Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I’d love to see how the “Keep your head up crowd” would react to receiving a hit like this. The pseudo tough guy acts from people involved with hockey are embarrassing. This is straight through Meier’s head and it’s absolutely disgusting
I had my "bell rung" in football getting in a pile. lol It happens in violent sports. But you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Reactions: cliffclaven

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I’m a Rangers fan but can see anyone upset by this. Lined up for a big hit and kept elbow in and down, did t elevate, but it’s still a big head shot that the league supposedly wants out.

I want to like the hit, but man that could have been bad.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
I see the “keep your head up” brigade is out in full force, lol.

That’s not how CTE works. You ever watch a boxing match or a UFC event? Those guys aren’t staring at the ground while they’re getting hit in the head.

I believe they mean know where, or who you're skating towards. He didn't see it coming.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Meier kinda walked into that one, Trouba came from the front door. Needed to be more aware of his surroundings.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That’s why I said the intention was dirty. But if a player is skating with his head down, should he be deemed untouchable? Why not do that all the time then through the neutral zone?
Happens all the time now in pretty much every game because players for some reason aren’t expecting to get steamrolled. Playing defense anymore is stick checks and board battles. Open ice hits are all but gone now, and they’ll be eliminated soon for the new “fans”.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Head was principal point of contact but how could it not be when his head was leading.

I really hate to see hits like this but I think it is legal.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Trouba came off the bench and he knew Meier was unsighted... He is a piece of shit and one of these days he will get filled in... I'd like to see a Shawn Thorton style take down ...like on Orpik..

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Happens all the time now in pretty much every game because players for some reason aren’t expecting to get steamrolled. Playing defense anymore is stick checks and board battles. Open ice hits are all but gone now, and they’ll be eliminated soon for the new “fans”.
I get that people don’t like concussions and want to minimize them but they will always happen in contact sports, even on clean plays. NHL players know what they are getting into, they know they are playing with fire if they come across the blue line with their head down. Unfortunately concussions and injuries are a major risk but these guys make a lot of money. If they aren’t comfortable with the risks they shouldn’t play the sport. I can’t see the league doing away with hitting, even as the open ice hit becomes rarer and rarer. A major selling point of hockey is that X factor which other sports don’t have. The NHL is already falling way behind the other 3 sports and taking hitting out might be it’s death blow.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It was a clean hit. Meier head down and Trouba led with his shoulder. Meier had a very unlucky series with 0 points on like 27 shots. Hopefully he isn't concussed , last update the team said he ok with bloody nose they needed to be clogged up. Maybe his bell getting rung will he a wake up call.

Trouba went 7 games with 0 points and was a -1. Pretty meh statline. This seems to be the only real highlight for him this series. Fox , Miller and Lindgren are alot more important to the Rangers success than their own captain.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Clean hit for sure but NJ got the last laugh though. I love my Rangers but this this team had zero identity after the first game.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Legal. Not clean.

And shouldn't be legal.
That makes 0 sense. Legal but not clean. If it's legal. It's clean. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not clean. You can argue that Trouba is a jackass who could have led up and didn't, but it's still clean.

Reactions: cliffclaven

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I get that people don’t like concussions and want to minimize them but they will always happen in contact sports, even on clean plays. NHL players know what they are getting into, they know they are playing with fire if they come across the blue line with their head down. Unfortunately concussions and injuries are a major risk but these guys make a lot of money. If they aren’t comfortable with the risks they shouldn’t play the sport. I can’t see the league doing away with hitting, even as the open ice hit becomes rarer and rarer. A major selling point of hockey is that X factor which other sports don’t have. The NHL is already falling way behind the other 3 sports and taking hitting out might be it’s death blow.
I agree with everything you are saying. This was the biggest hit I’ve seen all year, and it’s supposed to be part of the game. The new “fans” however, don’t see it that way. They want 10-9 all star games for playoff hockey. Gonna get to the point where guys just skate with their head down all the way up ice because they can’t legally be hit. It’s a joke.

Reactions: HOOats

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Saw this on Twitter:

Trouba is the dirtiest "clean" player I've ever seen.

Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that he keeps injuring skilled players with borderline hits.
I don't think he injured him. He left the game and was taken to concussion protocol. I think he returned there at the end.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
If you replaced Trouba with a stationary brick wall, Meier would have skated into it head first. Would you accuse the brick wall of a predatory hit because there was head contact?

Reactions: Kupo

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
The only thing Trouba hit was basically Meier's head. Will be surprised if Meier remember the past few hours at all tomorrow.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree with what you say but i think the last part of your post is more because of the internet and social media culture. It gives people a platform for complaining and opinions, those complaints and opinions draw others in, sides are taken. Every hit now is put under a microscope and the thread is basically a “is it clean or not?” and it devolves from there. I think mostly people don’t like seeing others get a potential brain injury but that will always be a well known risk in any contact sport
Absolutely. Nobody wants to see anybody get hurt. And I think you'll find it hard to find majority of NYR fans who don't think Trouba hits to punish, but with that said, clean and didn't need to happen are 2 very different things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad