WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
Exactly, Canada's roster was already pretty solid, granted it did get a lot better. The US on the other was looking pretty thin, especially on defense as I mentioned. If the US gets some of the blueliners discussed than the quality of their team goes from below average to pretty good.

Its a relativity thing.

ahh makes sense

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Buffalo eliminated....

Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly, Paul Gaustad, Patrick Kaleta, Jason Pominville, and Drew Stafford available.

I'd be shocked if Miller went. He's probably exhausted from the Olympics and carrying a piss poor team to the playoffs where they didn't belong. It would be awesome if he did go though.

Other than Connolly and Pominville, I wouldn't even offer anyone else. Gaustad doesn't fit on the big ice, Kaleta's role is taken and Stafford is injured and has completely stagnated in his development. Others like Kennedy/Gerbe/Butler shouldn't and won't be offered either.

Gaustad has been playing with a bum shoulder so he's almost certainly out. Connolly might not be 100% with his foot injury (at least I hope that's his excuse for why he sucked ass in the playoffs), so I'd count him out as well.

Stafford has played for Team USA in the past, so I'd actually think he's got a shot. Pominville is a possibility as well. The other young guys probably won't be considered (aside from maybe Kennedy--he did well as a 2nd line LW with Roy/Vanek before Vanek's injury caused massive line shuffling), but then again guys like Ryan Potulny are on the team...

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
Exactly, Canada's roster was already pretty solid, granted it did get a lot better. The US on the other was looking pretty thin, especially on defense as I mentioned. If the US gets some of the blueliners discussed than the quality of their team goes from below average to pretty good.

Its a relativity thing.

Okay, I can buy that. Regardess, Doughty isn't going, which sucks hard for us.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Any word on goaltenders? Miller and Anderson have been eliminated, as well as Quick, which would all be helpful to the US.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Any word on goaltenders? Miller and Anderson have been eliminated, as well as Quick, which would all be helpful to the US.

I'd highly doubt Quick goes. He and his wife just had their first baby in March and he really struggled down the stretch after Terry Murray rode him into the ground.

Same with Miller probably. I really hope Anderson goes because if not, with Howard and Thomas having advanced, we don't really have many more options.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Phoenix eliminated....

Keith Yandle and Lee Stempniak available.

Both would be solid additions. Stemps is an UFA though so while I'd normally say he'd definitely play, I'd say now it's a toss up, leaning towards a no.

Yandle would be a great addition, especially on the big ice but with 5 defenseman already on the team, he may have to wait for others to make their choices before getting an offer. Paul Martin and Ryan Suter will both get offers and Martin is on record saying he wants to play. There's also Andy Greene who said he wants to play too. Suter usually answers the call as well.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I know the Oshie info. is not new, but the goalie info...

Darren Pang tweets:
"Team USA excited to Have TJ Oshie from the Blues on their roster. He was close 2 being Olympian. Look for Blues goalie Ben Bishop 2 b added "

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I know the Oshie info. is not new, but the goalie info...

Darren Pang tweets:
"Team USA excited to Have TJ Oshie from the Blues on their roster. He was close 2 being Olympian. Look for Blues goalie Ben Bishop 2 b added "

Ben Bishop? What the hell?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

I didn't type more than the tweet because I wasn't sure what there was to say :)

I'm not sure when the team is going to start practicing together...perhaps he is being invited to be a practice goalie but not to be named to the team?

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

I've never even heard of this kid. Are Al Montoya and/or Cory Schneider tied up in AHL playoffs? I guess if they're looking at Bishop that means that Miller, Quick, and Anderson aren't going. Can't blame any of them. Guess we'll have to call on Robert Esche again. For all his flaws as a keeper, he always answers the call for his country (are you listening Ty Conklin?)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Hmmm. Not sure how much I trust Darren Pang but it makes sense a bit as I'm sure if true it's because the team is leaving on Sunday and they'll need another goalie for practice purposes.

He may not actually be on the roster anyway. It was either last year or the year before where the team did the same thing but with a College goalie in that he went for practices and such but was never named to the team.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Hmmm. Not sure how much I trust Darren Pang but it makes sense a bit as I'm sure if true it's because the team is leaving on Sunday and they'll need another goalie for practice purposes.

He may not actually be on the roster anyway. It was either last year or the year before where the team did the same thing but with a College goalie in that he went for practices and such but was never named to the team.

Given Pang covers the St. Louis Blues why wouldn't you believe his info?

FWIW, I noted the same thing above that perhaps it's for practice purposes...thanks for the info. as to when the team leaves.

As to the poster that doesn't know who Bishop is, but mentions Montoya and Schneider.

Schneider is with Vancouver, still active in the playoffs, called up after Manitoba lost the other day.

Montoya, Has he even played in a game in 2010? Not sure why his name would even come up given his performances when he did play this season.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I've never even heard of this kid. Are Al Montoya and/or Cory Schneider tied up in AHL playoffs? I guess if they're looking at Bishop that means that Miller, Quick, and Anderson aren't going. Can't blame any of them. Guess we'll have to call on Robert Esche again. For all his flaws as a keeper, he always answers the call for his country (are you listening Ty Conklin?)

Schneider's Manitoba Moose were just eliminated from the AHL playoffs, and Montoya's SA Rampage finished the season out of the playoffs. I guess Clemmensen is our #1 moving forward.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Given Pang covers the St. Louis Blues why wouldn't you believe his info?

FWIW, I noted the same thing above that perhaps it's for practice purposes...thanks for the info. as to when the team leaves.

Just because there are only a few reliable reporters when it comes to this tournament when speaking from a Team USA perspective and those reporters were way ahead of Panger in regards to the Oshie info as well. I'm more questioning Pang making it seem like Bishop will be on the team (which could obviously happen too though). I'm thinking at this point, if Bishop is going, it's as a practice goalie only because there's a lot better AHL goalies available if they were actually adding him as a 3rd goalie. If Andy Strickland reports it, ok, I believe it...but Panger? Not sure yet.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Yeah, that was Alec Richards.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Schneider's Manitoba Moose were just eliminated from the AHL playoffs, and Montoya's SA Rampage finished the season out of the playoffs. I guess Clemmensen is our #1 moving forward.

I don't think those guys have any bearing on whether or not Clemmer ends up as the #1 guy or not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think those guys have any bearing on whether or not Clemmer ends up as the #1 guy or not.

I agree. I think we're in tough here where goaltending is concerned. Both Quick and Anderson clearly need a break. We'll see if Clemmensen (or the eventual naming of Bobby Esche) can do the job. He certainly had a nice conclusion to the end of the NHL season.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree. I think we're in tough here where goaltending is concerned. Both Quick and Anderson clearly need a break. We'll see if Clemmensen (or theventual naming of Bobby Esche) can do the job. He certainly had a nice conclusion to the end of the NHL season.

I'm thinking Burke and co. are going to give Anderson, Quick, and Miller as long as they want to decide if they want to play because realistically, there's no one else to add (outside of Esche) that would take the #1 job from Clemmensen. I'd highly doubt Quick and Miller even consider playing. Anderson is the best bet because he didn't seem bothered by his heavy workload. I don't think Esche is going or he would have already been named and he's a free agent now so he probably views it as possibly damaging his desirability.

All we can hope is that since there's been no public declined invitation by any of them so far, even though we know they have been or will be offered, is that they are actually considering accepting a spot. Either way, the last time we got a medal in this tournament was with Conklin so Clemmer can get it done if needed. Boston and Detroit advancing hurt though because the two goalies most likely to play were Tim Thomas and Jimmy Howard.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix eliminated....

Keith Yandle and Lee Stempniak available.

Both would be solid additions. Stemps is an UFA though so while I'd normally say he'd definitely play, I'd say now it's a toss up, leaning towards a no.

Yandle would be a great addition, especially on the big ice but with 5 defenseman already on the team, he may have to wait for others to make their choices before getting an offer. Paul Martin and Ryan Suter will both get offers and Martin is on record saying he wants to play. There's also Andy Greene who said he wants to play too. Suter usually answers the call as well.

Burke really screwed up here by prematurely giving spots to Lundin/Hillen/Gilroy/Chorney. If guys like Yandle, Martin, or Suter don't get on because he took those guys...:help:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Burke really screwed up here by prematurely giving spots to Lundin/Hillen/Gilroy/Chorney. If guys like Yandle, Martin, or Suter don't get on because he took those guys...:help:

It's the nature of this tournament for the USA. We don't have the depth that Canada does and this tournament doesn't mean that much to most US players when compared with their European counterparts.

It's not like those guys were his first choice to be on the team. But when looking at the guys that declined originally, you have to add some guys because you don't know who will be available and willing to play after the 1st round and you can't approach them before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad