Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ideally yes, but hockey is too fast.

A player can bend at the last second and suddenly his head becomes the principal point of contact. The reason NHL rules are not that strict is that it would completely remove open-ice hitting from the game.

Players don't have enough time to think about hitting only the body from front on. There are so many factors including a player's height.

Blindside hits are bad because the player is in a vulnerable state and can't defend themselves. But the way Meier was hit here is completely his fault. Whether Trouba is hitting to separate him from the puck or to instill fear shouldn't matter. It's a fair hit.
I agree to an extent, in those sudden movement situations no supplementary discipline would be required. But in Meier's case, he didn't shift his stance, change his trajectory, etc.

I disagree with the player's don't have enough time to think about hitting only the body from front on. Once the NHL cracked down on clear headshots those went way down. Players can adapt, and should when we're talking about head injuries. There are other plays than delivering a hit.

I love big hits as much as the next person, but they need to be clean and the NHL needs to start enforcing that mindset. If a player makes a habit of skating with his head down, it's only a matter a time before he gets blown up with a clean hit that isn't to the head.

Then why not skate with your head down through center ice in the playoffs and if anyone hits you they miss the next game? Players often pay a penalty for putting themselves in a bad position, whether it’s a goal against or a big hit. If you had a chance to deliver a big hit to one of the other team’s best players, would you not take it? Meier knew the risks of crossing the blue line with his head down. Maybe some players are more gentlemanly, some aren’t and the latter will try to catch someone with their head down. It’s always been like that
What type of logic is this? Do you also think that hit from behinds and boarding should be legal? That the NHL should be okay with plays like the Eberle hit and Cogliano getting a fractured neck because he's trying to dig for the puck facing the wall? Because the exact same argument can be made about board battles too.

Concussions and head injuries are no joke. As I said above, if a player makes a habit of skating with his head down he'll eventually be blown up by a clean hit where the head isn't the principle point of contact. The argument 'it's always been like that' is a poor one, and usually used for archaic rules and laws.

Last edited:

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
Clean or not clean. Have a little respect for your colleagues. I love open ice hits like the next guy but that was a little excessive. If it happened once, I would be like, okay it happens. But this is like at least the 3rd time this year he "cleanly" wrecked someone. Not a fan of someone that seeks predatory hits with the intent to demolish/injure and then feels okay about it because its "clean". That just makes you an a** hole in my books.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I agree to an extent, in those sudden movement situations no supplementary discipline would be required. But in Meier's case, he didn't shift his stance, change his trajectory, etc.

I disagree with the player's don't have enough time to think about hitting only the body from front on. Once the NHL cracked down on clear headshots those went way down. Players can adapt, and should when we're talking about head injuries. There are other plays than delivering a hit.

I love big hits as much as the next person, but they need to be clean and the NHL needs to start enforcing that mindset. If a player makes a habit of skating with his head down, it's only a matter a time before he gets blown up with a clean hit that isn't to the head.

What type of logic is this? Do you also think that hit from behinds and boarding should be legal? That the NHL should be okay with plays like the Eberle hit and Cogliano getting a fractured neck because he's trying to dig for the puck facing the wall? Because the exact same argument can be made about board battles too.

Concussions and head injuries are no joke. As I said above, if a player makes a habit of skating with his head down he'll eventually be blown up by a clean hit where the head isn't the principle point of contact. The argument 'it's always been like that' is a poor one, and usually used for archaic rules and laws.
Skate with your head up and you don’t get leveled. Simple as. Players shouldn’t get a pass because they made a mistake

Reactions: cliffclaven

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
It’s clean. It’s predatory. But, it being predatory doesn’t make it illegal
Meier is one of my fav players… I don‘t like the hit but it‘s clean. He put his head down… he was in a vulnerable position but this is the NHL and a playoff game.

I understand Trouba, that he wants to exploit such a situation. I mean we love the NHL for its physicality… and Trouba gets paid big bucks for the presence he is… and that means sometimes deliver a legal crushing hit.

If things like this are no longer allowed it becomes a game for …

Meier was shaken, but I think he is good to go in the next round.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Even though that was clean it was certainly an intent to injure, mostly out of frustration. These big hits just aren’t worth it given what we know about the resulting condition. Granted they can motivate a team but still

Trouba is knocking out 1-3 players a year in this fashion. League needs to reevaluate

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
That is one of those massive open-ice hits I used to love seeing in games 20 years ago... before I knew anything about CTE. As impressive as it is, they need to change the rules because these young men are getting permanent brain damage from hits like this.
If these hits are no longer allowed you will soon have 5‘7 guys circling around…

C‘mon… I mean it was Meiers decision to skate into traffic, now he should not get hit? He put his head down, how is someone supposed to hit him when he sticks his head into a candy box?? You just yes Sir, please go ahead we don‘t touch you…

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
There should be a duty of care to protect the head.

Even if the skater is skating slouched with his head down.

Under the current rules the hit was 'legal' but they should change the rules going forward. Automatic penalty if a hit is made to the head of an opposing player, whether it was intentional or accident.

It quite weird high sticking is called immediately whether the contact by stick was quite minor or not but a hit like Trouba is deemed OK.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Then why not skate with your head down through center ice in the playoffs and if anyone hits you they miss the next game? Players often pay a penalty for putting themselves in a bad position, whether it’s a goal against or a big hit. If you had a chance to deliver a big hit to one of the other team’s best players, would you not take it? Meier knew the risks of crossing the blue line with his head down. Maybe some players are more gentlemanly, some aren’t and the latter will try to catch someone with their head down. It’s always been like that
Am I missing something? Is his head covering his entire body? Like if Trouba comes and smashes his shoulder like we've seen several times against guys that have been unaware or is that not possible for some reason.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Massive clean hit. However, I’m very surprised that nobody decided to challenge Trouba and stand up for Meier. The Devils are incredibly soft, and it’s fair game to injure their players.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Am I missing something? Is his head covering his entire body? Like if Trouba comes and smashes his shoulder like we've seen several times against guys that have been unaware or is that not possible for some reason.
Hit through the center on the body.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Hitting a player in the shoulder (or slightly off-center) from front-on is technically the wrong play.

If you miss, you're completely out of the play. Instead, it's best to go through the center of a player's body, which unfortunately includes the head if he's bent over like Meier was.

You also increase the risk of chicken-winging the player if they move last second since you're already off-center. This is a far more dangerous play ending with an elbow to the head.

I guarantee if they tweak the rule as some are suggesting, it will end hitting in hockey. Either defenders won't take the risk or offensive players will begin playacting indicating head contact on every other hit.

Hockey is a physical sport. It's what you sign up for. You know a 100 MPH slapshot can hit you in the head if you try to block it. You also know you can get destroyed like Meier did if you put your head down in open ice.

Reactions: blue425

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Massive clean hit. However, I’m very surprised that nobody decided to challenge Trouba and stand up for Meier. The Devils are incredibly soft, and it’s fair game to injure their players.
Devils made the correct choice. Best revenge is closing out that game and series.

I'm certain the response would be different if it weren't a game 7.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Hitting a player in the shoulder (or slightly off-center) from front-on is technically the wrong play.

If you miss, you're completely out of the play. Instead, it's best to go through the center of a player's body, which unfortunately includes the head if he's bent over like Meier was.

You also increase the risk of chicken-winging the player if they move last second since you're already off-center. This is a far more dangerous play ending with an elbow to the head.

I guarantee if they tweak the rule as some are suggesting, it will end hitting in hockey. Either defenders won't take the risk or offensive players will begin playacting indicating head contact on every other hit.

Hockey is a physical sport. It's what you sign up for. You know a 100 MPH slapshot can hit you in the head if you try to block it. You also know you can get destroyed like Meier did if you put your head down in open ice.
BS the player safety explains on several occasions that if a head hit can be avoided(rule) and gave several suspensions over the years for several different occasion that were way lesser than this. This is ridiculous Meier doesn't even change where his head is before Trouba was lined up.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Legal hit with dirty intent. I hate how Trouba sees someone vulnerable and instead of just throwing a big hit, he tries to cause as much brain damage as possible. Trouba is one of the few players in the league that I wouldn't mind seeing take a knee to the head. What's James Neal doing now?

PK

Jul 11, 2022
I’m not saying they should’ve retaliated/dropped the gloves with Trouba, but there wasn’t a reaction of ANY kind. No one even seemed upset that their teammate was knocked out on the ice by a questionable hit. Very bizarre.

Yeah the commentary was strange as well. Brought the “rules analyst” in who of course was useless, then they pretty much moved on.
Oh the Devils kept their heads cool and finished the job instead of getting upset. BIZARRE.

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
I wonder how it is still allowed in NHL to intentionally hurt or even end a players career just because he was vulnerable for some reason. This makes it ok to intentionally hit straight to the head in full force. Classy.

Friends son, who is a great hockey player already at 14, has already had several concussions.

"He asked for it because he was so low" doesn't cover it.

Lets bring respect for other athletes in hockey. Too much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad