OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'm completely shocked:laugh:

The whole "people will need to learn to follow the rules when they drive" was the funniest thing I ever heard when they originally said they weren't going to have crossing arms. Obviously the people that said that never drove Edmonton roads before

Yet another project the City elected to save money that will eventually cost us a pile more because of inflation and it not exactly being easier to add after the fact.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'm completely shocked:laugh:

The whole "people will need to learn to follow the rules when they drive" was the funniest thing I ever heard when they originally said they weren't going to have crossing arms. Obviously the people that said that never drove Edmonton roads before

Yet another project the City elected to save money that will eventually cost us a pile more because of inflation and it not exactly being easier to add after the fact.

And I'm sure it will take a 5 year feasibility study along with a "pilot" of the new crossings prior to just doing the obvious.

I'm curious to see what the LRT looks like when it's all finished. Will it continue to be a dystopian hell hole like it is now that I wouldn't allow any family or friends to ride in good conscience, or will it actually be cleaned up and become a convenient, safe means of transportation?

Who am I kidding, we all know it's going to end up being the former, not the latter. I know a few people that live close to new stations and I know a few people that have businesses close to the new stations, all of them are dreading when it's operational. Only in this City could you take something that would conceivably be very lucrative/convenient for these people and turn it into something they don't want for no reason other than they have seemingly zero interest in improving safety on the LRT.

Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And I'm sure it will take a 5 year feasibility study along with a "pilot" of the new crossings prior to just doing the obvious.

I'm curious to see what the LRT looks like when it's all finished. Will it continue to be a dystopian hell hole like it is now that I wouldn't allow any family or friends to ride in good conscience, or will it actually be cleaned up and become a convenient, safe means of transportation?

Who am I kidding, we all know it's going to end up being the former, not the latter. I know a few people that live close to new stations and I know a few people that have businesses close to the new stations, all of them are dreading when it's operational. Only in this City could you take something that would conceivably be very lucrative/convenient for these people and turn it into something they don't want for no reason other than they have seemingly zero interest in improving safety on the LRT.
Two things I was told many years ago.

Don't live close to the LRT/Bus stations and move out when a bottle depot opens up near you.

The bus/lrt situation could be safe, but there is no money for it.

The City is finally starting to realize(talk about) being as spread out as we are isn't feasible. Like shocking. We couldn't keep up with services for years, but we think continuing to build on the outskirts and pushing the limits is going to make things better?

There were complaints 2-3 years ago how the city has issues removing snow in cul de sacs, but they continue to allow developers to build new communities with these restrictions.

City maintenance is complaining to the neighbourhood renewal division that they have to double their staff because of how they changed these remove and replace roads/sidewalks programs into beautification programs.

Seems like at least these morons can identify problems, but they don't do anything to fix them and continue to allow the stupidity. Although I did hear the Neighbourhood renewal program is going to be a lot less next year as they sit down and figure out how to make things more feasible. I mean simple solution is remove the roads, sidewalks and underground and replace it with similar specs. Not remove and replace it with total new designs that make an area look nicer, but costs homeowners and taxpayers money and headaches.

Edit: On a side note if you are looking to buy a house in a neighbourhood that has recently or is currently under renovation please check into what the previous owner did with regards to payment. If it's been deferred onto the taxes you should lowball the homeowner so you don't get stuck paying higher taxes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Two things I was told many years ago.

Don't live close to the LRT/Bus stations and move out when a bottle depot opens up near you.

The bus/lrt situation could be safe, but there is no money for it.

The City is finally starting to realize(talk about) being as spread out as we are isn't feasible. Like shocking. We couldn't keep up with services for years, but we think continuing to build on the outskirts and pushing the limits is going to make things better?

There were complaints 2-3 years ago how the city has issues removing snow in cul de sacs, but they continue to allow developers to build new communities with these restrictions.

City maintenance is complaining to the neighbourhood renewal division that they have to double their staff because of how they changed these remove and replace roads/sidewalks programs into beautification programs.

Seems like at least these morons can identify problems, but they don't do anything to fix them and continue to allow the stupidity. Although I did hear the Neighbourhood renewal program is going to be a lot less next year as they sit down and figure out how to make things more feasible. I mean simple solution is remove the roads, sidewalks and underground and replace it with similar specs. Not remove and replace it with total new designs that make an area look nicer, but costs homeowners and taxpayers money and headaches.

Edit: On a side note if you are looking to buy a house in a neighbourhood that has recently or is currently under renovation please check into what the previous owner did with regards to payment. If it's been deferred onto the taxes you should lowball the homeowner so you don't get stuck paying higher taxes.
Good luck lowballing an owner in this sellers market. Agreed with some of the other comments.

Busses and LRT for all time used to be safe here. But of course once they permitted drug users and homeless to just sleep on and ride all day and occupy the transit stations the whole system turned to shit. But it was of course the lack of standing up to this that lead to the demise. Was always going to be a slippery slope until all the public infrastructure got "occupied".

Anybody look at the DT funicular lately? Anybody sense said that was a bad idea and bad location. You don't even want to go near that on a lot of days now even when it is in operation and not vandalized and windows knocked out etc.

Reactions: rboomercat90

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Good luck lowballing an owner in this sellers market. Agreed with some of the other comments.

Busses and LRT for all time used to be safe here. But of course once they permitted drug users and homeless to just sleep on and ride all day and occupy the transit stations the whole system turned to shit. But it was of course the lack of standing up to this that lead to the demise. Was always going to be a slippery slope until all the public infrastructure got "occupied".

Anybody look at the DT funicular lately? Anybody sense said that was a bad idea and bad location. You don't even want to go near that on a lot of days now even when it is in operation and not vandalized and windows knocked out etc.

When I lived downtown from about 2010-2020 I used to take LRT all the time and it was fine. The City Centre/Churchill stations were always a little sketchy, but nothing overwhelming or out of the norm for any transit station in a city centre. Now it's totally f***ed. Don't know if there is any other way to describe it.

This column is timely. The Japan comparisons are a bit grating due to the cultural and societal differences, but a more heavy handed approach to petty crime is pretty much the one and only answer to getting this under control. An answer that the Federal government and City counsel have no interest in whatsoever. It could be Night of the Living Dead out there and they would still shrug their shoulders and pretend harm reduction will make it all work.

Josh Dehaas: Japan convinced me Canadians don’t need to accept urban disorder

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Is the funicular working presently?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Is the funicular working presently?
I'd need an hour by hour report to answer that. Also define working beyond it often being used as a place to smoke crack and go for rides to score more.

What a friggen waste of money. The whole area there is sketchy on every level of the development. Sometimes they do a sweep through there and tell some people to beat it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad