Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
BS the player safety explains on several occasions that if a head hit can be avoided(rule) and gave several suspensions over the years for several different occasion that were way lesser than this. This is ridiculous Meier doesn't even change where his head is before Trouba was lined up.

You can’t avoid the head in the Meier hit. There’s no other way to hit the center of his body.

It’s a legal hit based on the same rule you’re citing.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I’d love to see how the “Keep your head up crowd” would react to receiving a hit like this. The pseudo tough guy acts from people involved with hockey are embarrassing. This is straight through Meier’s head and it’s absolutely disgusting
Ya I'd be mad....mad at myself that I did everything in my power to put myself in a bad spot. Trouba didn't jump and had arms down, Timo slouched over and put his own head into troubas shoulders..clean hit

Reactions: Mint Berry Crunch

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I get Scott Stevens vibes from this, which in a way is ironic thinking of which team took the hit.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
One of the many problems I have:

A few here saying the Devils did nothing after this hit. Well that’s what the league is wants and it’s a problem they are going to have to fix.

What if the Devils retaliate or go after Trouba? The rules are set up where you’ll have Devils thrown out of the game and you’re giving the Rangers endless power plays in a game 7 down 2-0.

You’ve got a guy known for throwing hits that injure people and you’ve got rules set up so no one can do anything about it. End result is a star player possibly injured by a guy who has a tee time tomorrow.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Devils made the correct choice. Best revenge is closing out that game and series.

I'm certain the response would be different if it weren't a game 7.
They played against the Rangers. They would have closed the game and the series anyway.

However, they won’t close any more series if they continue letting the opponent take out their star players without any consequences.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One of the many problems I have:

A few here saying the Devils did nothing after this hit. Well that’s what the league is wants and it’s a problem they are going to have to fix.

What if the Devils retaliate or go after Trouba? The rules are set up where you’ll have Devils thrown out of the game and you’re giving the Rangers endless power plays in a game 7 down 2-0.

You’ve got a guy known for throwing hits that injure people and you’ve got rules set up so no one can do anything about it. End result is a star player possibly injured by a guy who has a tee time tomorrow.

In other times, people would say "get a name, get a number" and make sure to pay the guy back in the future.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Clean hit. Made contact with the head first but Meier put himself in a poor spot reaching for the puck. Very predatory and I wouldnt like it if I were a Devils fan but it’s clean.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Well if you're gonna send a message, no better time than the 7th game of the series, in the 3rd period, down 2-0, and laying out the guy with 0 points in the series.
If you gonna message, that's kind of the last chance saloon for it.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I guess it's a legal hit but it shouldn't be. Just because someone has his head down should not make it legal to hit them in the head. They are gonna change the rules soon I bet.

You also cant have guys skating into the offensive zone, directly in the center of the ice.. with the puck... with absolutely no instinct of self preservation. Not saying its not a dangerous play but you cant deflect all the responsibility to the defense. It is clean IMO, and one of the most violent hits I can remember in years.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
literally the only thing Trouba did all series and he waited until the game was decided in game 7. Him and Meier seemed chummy in the handshake line which is why hockey is just the best sport in the world, but man, Trouba is such an embarrassing captain.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
That this is seen as legal just highlights what a joke the NHL is, especially the Department of Player Safety. Hits like this need to be eliminated. They are incredibly dangerous and unnecessary. I don't expect anything to change though because the NHL does not care one whit for player safety. The entire department is about bending over backwards to be 'fair' to the predators in the game instead of actually being concerned for player safety. Just a compete garbage league.

Reactions: My3Sons and Duder54

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh well. Not lik
I guess it's a legal hit but it shouldn't be. Just because someone has his head down should not make it legal to hit them in the head. They are gonna change the rules soon I bet.
so you cant hit players with their heads down? Seems like a great rule. Now all the players do is skate around not looking and they can’t be hit :laugh:

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I'll be shocked if they change the rules. The NHL wants hits like this and they don't care about player safety. It couldn't be more obvious.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Meier's head isn't down, he's trying to play the puck and in a skating motion most times has you in a bent position. Completely predatory and Trouba has the responsibility on his end too to let up.
This isn’t it. Of all places, defenders can’t ‘let up’ on the puck carrier in that location of the ice.

The responsibility lies on Meier to protect himself. He’s in an area and situation where hanging onto the puck will result in body contact. Trouba went straight through the body. That Meier’s head was the initial point of contact is on Timo for skating into that situation.

This is the edge case that, if deemed illegal, will result in puck carriers not looking out for their own safety and skating around headfirst into danger.

The solution to avoiding these outcomes is to remind guys to get rid of the puck and/or be aware in the hot spots of the ice.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Clean by the rules but still a rat move. Trouba can see his head is down from a mile away and makes zero effort to lower himself to get more of the body. He took advantage of a vulnerable player.

The rest of the league is probably pretty happy he’s golfing now and won’t be injuring anyone else this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You can't be reaching or hunched over like that going into the offensive zone, you're responsible for being aware of your surroundings.

If it was a blind side hit or Trouba lead with his elbow, suspend him.

As it is, Trouba hit him head on, it looked absolutely brutal but it's legal and I wouldn't want to make these hits illegal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad