TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RBZ

Jun 24, 2013
John Lu couldn’t break a hurricane if he was standing in one. The guy truly adding nothing to his broadcasts. Imagine being called a reporter and not actually saying anything.

Reactions: ReHabs

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
I never thought I would miss Fat Tony, but man... the afternoon is so freaking dull without his annoying voice.

I don't know who does the hiring on TSN690 but they need to be fired. Are there seriously no young peope out there with an ounce of personality that they can hire? They can't get someone from the podcast or youtube space?
110% its painful. I can't stand the leftovers. I like Star and Melnick but that's it. You can tell the station is on its last legs, and everyone is holding their breath hoping Melnick doesn't retire; once he's done, I think that station gets blended into CJAD or something.

Reactions: jackeymoon

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Haven't seen a lot of this dude but vibe comes across 'aggressive cringe' imo

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Runner77

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
John Lu couldn’t break a hurricane if he was standing in one. The guy truly adding nothing to his broadcasts. Imagine being called a reporter and not actually saying anything.
I used to obsessively consume all the English media but Lu proved to be the most pointless one. Eric Engels and Arpon Basu are both imperfect but at least they frigging try to offer something by using their access to the team/players.

I can’t imagine anyone gleaning anything from John Lu and Stu Cowan that they couldn’t get from looking at a box score before and after a game.

Reactions: RBZ

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
110% its painful. I can't stand the leftovers. I like Star and Melnick but that's it. You can tell the station is on its last legs, and everyone is holding their breath hoping Melnick doesn't retire; once he's done, I think that station gets blended into CJAD or something.
I think Melnick has a lot to do with these atrocious successors he’s been so overtly pushing at the station. Ted Blackman must be turning in his grave watching these student radio level turds lay claim to jobs that someone of their ilk could have never hoped to attain 2-3 decades ago.

No way the station survives with this overwhelmingly atrocious talent level.

By way of example, Dave Trentadue used to be a salesman at Canadian Tire and one day he decided he wanted a job at 690 and they gave him one. Trentadue can’t put two sentences together and can induce sleep as he’s formulating a third. And yet, there is no one to fire his ass.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This is atrocious AF! Anyone watch this?

Kevin Raphael is on the same level of cringe as Dumont, he just makes people uncomfortable and can’t create any moments of entertainment without sounding like a hopeless child.

Fire his ass immediately, this is supposed to be the big leagues not amateur hour. Habs should use some of that RBC ad money to hire people with real talent. Raphael is a hack.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

Bullcrap like this make the Habs look like a 3rd rate organization. I am guessing this is Chantal's way of getting close to the fans. Since the product itself has sucked ( getting better) I guess they have to resort to this clown act.

Not as classy as we used to be , are we ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bullcrap like this make the Habs look like a 3rd rate organization. I am guessing this is Chantal's way of getting close to the fans. Since the product itself has sucked ( getting better) I guess they have to resort to this clown act.

Not as classy as we used to be , are we ?
I don’t know who is responsible for any of this cringe amateur hour garbage but it can’t be that the Habs are not aware of better options.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Well he could’ve shared some of his insight with his viewers and listeners sometimes. Being their private therapist is cool too but us Habs fans never got a whiff of anything from Lu.

He was the Michael Whalen of this era.... Pretty much the same style (although I liked Whalen more).

Sticking to the facts, and resisting on the tabloid side of things.

In his specific role, I didn't really expect much else.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com

I guess this is the "Creative Differences" direction that Habs marketing was alluding to. What a tire fire.

Someone should be fired for this fiasco; I watched the Twitch stream and had to wait for the recording, just so I could skip the host, and try and listen to the players, but when you listen to their answers, all I heard was PAIN.

With so much talent in Montreal, and so much cash available to the Canadiens, why not hire someone competent in those role? Jets have poached Dan Robertson and John Lu, why not poach someone elsewhere? It's not rocket science.

I can't watch any of their "Content" with that bafoon.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This is atrocious AF! Anyone watch this?

Kevin Raphael is on the same level of cringe as Dumont, he just makes people uncomfortable and can’t create any moments of entertainment without sounding like a hopeless child.

Fire his ass immediately, this is supposed to be the big leagues not amateur hour. Habs should use some of that RBC ad money to hire people with real talent. Raphael is a hack.
What an embarrassment. I can't believe they put our captain through that and now it's on social media for the public to view. Imagine if they tried that shit with former captains like Gainey or Beliveau.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
He was the Michael Whalen of this era.... Pretty much the same style (although I liked Whalen more).

Yeah, it's basically what TSN correspondents covering their respective local areas are mandated to do. Summarize what's happening on the local sports scene (not just hockey), provide highlights, do a few interviews, stay out of the gutter etc. The same goes for Farhan Lalji in Vancouver, Ryan Rishaug in Edmonton, Mark Masters in Toronto, Sarah Orlevsky in Winnipeg (where Lu's going), Brent Wallace in Ottawa when he was employed by TSN.

TSN has a team of hockey insiders to provide all the juicy scoops as well as a team of analysts to discuss more detailed implications of news provided by local correspondents. I much prefer TSN's television coverage over Sportsnet. TSN 690 radio is another story altogether.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I guess this is the "Creative Differences" direction that Habs marketing was alluding to. What a tire fire.

Someone should be fired for this fiasco; I watched the Twitch stream and had to wait for the recording, just so I could skip the host, and try and listen to the players, but when you listen to their answers, all I heard was PAIN.

With so much talent in Montreal, and so much cash available to the Canadiens, why not hire someone competent in those role? Jets have poached Dan Robertson and John Lu, why not poach someone elsewhere? It's not rocket science.

I can't watch any of their "Content" with that bafoon.
There has been a number of questionable social media moves the Habs have made. Hiring this new guy is probably #1 for me. There is cringe and there is unwatchable and that Suzuki video is unwatchable.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I wonder who will replace Lu. Pretty big shoes to fill.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I wonder who will replace Lu. Pretty big shoes to fill.

Sean Campbell. :laugh:

They had Arpon on the same TSN SportsCentre episode where Lu made his announcement. Not sure if there's any chance he gets the job.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Sean Campbell. :laugh:

Lol, he does everything else, why not that too? SC on TSN won't stand for SportsCentre anymore, it will stand for Sean Campbell.

I'm not going to be starting a Campbell Fan Club any time soon but I at least hope they are paying him well for all that he does. Als play-by-play, daily radio show, Habs play-by-play, 'Als This Week' Weekly Show, substitutes for most of the rest of the shows when people are away.... No matter what you think of the guy, he's basically given all his time to Bell Media, a massive corporation. They are saving big on payroll with all the people they've jettisoned recently so they should be shuffling a healthy amount to Campbell if they are going to be keeping him on the payroll.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Lol, he does everything else, why not that too? SC on TSN won't stand for SportsCentre anymore, it will stand for Sean Campbell.

I'm not going to be starting a Campbell Fan Club any time soon but I at least hope they are paying him well for all that he does. Als play-by-play, daily radio show, Habs play-by-play, 'Als This Week' Weekly Show, substitutes for most of the rest of the shows when people are away.... No matter what you think of the guy, he's basically given all his time to Bell Media, a massive corporation. They are saving big on payroll with all the people they've jettisoned recently so they should be shuffling a healthy amount to Campbell if they are going to be keeping him on the payroll.
I wonder if he has a cot in the building?

1664396415975.png

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com

150% Agree with this. Sean is a hustler and while he's got his hands in every pot, I think it's by Bell's design. Rather than support the station and increase listenership with talent, content, etc... they continue cutting from within until there's nothing left. Campbell is at least not a brutal monotone drone when he speaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad