Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Somewhere, there are people with low opinions of WoW because, in their experience, it was just filled with trolls with joke names running around killing people while quoting movie lines ;).

Here's an unpopular opinion: WoW is a great game. It's just popular to hate on what's popular after it no longer appeals to you, and the open-ended and subscription natures of WoW mean that most people play it well past the point at which they should've stopped. By the time that they cancel, they're bitter towards the game and that informs their opinion of the game forever, rather than the time that they enjoyed in the game.

My problem with WoW was that it's not what I would call "traditional" role playing like Bauldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights, or any other Dungeons & Dragons game.

It seemed more to me as just people running around trying to get the biggest, shiniest sword and armor as fast as they could.

Leroy Jenkins was pretty cool tho

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Somewhere, there are people with low opinions of WoW because, in their experience, it was just filled with trolls with joke names running around killing people while quoting movie lines ;).

Here's an unpopular opinion: WoW is a great game. It's just popular to hate on what's popular after it no longer appeals to you, and the open-ended and subscription natures of WoW mean that most people play it well past the point at which they should've stopped. By the time that they cancel, they're bitter towards the game and that informs their opinion of the game forever, rather than the time that they enjoyed in the game.

I gave the free trial a try. Start in an area with shops that have equipment a little out of your price range, talk to NPC's to get riveting quests like 'kill 10 wolves'. Everything runs so smoothly in that the quests are a little challenging at first but as you complete them you can level up and buy the better equipment, just in time for the area being too easy for you at which point it's time to move onto the next zone. Then the whole process repeats again, and apparently you're supposed to grind it out like this out for over 100+ hours or something before you finally get to the 'good' part of the game.

I mean if it came out 5 years earlier I probably would have gotten hooked on it, but I'd already wasted a lot of time on an MMO and had played more than enough RPG's to recognize what a great big Skinner box WoW is.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
chrono trigger absolutely blows final fantasy oit of the water

xbox one is a literal piece of **** (not sure how unpopular this is)

earthbound is massively overrated. it pandered to hipsters before hipsters existed (or at least were recognized as a group). the fact that it goes for 200$ (when its not even that rare!!!! is nuts)

indiana jones and the infernal machine (does anyone even know about this game) > tomb raider

You'd be surprised how close it is between CT and FFVI as the best 16-bit RPG.

Xbox One being **** isn't really unpopular considering Microsoft took a dump on people's mouths in 2013 with the pisspoor PR and the whole digital future nonsense.

The bolded is why I just wait for eShop/PSN releases of expensive classic games.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
chrono trigger absolutely blows final fantasy oit of the water

xbox one is a literal piece of **** (not sure how unpopular this is)

earthbound is massively overrated. it pandered to hipsters before hipsters existed (or at least were recognized as a group). the fact that it goes for 200$ (when its not even that rare!!!! is nuts)

indiana jones and the infernal machine (does anyone even know about this game) > tomb raider

100% agreed. I bought the game when it was released and it was trash. I tried it again years ago and it was still trash. I have no idea how the hell that game got so much love.

I think FFVII is overrated too but at least it's fun and a good game, unlike Earthbound. IMO of course.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
When I think of early wow, I think of all the crazy exploits were used to do.

This one in particular. Letting your pet have the explode cast on it and then putting it away, then going to The auction house and summoning the pet again. Blew up everyone in the auction house LOL.

I could go into great depth about corrupted blood plague griefing. Same idea, dismiss your pet while sick this time and release into populated area. Server chaos for a week!

Dragging Kazzak to Stormwind before they fixed it so you could not drag him all that way was fun as hell.

Of course, WOW was way too vanilla Carebear friendly compared to the things I used to do in Ultima Online. A game that was the first MMO and forced PVP because the idea was to be a blank slate.

Eventually, carebear roleplayers got their own servers, but until then, us powergamers made the game living hell for them.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'll probably never be able to find it, but I saw a WoW video years ago of two low level guys planning on how to attack a wolf cause the one guy needed leather boots or something, then after they killed it, the other guy stole them, then used his hearthstone to travel like 20 feet away then started running away while the other started chasing him and went off on a profanity laden diatribe.

Was the funniest **** ever, I literally almost died laughing :laughing:

Greatest troll job ever ainec.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'll probably never be able to find it, but I saw a WoW video years ago of two low level guys planning on how to attack a wolf cause the one guy needed leather boots or something, then after they killed it, the other guy stole them, then used his hearthstone to travel like 20 feet away then started running away while the other started chasing him and went off on a profanity laden diatribe.

Was the funniest **** ever, I literally almost died laughing :laughing:

Greatest troll job ever ainec.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

WoW is/was a decent game. EQ2 was better.
When Wow released you could play it on a mediocre family PC. EQ2 needed a gaming PC so people without one had to turn the graphics way down and still had framerate issues. It was easier to say the game sucked then that their PC sucked and couldn't play it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Call me cynical but thats insanely fake.

I mean something I found out only much later was that leroy jenkins was fake and that supposedly the tipoff in the video was:

Part of the satire in the video was the complex battle plan itself, which—evident only to fellow players—represented a fundamental lack of understanding of the game characters' abilities, and would have led to the party's demise even without Leeroy's suicidal charge.[1]

But that feels like revisionism. I never heard anyone point to that to say it was fake.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Call me cynical but thats insanely fake.

I mean something I found out only much later was that leroy jenkins was fake and that supposedly the tipoff in the video was:

But that feels like revisionism. I never heard anyone point to that to say it was fake.

I don't remember calling it fake, but I do remember objecting to the battle plan the first time I saw the video.

I distinctly recall the raid leader asking for "Divine Intervention" from the paladins on the mages, which, as a paladin at the time, I knew was the sacrificial move to remove one ally from the battle entirely to prevent a wipe. You could later hear the mages yelling that they couldn't move, which was exactly the problem with using that ability.

However, I merely thought he meant to say "Divine Protection" which was the buff that prevented physical damage for a short time, not that it was fake. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I gave the free trial a try. Start in an area with shops that have equipment a little out of your price range, talk to NPC's to get riveting quests like 'kill 10 wolves'. Everything runs so smoothly in that the quests are a little challenging at first but as you complete them you can level up and buy the better equipment, just in time for the area being too easy for you at which point it's time to move onto the next zone. Then the whole process repeats again, and apparently you're supposed to grind it out like this out for over 100+ hours or something before you finally get to the 'good' part of the game.

I mean if it came out 5 years earlier I probably would have gotten hooked on it, but I'd already wasted a lot of time on an MMO and had played more than enough RPG's to recognize what a great big Skinner box WoW is.

It seems to me like you're complaining about how balanced and polished the game is. "Everything runs so smoothly" is usually high praise, not criticism. That's precisely one of the big reasons why the game was as good as it was. Blizzard knows balance and polish.

BTW, I found the "good part" of the game to be the early game, the leveling up and discovering new lands and monsters. I'm surprised that you just thought of that as "grind." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess that you had recently come off of raiding in EverQuest, weren't interested in starting 100 hours of leveling up again and just wanted to get to the endgame/raiding content. If so, then you may have ruined WoW for yourself through expectation and impatience. After all, you said that you probably would've been hooked if you'd played it years earlier, suggesting that the issue wasn't with the game.

WoW is/was a decent game. EQ2 was better.
When Wow released you could play it on a mediocre family PC. EQ2 needed a gaming PC so people without one had to turn the graphics way down and still had framerate issues. It was easier to say the game sucked then that their PC sucked and couldn't play it.

If you happen to be suggesting that WoW beat out EQ2 because it ran well on older PCs, then I think that you're simplifying things too much. If EQ2 had more modest hardware requirements, it still would've lost to WoW, IMO. After all, EQ1, which was still going and had much more modest hardware requirements, couldn't compete, either. WoW was simply more accessible (not just system requirements-wise, but it appealed to more than just hardcore gamers) and forgiving, had a more attractive art design, had a more popular/conventional fantasy theme and was more polished. It was a perfect storm that hit every note to become a massive hit. EQ and EQ2 were like Windows Mobile smartphones trying to compete once the iPhone came out. Being around first and being superior in some ways don't mean as much as being perfectly polished and packaged for mass appeal.

Last edited:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Elder Scrolls Oblivion was terrible. Guy at GameStop made it sound like the best game ever. Played it for 1 day and wanted to give my copy away for free that's how much I disliked it. Wasn't for me. Skyrim much better.

I thought Sonic Adventure 2 was an overall enjoyable game with only one part at the end being frustrating for me.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda game I've ever played. Main story was so short and not only that but the dungeons in said short main story were so trash, that I just didn't even feel like doing all the mask gatherings or other side quests afterwards.

Can't believe it's widely regarded as the 2nd best Zelda game of all time. Some crazies even rank it ahead of Ocarina of Time.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think you can lump me in the group that prefers majoras mask to ocarina.

I thought the side quests were great and really liked the take on a minor character (skull kid) from the first game. It actual had some interesting character arc which you don't see in zelda games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Stealth games are boring

Depends on the stealth.

If it's a game where it's kinda pseudo-stealth (first game that comes to mind are the Batman Arkham games) i don't mind.

What i hate most is the games where they cram in stealth where it has no business being (Zelda is a major offender)

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
-Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics are better than all FFs other than 7 (btw 12 and 13 are garbage)
-Bioshock Infinite is better than the orginal
-Dragon Age is the best Bioware game not named KoToR
-Star Wars Battlefront II is more enjoyable than any online FPS that wasn't Halo 2/3
-Arkham Asylum is the best Batman game

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda game I've ever played. Main story was so short and not only that but the dungeons in said short main story were so trash, that I just didn't even feel like doing all the mask gatherings or other side quests afterwards.

Can't believe it's widely regarded as the 2nd best Zelda game of all time. Some crazies even rank it ahead of Ocarina of Time.

Glad to see some people don't like it. I just liked the town parts. Everything else was bad

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Depends on the stealth.

If it's a game where it's kinda pseudo-stealth (first game that comes to mind are the Batman Arkham games) i don't mind.

What i hate most is the games where they cram in stealth where it has no business being (Zelda is a major offender)

Agreed. The only thing worse than stealth games are action games with stupid stealth parts. If your shooter needs sneaky parts to keep the gameplay fresh, your game's gameplay SUCKS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad