TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
I really like this podcast especially because I'm fascinated by soviet society.

Knuckles keeps on knocking it out of the park.

Fact I just discovered about Knuckles is that he managed to get 141 PIM in 18 games in the 1986 stanley cup run. Its actually an all-time NHL record (NHL Records).

Prorated over a 82 games season it represents about 642 PIM! (the actual record for most PIM in a season is held by Dave Schultz with 472).

Reactions: Runner77

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
FUNNY
I had enough on Melnick's music hour. So I emailed Chris Bury program director at 690.
Told him amazing , so many stations have good guests, and 690 let's melnick play music, who cares.
a nice email I wrote, with lot's more examples for stations that do better job as a sports station.

he answered, with for your feedback and I appreaiate you taking the time

LOL

Reactions: jackeymoon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
FUNNY
I had enough on Melnick's music hour. So I emailed Chris Bury program director at 690.
Told him amazing , so many stations have good guests, and 690 let's melnick play music, who cares.
a nice email I wrote, with lot's more examples for stations that do better job as a sports station.

he answered, with for your feedback and I appreaiate you taking the time

LOL
Essentially, they gave you a generic response (non-confrontational brush off form letter no. F12.7) and Chris Buried your comment.

I hope you signed your email as « Mr. Peabody. »

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I listened to Tony's post game sick podcast and he basically ripped TSN 690.
He said that eventually he is going to talk and spill all the beans.
Without really saying it, he said what was good for some wasn't good for all (Almost certain he was referring to Campbell and Gallo pathetic podcast that they are allowed to keep)

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
(Almost certain he was referring to Campbell and Gallo pathetic podcast that they are allowed to keep)
I mean, does anyone else even work at the station other than Melnick (who just blathers with his cohosts and plays music) and McKenna? How else could they give time on air?

And, by the way, that's absolutely an indictment of the station.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Looks like Mike Johnson is calling leafs games now, year of change continues for everything Montreal Canadiens. Shame, he was good to listen too.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Without really saying it, he said what was good for some wasn't good for all (Almost certain he was referring to Campbell and Gallo pathetic podcast that they are allowed to keep)
Tony should be grateful for the opportunity he got at 690 in what is a dead end market for English language radio.

He got almost a 20 year career out of 690, that’s a great run. He wouldn’t be where he is now without them.

He’s doing better for himself now with his gigs at Spanre, BPM and his podcast — why not just focus on the positive and keep raking rather than engage in a petty payback scheme against his prior employer?

The media industry is a small world as it is, and smaller still in the Anglo market. Why burn bridges?

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A lot of people seem to have left there

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Over-under when TSN690 gets shut down?
Once Mitch Melnick announces his retirement, I say 12-30 months

Further proof, there’s simply no profitable market for English sports radio in Mtl

Even though I haven’t lived there in many years, really saddens me as a Mtl’er to the core, what’s happened to my hometown

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tony should be grateful for the opportunity he got at 690 in what is a dead end market for English language radio.

He got almost a 20 year career out of 690, that’s a great run. He wouldn’t be where he is now without them.

He’s doing better for himself now with his gigs at Spanre, BPM and his podcast — why not just focus on the positive and keep raking rather than engage in a petty payback scheme against his prior employer?

The media industry is a small world as it is, and smaller still in the Anglo market. Why burn bridges?
because Tony can't keep his mouth shut

Further proof, there’s simply no profitable market for English sports radio in Mtl

Even though I haven’t lived there in many years, really saddens me as a Mtl’er to the core, what’s happened to my hometown
melnick is a clown, he needs to go

melnick is a clown, he needs to go

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From reading the comments under the tweet it appears to be the same in Toronto and in Calgary as well it seems, if these comments are indeed accurate. :dunno:
Like one of the user comments suggested, you might as well just get your PxP from fans with a subscription.

I could see a PxP crew of you and @OldCraig71 and have @WeThreeKings doing color. Sign me up for that over the disasters Bell is multiplying.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Like one of the user comments suggested, you might as well just get your PxP from fans with a subscription.

I could see a PxP crew of you and @OldCraig71 and have @WeThreeKings doing color. Sign me up for that over the disasters Bell is multiplying.

"McDavid grabs the puck and absolutely makes a cuckold out of the defense. Terrible goaltending by Murray once again and it's 4-0 Oilers."

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

Tony is an idiot if he doesn't understand the difference. The Campbell and Gallo podcast was obviously a side project that was in no competition with Bell Media. They represented themselves as TSN690 employees and it was obviously just a complement to their radio work. The "Sick Podcast" is not just a Tony thing, there is a whole portfolio of shows under that "brand". They sell advertising and are obviously not doing it as a side-gig, they want people to spend their time listening to their products rather than spending time listening to traditional radio like Bell Media.

No matter what you think of the quality of either Campbell/Gallo, Marinaro or Bell Media in general, it's clear that one is in competition with the objectives of Bell Media and one isn't. Bell wasn't going to pay Tony while he was helping another media company developing products to take listeners away from them. It's very very basic stuff.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@sampollock makes me laugh way more than I want to admit, and his own consistent brand of posting is an art form you come to love. Here’s to you Sam!
His posting has a particular flavor, which makes it unique and recognizable.

He’s also come up with some of the best monikers on this forum with Nostrils, Mr. Peabody, Figs and the concept of Fig-wetting. :laugh:

I wonder what @sampollock will come up with if Nostrils or Mr. Peabody are no longer Figs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad