TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He worked hard to be where he is. A generation X hero.
I don’t know that he’s a “hero” — that’s a loaded word that you generally see being used for individuals who put their lives at risk for others but he has definitely shown that he was able to overcome a lot of challenges thanks to an unrelenting work ethic.

It’s also to his credit that he honoured all the debts he contracted and that he wasn’t afraid to tackle so many random jobs until he was able to make a living at something he is passionate about.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Follow the money?

Meantime, his departure is leaving behind the spectre of a trash option like Campbell becoming his replacement.
There simply isn’t an English market for Mtl radio anymore, law of supply & demand means Robertson will make significantly more $ in any CDN hockey market outside of Quebec deploying his talents… the sad reality.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There simply isn’t an English market for Mtl radio anymore, law of supply & demand means Robertson will make significantly more $ in any CDN hockey market outside of Quebec deploying his talents… the sad reality.
We can readily see the fallout from the lack of spending on 690. A bunch of interns, part timers, low level annoying sorts who spend half the time making station identifications and repeating their own names.

And quizzing each other with lame questions.

Where your equation is not holding up is how Bell, that also owns CJAD, has much better and experienced broadcasters on air even on weekends. The low anglo listenership theory is apparently not at issue over there — the payroll allocated to CJAD must easily beat 690’s amateurs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We can readily see the fallout from the lack of spending on 690. A bunch of interns, part timers, low level annoying sorts who spend half the time making station identifications and repeating their own names.

And quizzing each other with lame questions.

Where your equation is not holding up is how Bell, that also owns CJAD, has much better and experienced broadcasters on air even on weekends. The low anglo listenership theory is apparently not at issue over there — the payroll allocated to CJAD must easily beat 690’s amateurs.
Simply Demographics… CJAD audience is an older Anglo audience that’s not attracted by all sports content, which tends to go after younger populace of whom there just isn’t a large enough anglos base to draw from.

I expect Bell will either shutdown or sell off CJAD within next 5-10 years as their key demographic will start dying off…

Add to this spiders web, Mtl simply isn’t a sports town, which is what all sports radio depends on except for francophone radio for Habs talk, which can draw from the entire province (6M) vs simply Mtl (3M)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Simply Demographics… CJAD audience is an older Anglo audience that’s not attracted by all sports content, which tends to go after younger populace of whom there just isn’t a large enough anglos base to draw from.

I expect Bell will either shutdown or sell off CJAD within next 5-10 years as their key demographic will start dying off…

Add to this spiders web, Mtl simply isn’t a sports town, which is what all sports radio depends on except for francophone radio for Habs talk, which can draw from the entire province (6M) vs simply Mtl (3M)
I don’t know about the younger audience theory for 690. Whenever there are callers it’s a mixed bag, you have a lot of lifelong Hab fans from all demographics.

Montreal may not be an all out sports town like where you live in the US (ya lucky bahstid!) but they’re a rabid Habs city every day of the year, enough to sustain a multiplicity of sports shows on a multitude of platforms. There is money spent on it and rabid fans to consume it.

Bell’s strategy of streamlining their sports radio broadcasting with the mass layoffs we saw in the last year and some stations closed altogether and mostly only operating those that held NHL broadcasting rights, may have something to do with it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And not surprisingly, Campbell appointed as the official successor to Robertson.

Campbell flanked by two other interns turned broadcasters, Gallo and Still.

This is the end of listening to Habs games on 690 for me. The seasoned pros are at 98.5 FM, so it’ll be an easy transition.

Reactions: jaffy27 and McGees

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre McGuire back on 690, at 5:35 this aft.

Don’t know if it’s a one-off or the resumption of his once regular weekday gig.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
And not surprisingly, Campbell appointed as the official successor to Robertson.

This is the end of listening to Habs games on 690 for me. The seasoned pros are at 98.5 FM, so it’ll be an easy transition.
Haha, not just for exhibition???!!!!

I’m so weaned from them now so that I only listen to Melnick once or twice a week. I had a soft spot for Stil that went away fast as I realized he knows nothing about most sports. And Andie is annoying, always seeking someone to agree with or justify her personal, first world stances.

And that’s their good show.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Seriously? Well f**k that.. Was hoping he was only filling in during the pre season games until they found someone else to replace Dan.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Pierre McGuire back on 690, at 5:35 this aft.

Don’t know if it’s a one-off or a resumption of his once regular weekday gig.
Hoping it's a daily thing. Listening to Ward daily, Johnson on Tues and Thurs and Miller on Wed on Melnick's show is pretty much the only things I have left to listen to on 690 these days.

I did though listen to a bit of the Pagnotta segment with Gallo and Still today, who BTW looks nothing like I had envisioned just by hearing his voice (Still) on the radio. Not really sure what I was expecting but it wasn't that when I saw the picture of him, Melnick, and Andie from a recent Cowan article in the Gazette. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seriously? Well f**k that.. Was hoping he was only filling in during the pre season games until they found someone else to replace Dan.
I heard Melnick say that it was official.

Some people are probably going to pull a Huberdeau and let these turds have a parting f*** you.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I heard Melnick say that it was official.

Some people are probably going to pull a Huberdeau and let these turds have a parting f*** you.
Well damn. So is that it for the new Gallo vs Campbell show already? Lots of changes in 2022 over at 690 and none of it has been good other than Andie coming back, who I do like listening to.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well damn. So is that it for the new Gallo vs Campbell show already? Lots of changes in 2022 over at 690 and none of it has been good other than Andie coming back, who I do like listening to.
Andie is pleasant but lacks substance. Hopefully she’ll be better.

Reactions: sheed36

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Oh NOOOOOO :eek3:

Well, looks like I will be listening to ZERO games on the radio.

Sean Campbell is the absolute WORST

I can’t believe they’ve promoted him. This station is stripping themselves of whatever talent they’ve had.

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You didn't know he left TSN690 to go be the pxp for the Jets?
No clue……seeing Dan calling the Jets game left me perplexed…like I was telling myself maybe he was gonna be doing both teams but quickly realized that that was impossible.

And now Runner just mentioned Campbell is replacing him!!???

That’s like us trading Suzuki for Corey Locke.

I’m massively disappointed

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dom Ducharme daily segment on 91.9...
IMG_20220512_143855.jpg

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I told you guys within the first hour than Dan left they would give the job to Campbell, what a joke of a station.
Has anyone listened to his Rocket play by play? He’s terrible, not saying I would be better, but it’s not my job to be better, I am good at my job. He simply is not good at his

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Soon as I heard¸...Ì told ya...`on Melnick`s show today, knew someone was back.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

un-f***ing-believable. amateur hour garbage continues and our collective nightmare has actualized

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad