Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
A cardinal rule in hockey is don’t skate through the middle with your head down. Head contact was unavoidable there unless Trouba opted to not hit Meier altogether.
His head wasn't down, it was up! Yes, protect yourself but at some point if the league is serious about reducing concussions, these hits probably need to stop. Trouba is out there to hurt guys with his hits.

These types of hits are illegal in USA hockey now, as there is no attempt to play the puck. They decided to protect players they needed to start eliminating hits that are meant to punish or intimidate an opponent or where there is no effort to win possession of the puck.

Reactions: Svechhammer

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
It could be a year, it could be 10, but it's only a matter of time until this happens. Technology will likely never be able to mitigate the chance of concussion or similar injury, and there will be a point at which the risk of injury and liability will no longer be worth the perceived benefit of this type of hitting.
And that will be the death knell for the NHL. There’s a reason all star games suck.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We have the exact same discussion after every time Trouba throws a big hit. The hits are clean by the rules. Should they be legal though? That's the question that needs to be asked. As long as they are, no-one should have a problem with them.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
We have the exact same discussion after every time Trouba throws a big hit. The hits are clean by the rules. Should they be legal though? That's the question that needs to be asked. As long as they are, no-one should have a problem with them.
Yes, 100%. Unless u wanna ban hitting. Just because its a big hit where a guy falls doesnt make it dirty or predatory.

The onus is on the forward to keep his head up

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's so odd to watch Trouba just try to injure everyone every post-season. You can tell from his behavior that his strategy is to just injure members of his opponents' team until his team can overcome them.

Like Andrew Shaw, I think he's one of those guys who will look back on his career with shame and regret as he continually tried to scramble his opponents brains because of a literal game. Maybe he'll be 40, maybe he'll be 50. But eventually he'll start understand what every other sane person knows about concussions, and reason that his predation is literally destroying peoples' brains.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
changing the rules to what some people want would encourage players to play the puck hunched over like that, creating almost an immunity to getting hit. players are too smart to not figure that out. In the case with this hit, this was the only way to hit meier without going low which is an issue itself.

I think people are forgetting that, in theory, these hits are psychological as well as physical. It’s by design to instill fear in the opposition, that maybe next time he enters the zone, that he spends an extra second to make sure Trouba or whoever isn’t there and he ends up not making the best possible play. Also, these hits wear players down for future series. This is all in theory of course.

I think the rule is fine as is and players need to be more responsible with their body position and to learn to make business decisions. if the puck is caught in your skate, either try and get it and take the hit or get out of the way. we shouldn’t reward players for having their bodies out of their natural positions. Unless you want to allow players to hit waist level and below, that’s going to happen when your head is near parallel with your chest.

The IIHF is a far inferior product. We don’t need the game to be neutered further.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
It's so odd to watch Trouba just try to injure everyone every post-season. You can tell from his behavior that his strategy is to just injure members of his opponents' team until his team can overcome them.

Like Andrew Shaw, I think he's one of those guys who will look back on his career with shame and regret as he continually tried to scramble his opponents brains because of a literal game. Maybe he'll be 40, maybe he'll be 50. But eventually he'll start understand what every other sane person knows about concussions, and reason that his predation is literally destroying peoples' brains.
So what are you saying he should do? Just let meier walk in with his head down?

Why arent the forwards to blame for skating with their heads down? Theyre lucky hes delivering clean hits

Further, meier’s landing on igors leg intentionally was 10X dirtier than this. And when meier keeps trying to go at your goalie but then has glue in his gloves when hes asked to go, when you can line him up, you nail him. Meier is a moron for skating with his head down into 4 players

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
There should be a duty of care to protect the head.

Even if the skater is skating slouched with his head down.

Under the current rules the hit was 'legal' but they should change the rules going forward. Automatic penalty if a hit is made to the head of an opposing player, whether it was intentional or accident.

It quite weird high sticking is called immediately whether the contact by stick was quite minor or not but a hit like Trouba is deemed OK.
This BS will completely eliminate open ice hits. It’s beyond ridiculous. I said this in another thread- if you’re coming straight at me, hunched forward with your head down and carrying the puck, exactly how am I supposed to hit you? I guess you’d rather have people low bridging because they’re too afraid of suspensions and fines because they hit someone who was legally able to be hit. Oh yeah, this is also in a split second with closing speeds of vlose to 30 mph.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yes, 100%. Unless u wanna ban hitting. Just because its a big hit where a guy falls doesnt make it dirty or predatory.

The onus is on the forward to keep his head up
Well I would say it's a predatory hit, but predatory hits happen to be legal by the rules as they stand. I understand if people don't like those hits, or if players want to take exception to those. But every time they happen there are people who lose their minds on how Trouba should somehow be penalized for what are deemed absolutely clean by the book.

Hate the game, not the player.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
There should be a duty of care to protect the head.

Even if the skater is skating slouched with his head down.

Under the current rules the hit was 'legal' but they should change the rules going forward. Automatic penalty if a hit is made to the head of an opposing player, whether it was intentional or accident.

It quite weird high sticking is called immediately whether the contact by stick was quite minor or not but a hit like Trouba is deemed OK.
So then just skate hunched over the puck through the neutral zone and everyone has to get out of the way? LOL. Come on man. The online crowd of people who arent familiar with the sport will ruin this game advocating for things like this. Its already an inferior product to just 15 years ago, it doesnt need to get worse

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Directly to the head? Correct.

Had Trouba wanted to he could have blown Meier up without hitting him in the head. He didn't want to.
Honest question....if this hit is not clean, purely by the fact that it contacts the head....what is stopping players from skating around hunched over with their head down for their careers?

This is a clean and legal hit....100%.

The only other option is to make hitting illegal. This is on Timo to keep his head up.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Honest question....if this hit is not clean, purely by the fact that it contacts the head....what is stopping players from skating around hunched over with their head down for their careers?

This is a clean and legal hit....100%.

The only other option is to make hitting illegal. This is on Timo to keep his head up.
Hipchecks and not being able to see anything?

Trouba could have caved in Meier's solar plexus/sternum. He chose to cave in his forehead instead. That's a choice Trouba made. And a choice that is exponentially more damaging. And a choice that should be taken away from him given what the league fully knows (but denies) about head trauma.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I have to disagree with this assessment.
Second clip in the Op .. his is looking up/forward but his head position is lowered/hunched down

Lotta head with head being initial and principle point of contact. He had to go through the head to get to chest here, Timo head lowered doesnt help the situation

Ive given up on head hits. I just assume the DOPS doesnt do anything unless its all head + injury + team PR faux outrage.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Trouba demolishes Timo's head. His head was going to be destroyued regardless if he glances at the puck or not. Trouba could've ducked down further or slightly hit him less square so the principal point of contact would not have been his head.

Of course, players sometimes put themselves in vulnerable positions, but the onus should be on the hitter to have some sort of perception of a players position and to change the area of impact and or force accordingly.

If the NHL continues to allow hits to the head they leave themselves exposed to lawsuits in the future.

Whats even more concerning is that after Timo was literally KO'd and unable to move for a few seconds he was still allowed to play.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Massive clean hit. However, I’m very surprised that nobody decided to challenge Trouba and stand up for Meier. The Devils are incredibly soft, and it’s fair game to injure their players.
NJD had the lead in a game 7. If that were NYR on the receiving end in the same situation, I would be screaming at any player getting involved. They absolutely made the right call. Trouba is trying to get some momentum for his team down in an elimination game. On the receiving end, I don't want my team responding and potentially giving up a powerplay goal or momentum that the other team is seeking. As a NYR fan, I can't call NJD soft in that position. It was the smarter move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad