TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Couldn’t watch the game last evening so I figured I’d catch it on the radio.

Campbell was on 690, so I fled to 98.5 FM looking for the Franco PxP crew of McGuire and Dubé. Except … they weren’t there, they got pre-empted by the Quebec election.

Between listening to Campbell and nothing, I chose nothing.

I thought I was safe from Campbell today but no, Melnick insists on replaying Campbell’s calls on his afternoon show. And so here I am surfing to another station.

Thanks 690. This is what listening to your station looks like now for some of us.
I used to love driving and listening to TSN690. Tony in the morning.. Habs Lunch with Tony/Nilan etc.. then Nilan and Campbell which I really enjoyed, they were a good combo because Nilan kept Campbell under control. Now I’m just disappointed every time I tune in. Melnick is alright but he’s not my cup of tea.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
nilan is way better on his podcast than live radio, they can edit all the ah, ah.,ah,ah out before they release it.

It's because the podcast format fits him better. It's also always an interview, so he's having a conversation rather than being on his own to host a show and talk to fill in time.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gaston on Antichambre just said Caufield should score 23-24 goals this season… He’s so clueless, that’s an embarrassing prediction.
If you thought Gaston is off base, what about his fellow on air clown, Normand Flynn?

After having had advocated trading for Wayne Simmonds in exchange for Nick Suzuki, and Palmieri for Caufield, he’s now claiming that Slaf is right now better than Suzuki:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If you thought Gaston is off base, what about his fellow on air clown, Normand Flynn?

After having had advocated trading for Wayne Simmonds in exchange for Nick Suzuki, and Palmieri for Caufield, he’s now claiming that Slaf is right now better than Suzuki:

At the point I think Normand Flynn's quotes are deliberate. Logicly he can't say that. He's in the media and analyze hockey for too long. He just can't say that with a brain over his shoulders.
I'm not a conspiracy type of guy but I think it's possible someone in the management of RDS had an idea to have someone to flame the social medias, Flynn have a duty to say things that will upset fans, that gives spinning with rds medias. Fans will expect what will be the next stupid quote from Flynn, etc. That's a genious strategy you have to admitt Runner. Personally I take that with a grain of salt. There are more important things happening in the world. Hockey is entertainment like anything else we can watch on tv or internet. Flynn is a trap, we have our brain that can be used for something that matters.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At the point I think Normand Flynn's quotes are deliberate. Logicly he can't say that. He's in the media and analyze hockey for too long. He just can't say that with a brain over his shoulders.
I'm not a conspiracy type of guy but I think it's possible someone in the management of RDS had an idea to have someone to flame the social medias, Flynn have a duty to say things that will upset fans, that gives spinning with rds medias. Fans will expect what will be the next stupid quote from Flynn, etc. That's a genious strategy you have to admitt Runner. Personally I take that with a grain of salt. There are more important things happening in the world. Hockey is entertainment like anything else we can watch on tv or internet. Flynn is a trap, we have our brain that can be used for something that matters.
Flynn spent his time in hockey coaching. Perhaps he’d be best served limiting his comments to systems and coaching in general. He clearly does not understand player value, trades or roster building.

He just comes across as a bumbling mailman with the type of voice, tone and loudness that can ward off a dog on his path.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Flynn spent his time in hockey coaching. Perhaps he’d be best served limiting his comments to systems and coaching in general. He clearly does not understand player value, trades or roster building.

He just comes across as a bumbling mailman with the type of voice, tone and loudness that can ward off a dog on his path.
I put a laugh emoji not because I laught at you but because of what is in bold, lol. Dogs are a bit mysterious, they tend to bark at me like if I'm a mean man. Dogs are affraid of me. I used to be affraid of dogs when I was young and small. Now with my strong body of renovation guy they know I can kill them if we have to do it. But I like them like I like cats and other animals. And I like guitarrrs too.

I like to read that you give qualities to Flynn. He knows few things in hockey. Maybe a bit obsolete but he fits there because some old fans watching and expecting that kind of old school comments.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You dont need to be jealous to hate someone/something.

We all hate the Bruins but we're not jealous of them.
I’d never want to be in another man’s shoes nor envy anyone.

However, if you’re a public figure and you’re constantly using the public airwaves or media to drive home a barrage of propaganda about yourself, then you shouldn’t be exempt from audience commentary.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The Montreal media scene, but more largely the entire sports social media landscape, has now attained a perfect form of pure psychedelical arab telephone. Hughes makes an innocent comment, the official media guys get into a heated debate around the issue (because there's nothing else to talk about and you have to fill in the show time), and then the f***ing sports websites write half a dozen articles on both the comment and the heated debate, with incendiary, overblown titles, that the plebs will find on their Facebook feed. This whole thing is almost an artificial intelligence.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
Of course not, but you do to write that much about someone you dislike. Just don’t listen to him.
This thread is about the media. While some of us might go overboard with our comments, that is what's it's for.

Personally , I can't believe people listen to that idiot Marinaro. Just the way he butcher's the English language gives me fits.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This thread is about the media. While some of us might go overboard with our comments, that is what's it's for.

Personally , I can't believe people listen to that idiot Marinaro. Just the way he butcher's the English language gives me fits.
I lost all respect for him when he used to ridicule intellectually deficient callers on his 690 show and would fool them into thinking they were important contributors to the show whereas they were just props for his “entertainment” scenarios.

There are lines that should never be crossed but hey, more power to those who feel otherwise.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Networks definitely like to have a "hot take" clown to stir up interest. I personally make a point of not clicking on this bait so as to not be complicit in it's reason for existence.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Tried listening to the morning show a few times, it's just not humanly possible,every fu@#ing time I turned it on the two clowns were talking about their personal lives and/or habits,this morning it was potato rolls.:facepalm:
There was something about a club sandwich is where I lost it, boy do I have a club for them.lol

Reactions: hvac412

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
It's been a while since I tuned into TSN 690 - is there any time slots that are good to listen to? I enjoyed listening around 10-2 when Tony and Nilan were on.

But now every time I seem to tune in, I can't seem to listen for more than a couple of minutes.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's been a while since I tuned into TSN 690 - is there any time slots that are good to listen to? I enjoyed listening around 10-2 when Tony and Nilan were on.

But now every time I seem to tune in, I can't seem to listen for more than a couple of minutes.
Melnick’s show, 2-6 PM has the best guests.

The banter is rather stale, Melnick is on his last legs and has stopped caring a while ago. He also takes a lot of days off.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I lost all respect for him when he used to ridicule intellectually deficient callers on his 690 show and would fool them into thinking they were important contributors to the show whereas they were just props for his “entertainment” scenarios.

There are lines that should never be crossed but hey, more power to those who feel otherwise.

Yikes. Wasn't aware of that. I thought Marinaro looked like a good guy, but I never listened to his show on radio.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yikes. Wasn't aware of that. I thought Marinaro looked like a good guy, but I never listened to his show on radio.
That's a gross exaggeration, pretty sure that guy had a blast calling the radio all the time. And if I recall correctly Tony took that guy to some games in town or some restaurants... Anyways seems like someone really has an ax to grind.

Reactions: rik schau

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Happened many times with several callers who were clearly not fit of mind and weak intellectually. These incidents were mentioned by others in prior iterations of this thread.

Those who want to disregard them are conveniently trying to paint it as a personal gripe of some sort but there is no such thing since I’m not alone in having flagged them. And they involved more than one caller.

By way of comparison, I have heard intellectually challenged listeners call hosts on BPM and they are treated with the utmost of respect. There was one particular caller who was a regular when Laraque had a show with Gonzo and their level of sensitivity and understanding towards the caller, was heartwarming.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad