CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Doesn't BC still run American rules in high school too? So really he was going to be exposed to the dream of the NFL at an early age regardless
Good question, I'll have to look that up. BC still have a league in the Canadian Junior Football league with Canadian rules. The now defunct Simon Fraser U played lower level NCAA ball but UBC is three down. In Rourke's case, he was born in BC but raised in Oakville Ontario I believe.

He's certainly an age at which I daresay most prefer the dominant exposure NFL game over the CFL. Rourke certainly went after it relocating for his high school senior year in the States and increasing level of NCAA college ball.

Reactions: joestevens29

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
@joestevens29 I looked at a webcast of Vancouver College, a top rank BC high school, and they were playing four down ball. Must say I did not know that.

About Canadian talent, which I love, if a guy can play, the scouts will find them. Isaiah Knight is a beast running back at UBC who has several NFL teams asking for tape on his. As well the Chargers just sent a scout up to watch him live. Knight is a wrecking ball!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good question, I'll have to look that up. BC still have a league in the Canadian Junior Football league with Canadian rules. The now defunct Simon Fraser U played lower level NCAA ball but UBC is three down. In Rourke's case, he was born in BC but raised in Oakville Ontario I believe.

He's certainly an age at which I daresay most prefer the dominant exposure NFL game over the CFL. Rourke certainly went after it relocating for his high school senior year in the States and increasing level of NCAA college ball.
It's kind of like hockey IMO. Very young age you want to make the WHL over the AJHL, then once you are there it's NHL over AHL/Europe.

But people need to realize that going to the step below isn't always a bad thing, but at the end of the day people want to play in the top league at their age group.

For Rourke and others though you have to have the right attitude. The CFL can help develop him and maybe at a later date the NFL comes calling again, but if you don't have the right attitude and you don't continue to develop then you are blowing any shot you have at the NFL.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
@joestevens29 I looked at a webcast of Vancouver College, a top rank BC high school, and they were playing four down ball. Must say I did not know that.

About Canadian talent, which I love, if a guy can play, the scouts will find them. Isaiah Knight is a beast running back at UBC who has several NFL teams asking for tape on his. As well the Chargers just sent a scout up to watch him live. Knight is a wrecking ball!

The only reason I knew that was I think Claypool and it was mentioned that a lot of BC leagues play 4 down ball.

That's interesting on Knight. Don't really get a lot of info on Canadian college other than U of A, and even then it's quite spotty. Given now that the Esks are actually relevant and the Oilers have fired up I don't think the coverage will get any better. Edit: And of course NFL is taking over lots of radio air space

Always nice to see Canadians make the NFL. Was really nice when my Steelers drafted one in Claypool, unfortunate he was a wingnut

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The only reason I knew that was I think Claypool and it was mentioned that a lot of BC leagues play 4 down ball.

That's interesting on Knight. Don't really get a lot of info on Canadian college other than U of A, and even then it's quite spotty. Given now that the Esks are actually relevant and the Oilers have fired up I don't think the coverage will get any better. Edit: And of course NFL is taking over lots of radio air space

Always nice to see Canadians make the NFL. Was really nice when my Steelers drafted one in Claypool, unfortunate he was a wingnut
Ah, that makes sense. I really liked Claypool at Notre Dame who I follow and cheer for. Have been really surprised by the off field poor judgement by the player. Very unfortunate to see him squander very good skill but as the expression goes, million dollar talent two cent head.

I follow USask Huskies closely and keep an eye on USports football talent. Knight is a special talent and Blake Nill a good recruiter able to get an Ottawa elite talent to play at UBC. Canadian college is more of a nice sport to watch I love the Can Con and often the Vanier Cup is a great game. More of a pure student athlete reality than big money NCAA (which I also love). Embarrassing to share I keep an eye on my high school football team which is a perennial powerhouse. haha. And the Saskatoon Hilltops!

UBC at U Alberta coming up on October 4.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ah, that makes sense. I really liked Claypool at Notre Dame who I follow and cheer for. Have been really surprised by the off field poor judgement by the player. Very unfortunate to see him squander very good skill but as the expression goes, million dollar talent two cent head.

I follow USask Huskies closely and keep an eye on USports football talent. Knight is a special talent and Blake Nill a good recruiter able to get an Ottawa elite talent to play at UBC. Canadian college is more of a nice sport to watch I love the Can Con and often the Vanier Cup is a great game. More of a pure student athlete reality than big money NCAA (which I also love). Embarrassing to share I keep an eye on my high school football team which is a perennial powerhouse. haha. And the Saskatoon Hilltops!

UBC at U Alberta coming up on October 4.
Lol I don't know if I can handle it. Bad enough this new lady bartender has me watching NCAA with her on Saturdays.

I was half in on the NCAA, but I see I'll be fully in now

• Love
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lol I don't know if I can handle it. Bad enough this new lady bartender has me watching NCAA with her on Saturdays.

I was half in on the NCAA, but I see I'll be fully in now
She's got to have Georgia v Alabama cued up for you this Saturday. Game of the year - go GEORGIA! Editorial note, Alabama is the Calgary Flamers for me of NCAA football. haha

NCAA football in the South is quite probably way bigger than NFL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
She's got to have Georgia v Alabama cued up for you this Saturday. Game of the year - go GEORGIA! Editorial note, Alabama is the Calgary Flamers for me of NCAA football. haha

NCAA football in the South is quite probably way bigger than NFL.

I just know if I don't go Saturday she'll give me shit when she works on Sunday

The whole "don't have time for me when I'm off, but will come drink when I have to work" story.

But Saturday is already jammed with functions lol

I just can't wrap my head around how the hell people follow NCAA. So many flippin teams to follow. I'm pretty much just cheer for the love of the game and whoever I get told I might have to cheer for.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just know if I don't go Saturday she'll give me shit when she works on Sunday

The whole "don't have time for me when I'm off, but will come drink when I have to work" story.

But Saturday is already jammed with functions lol

I just can't wrap my head around how the hell people follow NCAA. So many flippin teams to follow. I'm pretty much just cheer for the love of the game and whoever I get told I might have to cheer for.
You’re whipped by a bartender who you aren’t even dating yet?

Play harder to get. ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its not a new thing. For the history of the league QB's that have had NFL dreams have come back and been in a funk for awhile. Their return to CFL, and the league can't and doesn't tell you this message is disappointment. The players won't speak it because who would say that. But its like going back to the AHL. Only some individuals go back to being great at this level and depending on psyche. Others neve really recover.
Not sure If I'm describing the water and saying something obvious. But the returnees don't always seem thrilled to be here. This time they are not playing for an NFL chance. Theres some resignation about that opportunity in players like Rourke.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it bears repeating. These guys that do go down there, especially the quarterbacks aren’t playing at all in games while they’re there. In Rourke’s case, he missed 2 years of playing in games in addition to all the points you’ve brought up. 2 years of not playing or competing in your sport is going to hamper any athletes development.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it bears repeating. These guys that do go down there, especially the quarterbacks aren’t playing at all in games while they’re there. In Rourke’s case, he missed 2 years of playing in games in addition to all the points you’ve brought up. 2 years of not playing or competing in your sport is going to hamper any athletes development.
I'm a bit embarrassed. I thought Rourke was down in NFL for one year. Was it two? Heh, did I miss a year. Not doubting you but man time flies. At least time could slow down once in awhile. ;)

Edit. I think he missed the one full season and then part of this one. That is a longtime.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That they actually called the money they used to sign him when they went over the cap “marketing money” and his aversion to media after is one of the most “cfl things” ever. His tone deaf meter is off the charts. You truly can’t make this stuff up.
Agree about the goofiness of skirting around the salary cap which is a league and ownership issue not Rourke's. But I see his situation differently. He was airlifted onto a winning team in-season with an established QB who was playing well. Rather than being 'noisy' as a distraction doing media work Rourke is working to keep the public focus on the team. However when he has had something to say on issues like Chad Kelly's mess, he hasn't shied away from public record: https://3downnation.com/2024/09/14/...ly-harassment-comments-despite-loss-to-argos/

The CFL is better imo with Rourke in it versus holding a clipboard down South. It's an exciting era to see he and Ford as two Canadian QB starters in skill positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad