Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ahh I got another one.

Bioshock series. Nothing, and I mean nothing in these games sucked me in. I tried my hardest to put a few hours into each and to let it pull me in, and nothing. I was thoroughly bored and constantly tempted to change games.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Ahh I got another one.

Bioshock series. Nothing, and I mean nothing in these games sucked me in. I tried my hardest to put a few hours into each and to let it pull me in, and nothing. I was thoroughly bored and constantly tempted to change games.

I'm actually 100% with you on this one.

I've never been able to understand what people see in the BioShock games, myself.

I haven't tried Infinite though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Are you sure sure sure it was 2003 and not 2004? 2004 wasn't too shabby and working the PP in 2004 was actually fun as hell. I would think there are very very very verrrrry few people who enjoyed 2003.

Ya. 03. It's a blast, and the gameplay modifiers made it even better. It's also the favourite of my friend I always play NHL games with, and we played it as recently as a few months ago. I didn't even think that was controversial. Everyone I know loves it

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Why do people like Final Fantasy X?

I've been watching the Mrs. play it and I just don't get it. Not to mention it has way too much in common with Grandia 2.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Final Fantasy and all those other point and click RPGs never interested me. They seemed so stupid. Move to an area, press a button, and your character does all the attacking for you. It always seemed lame and like a total waste

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ya. 03. It's a blast, and the gameplay modifiers made it even better. It's also the favourite of my friend I always play NHL games with, and we played it as recently as a few months ago. I didn't even think that was controversial. Everyone I know loves it

Yeah me and my friends were the opposite. Bought 03 in college, we all hated it and bought 2k3 and had an absolute blast with that game.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I'm actually 100% with you on this one.

I've never been able to understand what people see in the BioShock games, myself.

I haven't tried Infinite though.

it's an incredibly atmospheric/survival horror esque fps with bad ass abilities and a wrench as a melee weapon

whats not to like

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bioshock was basically System Shock under water.

Didn't play Bioshock 2.

Bioshock Infinite was an unholy mess and a very boring shooter.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

I've been watching the Mrs. play it and I just don't get it. Not to mention it has way too much in common with Grandia 2.

I don't get it either. FFX was the start of the hallway simulator design that plagued XIII.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
To what extent, get to the point.

Well you can do lots of things in games that can mirror real life events with a much greater degree of freedom and... experimentation than the MW2 level. What difference is there between that and planting car bombs in a GTA game?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember replaying the original Deus Ex before Human Revolution came out in 2010. When I first started replaying it then, I couldn't believe how dated everything looked and even how clunky it felt at times. However, just after an hour or so of playing and getting the feel for the game, it was still the same amazing game and there were a lot of details that I was noticing that modern games (relative at the time) did not have.

The same thing happens with me. I have an initial visceral reaction to how much uglier the graphics and controls are than what I remembered and I question if I really want to play the game, after all. After an hour or so, though, I get totally comfortable and don't even notice the datedness anymore. It's like it takes a little while for my brain to switch from contemporary mode to [year the game was made] mode. Once it does, the nostalgia trip can really begin.

Ahh I got another one.

A game series that oozes with atmosphere, story, gameplay, uniqueness and challenge bores you, but a game that has you slaughter unarmed civilians in public like shooting fish in a barrel is up your alley ;). I'm exaggerating to tease you, but I also honestly feel that it's sort of indicative of a problem today. Gamers will play countless CoD games that are all the same, but throw something different at them, something that tries to break the mold of what a shooter is, and it's too different for them and they get bored.

How come no one ever gets bored of the same four weapon types (pistol, rifle, rocket launcher, grenade) appearing in every single CoD, but a game comes along that gives you not just all of those, but 3 different ammo types for each of them, a wrench and the ability to electrocute/freeze/incinerate/distract/throw enemies (as well as more than one way to do many of those), hack turrets to fight for you and even turn enemies against each other, and people quickly do get bored with that? It doesn't make sense. Maybe it's because it takes too much imagination and thinking and some gamers prefer, when they game, to just shut their brains off and do what they're told (go here, pick up this rocket launcher and use it on that tank, throw a smoke grenade here, etc.).

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
The same thing happens with me. I have an initial visceral reaction to how much uglier the graphics and controls are than what I remembered and I question if I really want to play the game, after all. After an hour or so, though, I get totally comfortable and don't even notice the datedness anymore. It's like it takes a little while for my brain to switch from contemporary mode to [year the game was made] mode. Once it does, the nostalgia trip can really begin.

A game series that oozes with atmosphere, story, gameplay, uniqueness and challenge bores you, but a game that has you slaughter unarmed civilians in public like shooting fish in a barrel is up your alley ;). I'm exaggerating to tease you, but I also honestly feel that it's sort of indicative of a problem today. Gamers will play countless CoD games that are all the same, but throw something different at them, something that tries to break the mold of what a shooter is, and it's too different for them and they get bored.

How come no one ever gets bored of the same four weapon types (pistol, rifle, rocket launcher, grenade) appearing in every single CoD, but a game comes along that gives you not just all of those, but 3 different ammo types for each of them, a wrench and the ability to electrocute/freeze/incinerate/distract/throw enemies (as well as more than one way to do many of those), hack turrets to fight for you and even turn enemies against each other, and people quickly do get bored with that? It doesn't make sense. Maybe it's because it takes too much imagination and thinking and some gamers prefer, when they game, to just shut their brains off and do what they're told (go here, pick up this rocket launcher and use it on that tank, throw a smoke grenade here, etc.).

Would you kindly explain why that's a bad thing?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Would you kindly explain why that's a bad thing?

The more that a game tells you exactly what to do, the less of a game it is. That's because it takes away the challenge and the problem solving. It's why you don't tell a kid exactly how to do something new. It's more rewarding and becomes a better learning memory if he figures it on his own or at least tries to. If he takes too long and starts to get frustrated, you might coax him along with a hint, but you don't tell him exactly what to do except as a last resort.

Video games are like that for older kids and adults. It's most rewarding if the gamer figures things out for himself. If there's an attack chopper overhead, I'm going to wonder if I can shoot it down; then I'm going to run around looking for something to shoot it down with. Once I stumble onto something, I'm going to become excited. I'm then going to search for a good place to fire it from. If, seconds after the chopper is heard, the game tells me to "get a rocket launcher from the basement, get to the roof and shoot that chopper down," at least half of the fun is spoiled for me. I didn't solve the problem. The game solved it for me. Where's the fun in that?

Like I implied, if the gamer is taking too long, hints can be acceptable. I'm referring mainly about being told explicitly what to do from the very beginning, before being given any time to solve the situation on my own. To be further clear, I'm not referring to mission goals (like "blow up the satellite dishes at the communication center"), which obviously need to be explicit, but, if the game is telling me exactly what do every step of the way, that would qualify.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

:laugh: Please. I haven't bought a COD game since AW, and MW2 was the last campaign I've played on one. The games were boring and basic, sorry to say, I really did want to like them. The fact is, I don't have a lot of time to play through games, and those games in particular, just weren't worth my time, it felt like they tried to give you freedom, but still railroaded you straight down the same basic path.

All that being said, I'm a picky gamer, I've only put a crazy amount of time into a handful of games over the past 5 years. Which for the most part have been open world RPG's, and recently survival/creation.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Was that the one with Blitzball? Blitzball was awesome, and worth the price alone. The game itself wasn't great, and as usual the story was bizarre.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Final Fantasy and all those other point and click RPGs never interested me. They seemed so stupid. Move to an area, press a button, and your character does all the attacking for you. It always seemed lame and like a total waste

That's not really an unpopular opinion. FFVII brought the genre to the mainstream for two console generations but otherwise JRPG's have been a pretty niche market outside of Japan. I'm not going to bother getting into the merits of these games, but obviously the gameplay is not for everyone.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
It's a legit criticism of FFX, but there was far more wrong with FFXIII than just being a hallway simulator.

While I agree, the point isn't about one being better than the other, it was that there was a paradigm shift in how FF dealt with exploration that remained consistent for two console generations.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Funny enough it sounds like BotW is ditching a bunch of things Arin was *****ing about in that video. Shorter chest animations, very little hand holding, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad