Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Raffl is standing straight up barely moving and slightly turned. Timo is skating very fast into the zone, crouched down and leaning forward. If this is your comparable you are either trolling or have never actually played contact hockey.
1683038699768.png

Like he's standing for the pre-game anthem...

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

For all "the how could Trouba possibly have hit anything but Meier's head" folks in here. Meier and Raffl are the same height and Seider is taller than Trouba. Mo could have easily delivered shoulder to face a la Trouba had he wanted to. He chose not to and still blew up Raffl.

Is this a joke? Trouba was skating from Right to Left. Timo is leaning down towards his left. What an awful comparison.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

For all "the how could Trouba possibly have hit anything but Meier's head" folks in here. Meier and Raffl are the same height and Seider is taller than Trouba. Mo could have easily delivered shoulder to face a la Trouba had he wanted to. He chose not to and still blew up Raffl.

I completely agree! The example hit you showcased is just as exciting for a hockey fan too! The only difference is I can cheer for a hit like that with a guilt-free conscience.

Hockey is and should be a very physical sport. And it goes without saying that you will wear opposing players down and injuries will be part of the game. But concussions? They are unecessary and the league needs to do its part fo the players to fall in line when it comes to predatory, dangerous hits like that.

I am amazed that over 20 years after we have started talking about the danger of concussions and how the brain works and heals, people are still playing dumb and blabbering "keep yerhead up dur dur".

Reactions: norrisnick

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Raffl is standing straight up barely moving and slightly turned. Timo is skating very fast into the zone, crouched down and leaning forward. If this is your comparable you are either trolling or have never actually played contact hockey.

norrisnick is the Wings' board contrarian. Once he sets his take, he will never stop arguing it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Such a manly post. Only feeding on meat and real milk, like a real man!

You also missed a golden opportunity to call us snowflakes.

I bet you own one of those lifted pickup trucks to compensate for the lack of size…
I don't drink milk. And I drive an Accord.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Second clip in the Op .. his is looking up/forward but his head position is lowered/hunched down

Lotta head with head being initial and principle point of contact. He had to go through the head to get to chest here, Timo head lowered doesnt help the situation

Ive given up on head hits. I just assume the DOPS doesnt do anything unless its all head + injury + team PR faux outrage.

The DoPS is mostly a joke but by rule 48.1 this is a legal hit.

I can understand not liking the hit but in this case your issue is with the NHL rulebook, not the DoPS

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Is this a joke? Trouba was skating from Right to Left. Timo is leaning down towards his left. What an awful comparison.
Don't forget that Raffl is a Star and Meier is a Devil. Also a key distinction between the clips.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Not the same, didn’t grow up playing contact hockey I guess. Raffl isn’t bent over the same.

Reactions: waitin425

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The DoPS is mostly a joke but by rule 48.1 this is a legal hit.

I can understand not liking the hit but in this case your issue is with the NHL rulebook, not the DoPS
Key words in 48.1 is avoidable/unavoidable.

Intent is a tricky thing, but Trouba knew exactly what he was doing and could have avoided blowing up Meier's head. He didn't want to.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Don't forget that Raffl is a Star and Meier is a Devil. Also a key distinction between the clips.
The teams they play for has nothing to do with the hit.

Fact is, if Timo doesn't put himself in that position, Trouba's hit doesn't make contact with his head. Anyone who has played or watched hockey for some time knows how important it is to keep your head up. This is one of the first things they tell you as kids when you start playing the game.

There was no penalty. There is no suspension. It's a clean hit. Stop whining.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not the same, didn’t grow up playing contact hockey I guess. Raffl isn’t bent over the same.
That's because Raffl and Meier are two different players. That doesn't allow two different plays involving them to be identical. But keep getting hung up on slight differences.

The teams they play for has nothing to do with the hit.

Fact is, if Timo doesn't put himself in that position, Trouba's hit doesn't make contact with his head. Anyone who has played or watched hockey for some time knows how important it is to keep your head up. This is one of the first things they tell you as kids when you start playing the game.

There was no penalty. There is no suspension. It's a clean hit. Stop whining.
Again. Legal(ish). Not clean.

And shouldn't be legal.

So, no.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Intent is a tricky thing, but Trouba knew exactly what he was doing and could have avoided blowing up Meier's head. He didn't want to.

I believe that is an incorrect interpretation of avoidable/unavoidable.

You're taking it as head contact is avoidable if Trouba chooses not to make the hit. Whereas the intent of the rule assumes that the hit IS going to be made and, in such a case, if head contact is unavoidable due to the position of the player being hit, it absolves the hitting player of responsibility.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Intent is nowhere in the rule. I think Trouba overall is a dirty player but this is a legal hit. He hit squarely through the opponents body.

I don't see how he avoids head contact other than not throw the hit.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 7.53.19 AM.png

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head –
A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That's because Raffl and Meier are two different players. That doesn't allow two different plays involving them to be identical. But keep getting hung up on slight differences.

Again. Legal(ish). Not clean.

And shouldn't be legal.

So, no.
It’s 100% legal. Which means it’s a clean hit. Do you ever tire of being wrong, but still arguing? Lmao.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Replace Trouba with a brick wall and Timo still ends up in the same situation. It's not Trouba's job to bend his knees to accommodate a player skating with his head down.
Yes, it is. It's a players' job to respect the rules. It's his job, for instance, to ram a guy who is turned away into the boards
I still remember a hit thrown by Jason Doig many years ago against Lindros, who was skating along the boards with his head down. You can hear the players on the bench screaming heads up. Lindros got demolished that play and it was 100% on him for putting himself in that position.
It is ironic that you would use a hit on Eric Lindros as an example of how things should work.

Lindros is one of the poster childI for what was wrong with the league back then! The rules back then were wrong, the mentality of the players was terrible, the medical staff and management was ruthless and careless too.

Not only were his injuries terrible from a human standpoint, but even if we consider the self-interest of fans... what's the point in being deprived of peak talents like Lindros and Kariya? Like, what do we actually gain from the best players becoming shadows of their former selves after a few hits?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I believe that is an incorrect interpretation of avoidable/unavoidable.

You're taking it as head contact is avoidable if Trouba chooses not to make the hit. Whereas the intent of the rule assumes that hit IS going to be made and, in such a case, if head contact is unavoidable due to the position of the player being hit, it absolves the hitting player of responsibility.
Nope. Trouba chose to go high. He just as easily could have turned his body and braced his hip for the impact point rather than the shoulder.

Intent is nowhere in the rule. I think Trouba overall is a dirty player but this is a legal hit. He hit squarely through the opponents body.

I don't see how he avoids head contact other than not throw the hit.

View attachment 701638

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head –
A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.
Hits aren't made exclusively with the shoulder.

I'm baffled that all these life-long beerleaguers are just now being made aware of a hipcheck...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wouldn't argue with someone saying that was predatory but you can't come across the blue line with the puck and tuck your head down and think you're not going to get hit. If it were the case everyone would do it whenever it was convenient for them. Bodychecking is still legal and players are taught awareness to hits coming like that for a reason. I don't think there should be a penalty and I wouldn't want the rule here to change. I'd rather players who should know better (like Meier) wouldn't put themselves in such vulnerable positions at all. It's a lesson for him to learn from. Be aware of where you are at all times

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Differences
Bunting leaves feet
Meier has the puck, Cernak not close to puck
Bunting throws his elbow, Trouba’s is well tucked.
Bunting hits only face, Trouba hits face as he hits right through the body.

Seems like your not good at comparing hits.

- 0:58 Cernak not looking at Bunting and as you can plainly see he skates into Bunting leading with his head down. If he doesn't go so low he doesn't get clipped in the head. At 0:59 Cernak is at the middle of the goalie net and at 1:00 he's clearly past the right goal post. So yeah Cernak SKATED INTO Bunting.

- You can CLEARLY see from this angle that Bunting's elbow is tucked in BEFORE AND DURING the hit and only leaves his side AFTER the hit.

- Bunting's feet barely leaves the ice even during impact. I don't know why people argue about players 'leaving their feet' or 'jumping into a hit' makes any sense when you LOSE POWER trying to do such an unnatural move while trying to hit someone when the most natural thing to do is to keep your feet planted on the ice to generate maximum power while hitting.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wouldn't argue with someone saying that was predatory but you can't come across the blue line with the puck and tuck your head down and think you're not going to get hit. If it were the case everyone would do it whenever it was convenient for them. Bodychecking is still legal and players are taught awareness to hits coming like that for a reason. I don't think there should be a penalty and I wouldn't want the rule here to change. I'd rather players who should know better (like Meier) wouldn't put themselves in such vulnerable positions at all. It's a lesson for him to learn from. Be aware of where you are at all times
Head trauma makes that tricky. That's why it's better that the hitter learn that lesson.

Reactions: Czechboy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Any of them? Trouba squaring up and bracing as high as possible is a choice he made. To say hitting anything but the head is impossible is fantasy.
Hahaha...now I know you're trolling....

Hit #1. Elbow to head

Hit #2. Almost identical to the Timo hit, except probably more elbow by Blake here.

Hit #3. Hip/Ass check by Black. But not coming at opponent straight on. Its a closing the distance kind of check bouncing a player off the puck. Assuming Trouba could have turned complete around and hit him with his ass, it probably still would have contacted Timos head from straight on.

Hit #4 - closest comparable. 82 for Pitts entering zone. Pause just before impact though....that player is finishing their turn and sitting stright up. Head up. Blake comes in like a missile and nearly misses him because he goes for the ass check. That ass check would have also hit Timo's head. Still slightly different angles.

Hit #5 - Clean hit defender standing stright up

I think you get the point.....I hope anyways.

Stop trying to spin this. It was clean. Plain and simple. The only other choice for Trouba was to avoid the hit all together due to Timo's vulnerability. Timo's vulnerability was his own doing.

View attachment 701635

Like he's standing for the pre-game anthem...
hahahah....c'mon man!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nope. Trouba chose to go high. He just as easily could have turned his body and braced his hip for the impact point rather than the shoulder.

Hits aren't made exclusively with the shoulder.

I'm baffled that all these life-long beerleaguers are just now being made aware of a hipcheck...
Tell me how Trouba is hitting Meier with a hip check based on that above still frame without taking a knee on knee?

There would've been a thread regardless lol

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I've seen enough of these threads this year to realize they really need to change that rule. These hits need to be out of the game. That was head first and broke his face. The fact he didn't jump doesn't change that it was head first. The fact his shoulder was tucked doesn't change that it was head first. BUT, the NHL rule seems to imply it's okay to hit head first under circumstances like this.

I know. I know.. go watch tennis or womens softball, keep your head up, his soul left his body.. blah blah blah. I'll concede it was legal by the rules but the rule needs to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad