ryan Suter
Jack Johnson
Mark Stuart
Mike Lundin
Jack Hillen
Taylor Chorney
Matt Carle
Matt Gilroy

Goaltending
Tim Thomas
Craig Anderson
Scott Clemmenson

this roster is based on LA, Nashville, Colorado, Montreal, Philly, and Boston losing in the first round.....

we can dream right??? team still looks weak, but it could be the best we get at this point...

not sure what is truly up with Hainsey and Umberger, but if they havent committed yet, I think it is safe to say they arent coming...a shame because instead of adding guys like Gilroy and Carter, we could have had these two....no excuses for them imo...Umberger trying to finish school???? yeah I can see where an education will be needed to fall back on after you earned probably $20 mil over your career....whatever.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
As a Flyer fan i want JVR to play.. but i really wanna beat NJD first round.. so hopefully the 2nd round if they play the caps they will get eliminated quick

Cutty Sarkn3ss*

I'm hoping LA doesn't lose this first round to Vancouver but if they did, I'd imagine that Jack Johnson would play for Team USA, hopefully Brown too. Quick definitely won't due to his kid being born 2 months ago and I'd imagine he'd want to spend time with the kid.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR)
F - Ryan Carter (ANA)

D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)
D - Matt Gilroy (NYR)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury
F - Patrick O'Sullivan (EDM) --- Wedding
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- Mental Exhaustion

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason

Mulling Invitations:
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - T.J. Oshie (STL) --- Shoulder
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards (MIN)
Assistant Coach: Ron Rolston (USNTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

Last edited:

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- No reason

You might still count this as no reason, but courtesy Dan Tencer (Oilers radio guy):

Talked to Tom Gilbert yesterday. USA asked him to go to World's but he said no. Mentally exhausted, he said. Plus, he's going to hang around Edmonton for a while. Bought a new house prior to the season and wants to spend more time here.

http://twitter.com/dantencer

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You might still count this as no reason, but courtesy Dan Tencer (Oilers radio guy):

Talked to Tom Gilbert yesterday. USA asked him to go to World's but he said no. Mentally exhausted, he said. Plus, he's going to hang around Edmonton for a while. Bought a new house prior to the season and wants to spend more time here.

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005

Gilbert is nothing spectacular. US can get by without him. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Chorney can do. I thought he did well as captain at the WJC. Who knows, maybe he can become a Dan Boyle type defenseman? We can dream, can't we?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Gilbert is nothing spectacular. US can get by without him. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Chorney can do. I thought he did well as captain at the WJC. Who knows, maybe he can become a Dan Boyle type defenseman? We can dream, can't we?

Gilbert had a very nice finish to the year. He'll be missed.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton

Yeah, if you'd watched the Oilers since the trade deadline you'd know how completely backwards this is. But obviously we'd all be happy with any kind of turn-around for Chorney too.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Yeah, if you'd watched the Oilers since the trade deadline you'd know how completely backwards this is. But obviously we'd all be happy with any kind of turn-around for Chorney too.

I never thought of Gilbert as anything more than a second-paring defenseman. My point - which I should've been more clear about - is Gilbert is not the blue-line stud to lead this team to gold.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I never thought of Gilbert as anything more than a second-paring defenseman. My point - which I should've been more clear about - is Gilbert is not the blue-line stud to lead this team to gold.

Fair enough. But he's a hell of a lot better than Chorney at this point so that's what made your comment kind of funny. I see now you weren't really trying to compare them.

It's too bad for the US that Whitney and Gilbert couldn't go as a pair. They played well together for Edmonton. Not Weber-Suter or Keith-Seabrook good, but still solid.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
New Jersey is officially eliminated....

That makes Zach Parise, Andy Greene, Paul Martin, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau available. I'd say Langs would decline and that Rolston/Mottau would be last resort choices.

It'll be interesting to see but I think Parise will play. He loves representing Team USA. I also think Martin will go too and Greene will if asked.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
WHB - Technically, Pandolfo should be on that list, too. FWIW, Lowell has been eliminated also so a young player like Palmieri is also available, not that I think he'd be invited.

The question mark with Martin accepting will be his UFA status after missing most of this season due to injury. FWIW, Mottau is heading to an UFA summer, too.

Parise, IMO, it depends on his health and energy level. Rolston - Possible he says yes; and of course, his brother is an asst coach. I agree it seems doubtful Langenbrunner would say yes at this time.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Boy o boy, i would love to get Zach back into the Red White and Blue. US would be a legitamate contender with him and Rolston

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
New Jersey is officially eliminated....

That makes Zach Parise, Andy Greene, Paul Martin, Jamie Langenbrunner, Brian Rolston and Mike Mottau available. I'd say Langs would decline and that Rolston/Mottau would be last resort choices.

It'll be interesting to see but I think Parise will play. He loves representing Team USA. I also think Martin will go too and Greene will if asked.

I could see Martin declining with him being hurt most of the season if he wasn't 100% when he returned. But Parise/Greene would be nice additions.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I could see Martin declining with him being hurt most of the season if he wasn't 100% when he returned. But Parise/Greene would be nice additions.

Yeah, I forgot Martin was an UFA. I would be thoroughly surprised to see him accept an invitation given the injury situation he dealt with all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad