Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Mass Effect 3 overall was an amazing game and the ending wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

The new Halo games (4 and 5) are pretty great.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't know how you couldn't like that level. It was one of the best campaign missions I've ever played

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If you're talking about modern warfare (I Don't Keep Track Of numbers), can you really consider that level awesome? It was good for a story level but as stealth it's just interactive storytelling. There's only one answer to anything.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It seems to me like you're complaining about how balanced and polished the game is. "Everything runs so smoothly" is usually high praise, not criticism. That's precisely one of the big reasons why the game was as good as it was. Blizzard knows balance and polish.

BTW, I found the "good part" of the game to be the early game, the leveling up and discovering new lands and monsters. I'm surprised that you just thought of that as "grind." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess that you had recently come off of raiding in EverQuest, weren't interested in starting 100 hours of leveling up again and just wanted to get to the endgame/raiding content. If so, then you may have ruined WoW for yourself through expectation and impatience. After all, you said that you probably would've been hooked if you'd played it years earlier, suggesting that the issue wasn't with the game.

No I've never played EverQuest. I was more talking about an age thing here, but somehow when I transitioned from console to PC in '99 I missed the good MMO's and got sucked in by a banner add to a crappy one not even worth mentioning for two years. By the time I looked at WoW 5+ years later I only played it for a few hours, and while I know some people enjoyed playing up to the level cap most people would say the 'good part' comes from the end game content.

Anyways this sums up my beef with WoW better:

My problem with WoW was that it's not what I would call "traditional" role playing like Bauldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights, or any other Dungeons & Dragons game.

It seemed more to me as just people running around trying to get the biggest, shiniest sword and armor as fast as they could.

I'm more interested in playing single player RPG's that last 50-100 hours before I move onto the next one. But between the success of Diablo (which basically killed the CRPG) and WoW so much development funds got diverted to chase the Blizzard success. If I'm not interested in WoW I'm not going to be interested in a WoW imitator, yet that's about all that was released for 10 or so years in that genre.

So I consider it to be a highly polarizing game. If you got into it then it's one of the best things ever. If you didn't (and this side is likely the majority), then it's kind of **** because you can't escape it's influence.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
By the time I looked at WoW 5+ years later I only played it for a few hours, and while I know some people enjoyed playing up to the level cap most people would say the 'good part' comes from the end game content.

I played WoW when it was brand new. I was even in the open beta. I'm not sure that the endgame content was even finished or in the game until months after release. Either way, no one knew anything about it or cared. Of course, years later, everyone cared only for the endgame content. Even if you were a new player, you were playing alongside a lot of veterans who were just leveling up new characters to make available for their raiding guilds, had already seen and played everything before, poo pooed all but the endgame content and spoiled the discovery and challenge for new gamers. Players like that and even new players who were eager to join their friends in the endgame content rushed through all of the leveling up content and changed the culture in the game.

There's no arguing that it changed like that, but that's not how it was in the beginning. I wish that more people would've played it from the very start, since I get the impression that most who really criticize the game picked it up late, when everything was known about everything and there was no mystery or patience any more.

When I say that it's a great game, I'm basing it on my experience when it was new. I, personally, think that that's the fairest way to judge it. Naturally, others can only judge it on their experiences in the game years later, and I'm not suggesting that that doesn't hold value, but I also wonder if it's really fair to blame the game for the behavior of the players after they learned to "game" the game (rushing through it, playing just to farm so that they can make money on eBay, etc.). That can apply to any online game, really.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm more interested in playing single player RPG's that last 50-100 hours before I move onto the next one. But between the success of Diablo (which basically killed the CRPG) and WoW so much development funds got diverted to chase the Blizzard success. If I'm not interested in WoW I'm not going to be interested in a WoW imitator, yet that's about all that was released for 10 or so years in that genre

this

give me nwn any day

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There's no arguing that it changed like that, but that's not how it was in the beginning. I wish that more people would've played it from the very start, since I get the impression that most who really criticize the game picked it up late, when everything was known about everything and there was no mystery or patience any more.

When I say that it's a great game, I'm basing it on my experience when it was new. I, personally, think that that's the fairest way to judge it. Naturally, others can only judge it on their experiences in the game years later, and I'm not suggesting that that doesn't hold value, but I also wonder if it's really fair to blame the game for the behavior of the players after they learned to "game" the game (rushing through it, playing just to farm so that they can make money on eBay, etc.). That can apply to any online game, really.

Yeah now that part is completely true for me. I get it on Guild Wars from the start, played for a month or two, then took a break. Little over half a year later I jump back in... and it was like a completely different community. All sorts of new acronyms to decipher, the best builds were all figured out and you were expected to follow along, etc etc.

To understand what happens I think you need to use Magic The Gatherings defined player types: Timmy (power gamer, likes to dominate), Johnny (creative player, enjoys challenge), and Spike (competitive player, plays to win). I'm a pure Johnny, so the early game when nothing's been figured out is bliss. But the Timmys & Spikes make a natural alliance, and eventually they take over and dominate the scene.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda game I've ever played. Main story was so short and not only that but the dungeons in said short main story were so trash, that I just didn't even feel like doing all the mask gatherings or other side quests afterwards.

Can't believe it's widely regarded as the 2nd best Zelda game of all time. Some crazies even rank it ahead of Ocarina of Time.

stone tower > any ocarina dungeon

ocarina of time is one of the most overrated zelda games anyway

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Probably one of the more overrated games of all time, honestly...but that's not surprising considering it was something of a pioneer and is widely regarded as one of the best of all time (which is clearly wrong since the best game ever made is clearly Duck Game ;)).

It remains to date the only Zelda game I've ever played, and I thought it was pretty decent overall. Pretty impressive technologically back in the day.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

For me it's the Great Bay Temple > any ocarina dungeon. But really, I thought all of MM's dungeons were well made, high quality and fun to play. I can't say that about any Ocarina Dungeon.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
For me it's the Great Bay Temple > any ocarina dungeon. But really, I thought all of MM's dungeons were well made, high quality and fun to play. I can't say that about any Ocarina Dungeon.

Yeah, Great Bay Temple is excellent as well, and I'd agree with that. The parts leading up to Stone Tower are fantastic as well.

I don't want to **** on Ocarina of Time, I love it. It was my first Zelda game that I beat. I've played it well over 30 times, but the idea that it's perfect and untouchable is mind boggling to me. It's very good, but some of the dungeons can be a bit of a drag, and it's insanely linear.

I think Twilight Princess is easily the better game. It did everything OoT did, but better. Better dungeons, better graphics, better music, better bosses, better items (bomb arrows), better characters, and a much, MUCH better companion (Midna GOAT). I'd have OoT fourth on my list of best Zelda games, after Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Majora's Mask (MM being 1).

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
PewDiePie and online video game commentary is overrated. If I want to watch a YouTube video I'm watching to learn how to beat a boss or make a move in nhl 17. Just tell me how to do it. I don't need fourty hours of you commentating on call of duty repeating the terms "Rate review and subscribe". In fact, depending on the game, some of us just want to hear the game play and sound and your commentary over it is distracting!!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
PewDiePie and online video game commentary is overrated. If I want to watch a YouTube video I'm watching to learn how to beat a boss or make a move in nhl 17. Just tell me how to do it. I don't need fourty hours of you commentating on call of duty repeating the terms "Rate review and subscribe". In fact, depending on the game, some of us just want to hear the game play and sound and your commentary over it is distracting!!

I think you misread the title of this thread Mike. It is supposed to be about "unpopular" opinions :laugh:

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Watching people play video games is incredibly lame and in no way interesting.

maxresdefault.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is hit and miss for me. There are definitely some of the youtube gamer guys that are legit funny, and some that just annoy me and suck. Pewdepie falls in latter.

Let's Plays just don't appeal to me at all. Guys giving, entertaining but thoughtful reviews or theories are one thing, but I really don't want to watch you make weird voices and scream while playing FNAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad