Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
it's an entertainment product full of millionaires.

i care about my entertainment value.

if these players wanted to make millions, but in a safer job, they would have become something else.

not worth trying with these people. they don't get the culture, they don't understand that every good player knows you put your head down, you are accountable for what happens. every "victim" to them has to be 100% innocent and they don't understand that the players on the ice know differently. they hold themselves accountable for putting themselves in bad spots - a foreign concept to many - and understand the difference between a headshot and putting themselves, and their head, in a bad spot.

every player out there knows no one is out to injure anyone, they all know they can be at any time though and players have a lot of respect each other. look no further than the handshake line with trouba and meier. both players respect each other, both know it was a good hit. trouba basically confirmed as much today if there were any doubts. almost all players absolutely despise people who think like the people whining, as they do the media who say similar. there's just things they'll never get, and the best thing to do is ignore and let them yell at the clouds about it.

Reactions: Canadian Finn

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
When I was younger big hits never bothered me one bit, and in general people weren't really that aware or interested in braintrauma. As I've got older I've gone softer and more emphatic towards the people getting hit (in all sports) and I can no longer enjoy them as much.

I realize that physicality is a big part of hockey, but we should try to protect these players more. If this hit on Meier is legal maybe we should change the rules. I feel like legal hitting should always be the responsibility of the hitter and never the one getting hit. A similar rule like high sticking where player is always responsible for their stick a hitter should always be aware of not hitting the head no matter what the other player does. In this case, Meier is a big guy so he'll be fine. But imagine if Trouba blasted someone like Caufield. Doesn't really matter if Caufield has his head up and Trouba tucks his elbows and doesn't leave his skates, he's gonna hit him in the head regardless because of the size difference. I just hope we don't have to see another talented player's (especially if it's a young small guy) career get derailed, before we see a rule change.

Reactions: Slyfox

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This isn’t Mike Richards picking Booth’s head though.
That was a really bad one.

This is the kind of hit we need goons for.

Yes. Technically this is a clean hit.

It is also a repeat offender again taking liberties injuring players far better than him.
If there was a McSorley or Odjick or Brashier or... If Trouba knew, that every time he deliberately injured a player he would get his face beaten in to a mush... I think he would be a bit more careful with how, when and who he lays out.
Goons never stopped Scott Stevens from head hunting. The only thing that stopped him was a puck to the temple.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I’ve asked the question to multiple people in this thread, with no response.

How am I supposed to hit you if you’re coming straight at me with your head down?

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I’ve asked the question to multiple people in this thread, with no response.

How am I supposed to hit you if you’re coming straight at me with your head down?
you are supposed to politely ask, "excuse me Sir, may I please kindly remove you from the puck?"

anyone advocating for changes in rule simply don't understand the game of hockey.

Reactions: cliffclaven

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The reality is...there just is not a single functional way to make the hit Trouba did, without catching Meier's head in the process. The primary point of contact was Timo's entire f***ing body. It was like running into a moving wall.

But that's what a good open ice hit is going to result in. On a puck carrier who has their head down for skating ergonomics as much as anything else.

The lines are painted on the ice for a reason. You cross one, you should have your head up. Those are critical transition points. You can't ask a team to just politely concede entrance to their zone and expect them to accommodate. They often do...but that can't be the expectation.

That Trouba hit is something i wish we'd see more of. Guys who are willing to make someone pay the price to skate the puck over their blueline by stepping up and using their body to stop that progress in its tracks.

Reactions: cliffclaven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad