TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can’t believe some of the comments supporting Campbell. The guy has no business calling anything, he’s not a compelling broadcaster in the mold of the long line of quality pros that have had the privilege of calling Habs games.

Calling Habs games is supposed to be the most prestigious job in hockey. To gift that to a rank amateur says a lot about where 690 is headed.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I can’t believe some of the comments supporting Campbell. The guy has no business calling anything, he’s not a compelling broadcaster in the mold of the long line of quality pros that have had the privilege of calling Habs games.

Calling Habs games is supposed to be the most prestigious job in hockey. To gift that to a rank amateur says a lot about where 690 is headed.

I dunno. The first radio voice I remember was dino sisto for the Habs. I have no idea what happened to him but he wasn't any thing special from what I recall.

As far as the television side goes, it appears to be more of a stepping stone in the pursuit of getting a better gig than It is prestigious.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I dunno. The first radio voice I remember was dino sisto for the Habs. I have no idea what happened to him but he wasn't any thing special from what I recall.

As far as the television side goes, it appears to be more of a stepping stone in the pursuit of getting a better gig than It is prestigious.
Sisto was fired further to an altercation with then communications director, Donald Beauchamp. There were also allegations of harassment by Sisto against a Habs employee but don’t know what part, if any, those played in his dismissal.

Regardless, he was not there a long time but as I recall, there was nothing abhorrent about his PxP. He wasn’t Dick Irvin but neither was he at the abysmal level that Campbell is at.

Broadcasting NHL hockey in Canada is highly regarded and is a well paying television job.

Broadcasting games for the most storied franchise in hockey always involved the observing of high standards which clearly have been seriously eroded with Campbell taking over radio PxP.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Sisto was fired further to an altercation with then communications director, Donald Beauchamp. There were also allegations of harassment by Sisto against a Habs employee but don’t know what part, if any, those played in his dismissal.

Regardless, he was not there a long time but as I recall, there was nothing abhorrent about his PxP. He wasn’t Dick Irvin but neither was he at the abysmal level that Campbell is at.

Broadcasting NHL hockey in Canada is highly regarded and is a well paying television job.

Broadcasting games for the most storied franchise in hockey always involved the observing of high standards which clearly have been seriously eroded with Campbell taking over radio PxP.
agree it's become incredibly embarassing. As per sisto he was ok, but he also had pierre McGuire doing color which helped

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

TV is typically blacked out for me so radio is my main choice for catching the games. I already knew Robertson left a few weeks ago so I'm not sure why I was so shocked to hear Campbell on Monday, but yet, I was. Pretty sad state of affairs over at TSN 690...

Reactions: Runner77

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
the whole campbell thing is really absurd. calls the game in TO last night and is back on the air for 4 hours WITHOUT gallo who seems to be on vacation? and then he's back in the booth tonight? how is this not comedy? this is college radio / amateur hour. is 690 considered a joke around the country too?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
the whole campbell thing is really absurd. calls the game in TO last night and is back on the air for 4 hours WITHOUT gallo who seems to be on vacation? and then he's back in the booth tonight? how is this not comedy? this is college radio / amateur hour. is 690 considered a joke around the country too?
Campbell won't calling the Habs/Jets game on 690 tonight it seems. He said during the 690 update that Peter Ruttgaizer (I had to google his name) will be calling the game tonight with Sergio. I've never heard of this guy before.

Not sure how Campbell can pull all of this off. He'll still be calling Rocket games it seems, calls Alouettes games plus his daily show so how can he fit also calling all Habs games into this.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

Tbf everyone on 690 excluding Melnick shouldn't be anywhere near professional broadcasting. All of them, Gallo, Campbell, McKenna, Still, Trendatue, the twitter guy ect are beyond awful. They make college radio sound great in comparison. None of them know anything insightful about the sport of hockey nor do they seem to care about putting anything more than bare minimum effort into show prep.

Say what you will about Tony but honestly I'd rather listen to anything he puts online than ANY show on 690 at this point. Said it earlier in the thread, the Gorton interview was embarrassing. It was legitimately worse than interviews I've heard on obscure podcasts.

Seriously, Ottawa, which is the worst market outside of Arizona, has WAY better hosts and has more former players/people who actually know the game of hockey on the air.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Campbell won't calling the Habs/Jets game on 690 tonight it seems. He said during the 690 update that Peter Ruttgaizer (I had to google his name) will be calling the game tonight with Sergio. I've never heard of this guy before.

Not sure how Campbell can pull all of this off. He'll still be calling Rocket games it seems, calls Alouettes games plus his daily show so how can he fit also calling all Habs games into this.
Campbell’s multiple gigs are unsustainable. I remember that someone at the station had asked him to choose — either call games or host a show and it appears he wasn’t interested in choosing so he’s living like a rented mule.

Reactions: Pickles and sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Campbell’s multiple gigs are unsustainable. I remember that someone at the station had asked him to choose — either call games or host a show and it appears he wasn’t interested in choosing so he’s living like a rented mule.
Yup I just can't see how he can do all this. If he was the full time 690 Habs play by play guy I can't see him doing Rocket and Al's games but it seems he'll still be doing these as well. :dunno:

I have no idea who this Peter Ruttgaizer guy calling the game tonight is other than what I just read after googling him. Has he been on 690 calling games or doing anything in the past?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup I just can't see how he can do all this. If he was the full time 690 Habs play by play guy I can't see him doing Rocket and Al's games but it seems he'll still be doing these as well. :dunno:

I have no idea who this Peter Ruttgaizer guy calling the game tonight is other than what I just read after googling him. Has he been on 690 calling games or doing anything in the past?
Never heard of him. I keep reading Butt Gazer when I see that name, which is what Campbell and his garden gnome do all day long.

• Haha
Reactions: sheed36

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Posted this in the Montreal management thread but it's probably more appropriate to be posted here instead.

Jeff Gorton is Nilan's latest guest on his Raw Knuckles podcast which was posted about 20 minutes ago for anyone interested in taking a listen.

with the loosening of the vaccine mandates, the station manager looks like even more of a myopic idiot by letting him walk. they could've found a compromise.

btw who is the station manager? he's mostly responsible for this entire disaster

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
with the loosening of the vaccine mandates, the station manager looks like even more of a myopic idiot by letting him walk. they could've found a compromise.

btw who is the station manager? he's mostly responsible for this entire disaster
Can't say I'm too disappointed. Knuckles' podcast has been way more awesome than anything he was doing on TSN.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

That winner is Chris Bury based on my quick Twitter search. Proof that media, like politics, is an industry that rewards failure and incompetence

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That winner is Chris Bury based on my quick Twitter search. Proof that media, like politics, is an industry that rewards failure and incompetence
The station’s general manager used to be Wayne Bews, who is now a real estate broker: Wayne Bews, Residential And Commercial Real Estate Broker , Royal LePage Village | Royal LePage

I don’t know how long Bury has been on the job but this abysmal talent shift into rampant amateurism is happening under his watch. Maybe his hands are tied, I don’t know but there was at least Bartlett and then Robertson heading the radio broadcasts and now we have no one close that level.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone know how I can turn off this Outbrain trash?

1664487562712.png

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Can't say I'm too disappointed. Knuckles' podcast has been way more awesome than anything he was doing on TSN.
true but that's also because of who was producing him - even with radio limitations

The station’s general manager used to be Wayne Bews, who is now a real estate broker: Wayne Bews, Residential And Commercial Real Estate Broker , Royal LePage Village | Royal LePage

I don’t know how long Bury has been on the job but this abysmal talent shift into rampant amateurism is happening under his watch. Maybe his hands are tied, I don’t know but there was at least Bartlett and then Robertson heading the radio broadcasts and now we have no one close that level.
embarrassing shit

Hello everyone. Rarely post, but love to follow all media threads. People were asking about Peter Ruttgaizer. Here's his Twitter link. He's done work for CBC, calling CEBL games and I think some Olympic work

is he the new PBP dude or are they giving him an audition? - or even worse, he's just there to spell soupy when he's wearing his 11 other hats

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Did Pierre McGuire rejoin Melnick's usual slot? I just heard him on air, was pleasantly surprised.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ha, ha, JiC now referring to Mapper as “Mappelicious.” :laugh:

Following that, Mapper just comes on air unfazed, rattles off his report and doesn’t even react.

Reactions: dinodebino

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Listening to Peter Ruttgaizer, he`s clearly experienced, worked for MSG network before. Early impression is all right. They will need someone to call Laval games, I assume.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Listening to Peter Ruttgaizer, he`s clearly experienced, worked for MSG network before. Early impression is all right. They will need someone to call Laval games, I assume.
I heard about 10 minutes of the game on the radio while I was driving.

Not the best pxp guy but like you said, clearly experienced and Campbell soup is nowhere close to this guys league.

Ruttgaizer will be doing the Saturday game as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad