TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It sounds like when John Bartlett left 690, they auditioned a bunch of guys in the pre-season and ended up choosing Dan Robertson. Appears to be what they are doing now to replace Dan.

Reactions: rik schau

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Bullcrap like this make the Habs look like a 3rd rate organization. I am guessing this is Chantal's way of getting close to the fans. Since the product itself has sucked ( getting better) I guess they have to resort to this clown act.

Not as classy as we used to be , are we ?
Not Chantal. She has no say in this.

Chantal Machabée
Not.

Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Ha, ha, JiC now referring to Mapper as “Mappelicious.” :laugh:

Following that, Mapper just comes on air unfazed, rattles off his report and doesn’t even react.
He did also last year. He’s a womanizer and I think that there’s correlation here. Mapper is not just covering the Habs when he goes on the road.:naughty:

If this doesnt fall under communications , then what department is it ?
Marc Dumont said it when he got fired. Chantal works for PR, not for SM or marketing efforts. No clue who. Chantal is all about having players and management do interviews left and right, but she’s not the Twitch lady. Dumont made that very clear.

And Raphael is annoying AF. There are better personalities out there. No clue why he got to do this crap. He ANNOYS me! To no end.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Posted this in the Montreal management thread but it's probably more appropriate to be posted here instead.

Jeff Gorton is Nilan's latest guest on his Raw Knuckles podcast which was posted about 20 minutes ago for anyone interested in taking a listen.

I just watched it. Talks about how he got his start in Boston front office. Was GM there 122 days. Drafted Lucic, Kessel, Marchant. Traded Raycroft for Task. Signed Chara. Why he left. How he ended up in NY. Their rebuild. How he got Fox. How Wilson incident led to his firing. Gordie Clark coming here. Gorton can't believe he is here. Gainey pointed Molson in his direction. Didn't think Hughes would give up his business at first. Talked to others, six weeks later circled back to Hughes. Who had warmed up to idea. Both thought Marty coaching material. He traded for Marty in NY, he became their leader right away. In Montreal Energy in room he felt bad. Both recommend Marty. Knew players were here. Just came from Finals. Thoughts Habs had run into covid troubles then injuries troubles with Price, Weber. Wanted young players to come in, create energy on team. Captain kept coming back to Nick. His character, contract in place. Went to Brendan right away explained it to him. Gallagher great guy, agreed to it. Great support for Suzuki. (I can't see Gorton trading Gallagher way he bragged him up). At draft thought team had to get bigger, help at future center also. Draft incredible night. Very dramatic. Slaf decision made day before draft. Brought Slaf in day of draft to make sure. At combine bout like speed dating. He had 20 minutes to talk to each prospect. Wanted to throw tough questions at them. Make them uncomfortable. Just to see their reaction. Took top 5 he liked out to dinner in Buffalo. Had two hours to talk each one. Couple didn't know basic of game. Like How do you play in neutral zone? There's a delay, then he says I just play my wing. Gorton said 9 times out of 10 most successful will know everything about hockey. Thinks Wright will be good one also. Marty recommended Pitlick. Said there is something there. Needs offensive defenseman. Best teams have best goalies, needs to address that. Team needs more toughness, grit. Bergevin gets run down too much in Montreal. Lot of good players he bought in, mentioned Suzuki. Had cap trouble, had room but used it to acquire extra first and thinks Monahan will bounce back. Hope Carey plays again. Doubts he plays this season though. Having played against him hoping for a miracle and he returns to play in Montreal

Reactions: Chili and sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Does Marinaro pay you for all the promos you do for him? He should.

Some of us are trying to forget the pompous, shameless, language mangler with the cringy comedy bits who is overly obsessed with himself and wherever he can get more of himself seen and heard.

Does he give any money to charity? Does he genuinely help people for selfless, altruistic reasons? That would at least be endearing as it would help others not just himself, his brand, his sponsors or the fake soccer interviews he schedules with European soccer academies which are nothing more than shilling for places where he wants his kids to attend for free in exchange for the free publicity he provides.

But, instead of that, he’s just finding new ways to spew the same old loudmouth takes. So now we need to know that he’s spending more money to appear on more platforms. Really great.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Some of us are trying to forget the pompous, shameless, language mangler with the cringy comedy bits who is overly obsessed with himself and wherever he can get more of himself seen and heard.

Does he give any money to charity? Does he genuinely help people for selfless, altruistic reasons? That would at least be endearing as it would help others not just himself, his brand, his sponsors or the fake soccer interviews he schedules with European soccer academies which are nothing more than shilling for places where he wants his kids to attend for free in exchange for the free publicity he provides.

But, instead of that, he’s just finding new ways to spew the same old loudmouth takes. So now we need to know that he’s spending more money to appear on more platforms. Really great.
Did Marinaro kill your dog or something? Sheesh

Reactions: Garry Valk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It sounds like when John Bartlett left 690, they auditioned a bunch of guys in the pre-season and ended up choosing Dan Robertson. Appears to be what they are doing now to replace Dan.
Are you saying that Campbell didn’t get the job? I thought I heard Melnick say he did.

Oh no, I have to be careful if I have a negative opinion about Campbell and whoever else is an annoying buffoon, it might hurt someone’s feelings!

Nah, f*** that shit.

:m-dance:

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

I'm not exactly sure if the sick media company Tony now works for gives to charity and I'm sure Tony gets a cut for the work he does. It's kind of a cool story who started the company and how Tony got involved.
The Sick Podcast

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not exactly sure if the sick media company Tony now works for gives to charity and I'm sure Tony gets a cut for the work he does. It's kind of a cool story who started the company and how Tony got involved.
The Sick Podcast
Good for him if he does support charities but I’ve never heard anything in that vein.

Since he’s been in the media, it’s been a barrage of Me, me,me! Now, now, now! More, more, more!

I thought I was done with him when he was let go at 690 but he seems to have garnered a 2nd life in here as well as unconditional disciples. At least if he’d be helping others with no gain to him, it would be a redeeming quality.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He could always pledge $10 million to a hospital. People around here don't seem to mind if he ever follows through with an actual donation.
There is a Subban thread for that kind of gripe. :laugh:

Although, despite their economic disparity, both Subban and Marinaro are cut from the same cloth when it comes to shameless self-promo.

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
There is a Subban thread for that kind of gripe. :laugh:

Although, despite their economic disparity, both Subban and Marinaro are cut from the same cloth when it comes to shameless self-promo.
Weren't you just complaining about somebody talking about a Montreal media guy in the Montreal media thread? I am not sure I can trust your thread rules, man!

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Good for him if he does support charities but I’ve never heard anything in that vein.

Since he’s been in the media, it’s been a barrage of Me, me,me! Now, now, now! More, more, more!

I thought I was done with him when he was let go at 690 but he seems to have garnered a 2nd life in here as well as unconditional disciples. At least if he’d be helping others with no gain to him, it would be a redeeming quality.
Yeah he definitely loves the sound of his own voice. I'm not sure if he does support charities either. I listen to him occasionally but I think Knuckles gets the better guests on his show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Weren't you just complaining about somebody talking about a Montreal media guy in the Montreal media thread? I am not sure I can trust your thread rules, man!
I have no authority over anything in here. Maybe you do, I don’t know. :laugh:

I give props to media guys that are professional, informative and entertaining. By the same token, if someone falls short of that IMHO, I’ll call out the putz. This is not a media appreciation thread so I don’t know where you’re coming off with your “complaining” qualifier. It’s not as if someone in here has the ability to change anything, no matter what opinion we express.

The purpose of this thread has always been to share the good with the bad. Just because someone brings up a media guy in the media thread, doesn’t mean that particular media guy is immune from criticism where warranted.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah he definitely loves the sound of his own voice. I'm not sure if he does support charities either. I listen to him occasionally but I think Knuckles gets the better guests on his show.
I must admit I’m surprised by the positive feedback Nilan has been getting for his show.

I never liked his awkward pauses, hesitancy and his constant hems and haws but that may have just been a function of the medium he was on. Maybe he’s better suited to his current format.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I must admit I’m surprised by the positive feedback Nilan has been getting for his show.

I never liked his awkward pauses, hesitancy and his constant hems and haws but that may have just been a function of the medium he was on. Maybe he’s better suited to his current format.
He only gets a lot of praise because of the guests he's able to get.

Being a respected ex-NHL'er definitely has its pluses when you lunch yourself into podcasting.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

did you catch the Gorton interview? all his unscripted twitches and brain freeze is baked into the charm of the podcast. He kept referring to Kent hughes as 'Jeff' the entire hour while sneaking puffs of his vape pen and slamming back candies or sunflower seeds or jolly rancher stimulants

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com

Wow, someone is jealous of a successful guy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think Nilan's best trait is that he comes off as a genuine guy.

He also has gets a strong cast of guests on his show, who seem to be at ease with knuckles and let their guard down (especially the older guests).

I can see how knuckles might not be the best radio guy, but like you said, the pod really works well.

His pods start and finish with interviews, so maybe not having to fill that extra air space in between is what makes his current show a better fit.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Are you saying that Campbell didn’t get the job? I thought I heard Melnick say he did.

Oh no, I have to be careful if I have a negative opinion about Campbell and whoever else is an annoying buffoon, it might hurt someone’s feelings!

Nah, f*** that shit.

:m-dance:

I've never liked Campbell, and I'm not liking him as the play-by-play guy as his delivery is sub-par and he just doesn't present the way Dan did.

I will say Campbell is LESS annoying though since he has to stick with PBP and not ramble and share his world views during the broadcast. It's when he is allowed free rein to speak where I want to punch my radio (or throw my phone in this case since I stream).

However, I really do hope 690 replaces Dan with a proper PBP host.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad