Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think your kind of missing the point there bro. But yes, that’s what I am saying. You shouldn’t attempt to knock out the other teams best players in the last game of a losing series. That’s not good for the game and it’s simply poor sportsmanship.
Do you think overcoming a 2 goal deficit with 10 minutes to go is impossible? Do you think the Rangers wouldn’t have a better chance of winning in Meier isn’t sore or out of the game?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hilarious at all the anti-hitting posters in here.

Sad too. It's hockey, it's still a physical sport. Baseball, soccer, and basketball are all sports where hitting is illegal. Maybe check those out?
I haven't seen one anti hitting poster. Seen lots of anti head shot posters though. Big difference. Eg. Teouba hits meier sqaure in the shoulder and dislocates it.. the post is half a page long and no one is complaining. Sad people can't see the difference.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I haven't seen one anti hitting poster. Seen lots of anti head shot posters though. Big difference. Eg. Teouba hits meier sqaure in the shoulder and dislocates it.. the post is half a page long and no one is complaining. Sad people can't see the difference.
This isn’t Mike Richards picking Booth’s head though. If a guy skates with his head down, slouched over, a hit directed towards the center of the body will get his head. The only way to take the “keep your head up” hit out of the game is to remove the open ice hit. These aren’t 12 year old schoolboys. These are professionals in the highest level. Meier keeps his head up this thread doesn’t exist. I think it is asinine to tell defensemen they can’t step up on a player entering the offensive zone because he is shoe gazing. Maybe I missed it but there doesn’t seem to be a hearing scheduled because 90% see it’s a hit that is impossible to remove from the game unless hitting is removed. Maybe I also missed it but Meier hasn’t complained either. These guys know what they are getting into when they are professionals in a contact sport

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I wouldn’t have minded this hit in Game 1, or a tough fought OT. Big hit. Meier should have kept his head up. And Timo doesn’t exactly shy away from big hits himself. Timo led the NJD in hits over the series.

But what gets me about this is the context in which it happened. Game 7. NYR down by 2 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd.

This was a f*** you, not a hockey play. Trouba was pissed because his team was about to get eliminated when they had been poised to make a deep run. I can’t say this was an intent to injure, but it was reckless and simply poor sportsmanship. I don’t mind if he is playing hard to win. But this is just a grown ass man throwing a fit.
Embarrassing post, yikes.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I think your kind of missing the point there bro. But yes, that’s what I am saying. You shouldn’t attempt to knock out the other teams best players in the last game of a losing series. That’s not good for the game and it’s simply poor sportsmanship.
Making a big hit is a great way to generate momentum for your team. If there was 30 seconds left in the game I would agree with you, but with 10 minutes left I couldn’t disagree with you more.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Ridiculous. If NJ overreacted and instigated a fight, NYR gets a PP. Teams have scored 2 goals in under 20 seconds in big playoff games.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I haven't seen one anti hitting poster. Seen lots of anti head shot posters though. Big difference.

Screenshot_20230503-145614.png

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I've spent my life in hockey, and my sons too. I will never get on board with this type of play. It's predatory and the only intent is to injure the other player. We don't train our kids to not have their heads taken off.

As a parent of a kid in the sport, a long time player myself, and a coach....this thread is awful for a lot of you.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This isn’t Mike Richards picking Booth’s head though. If a guy skates with his head down, slouched over, a hit directed towards the center of the body will get his head. The only way to take the “keep your head up” hit out of the game is to remove the open ice hit. These aren’t 12 year old schoolboys. These are professionals in the highest level. Meier keeps his head up this thread doesn’t exist. I think it is asinine to tell defensemen they can’t step up on a player entering the offensive zone because he is shoe gazing. Maybe I missed it but there doesn’t seem to be a hearing scheduled because 90% see it’s a hit that is impossible to remove from the game unless hitting is removed. Maybe I also missed it but Meier hasn’t complained either. These guys know what they are getting into when they are professionals in a contact sport
Hit a guy in the open ice as hard as you want. Not head first. That's it. So simple. The rule needs a change.

There was only one hit like this in round one.. I have no idea how many hits were laid out in round one but this was the only one like that. It is the exception and not the norm.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
glad that most of the fans realize that was a good clean hit.

there will always be the outliers.

it'll get scary when the majority feel a hit like that is scary and bad. the way we are going, it's eventual.

thankfully not there yet though.

Reactions: Devonator

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Hit a guy in the open ice as hard as you want. Not head first. That's it. So simple. The rule needs a change.

There was only one hit like this in round one.. I have no idea how many hits were laid out in round one but this was the only one like that. It is the exception and not the norm.
Look, at this point it’s clear we’ll never agree so I’m done here. Given that there doesn’t even seem to be a hearing scheduled I think the league agrees too. There are many jobs with worse pay with worse consequences if you put yourself in a bad position which Meier did, and I don’t think he is bigger than the game. If you don’t like big, clean hits that may possibly cause a concussion and they bother you that much, don’t watch. There are other non hitting leagues. If the NHL does decide to take open ice hitting, or hitting in general, out of the game, that’s fine too. I’ll just move on and spend my time elsewhere. It won’t hurt as much as I thought it would have 10-20 years ago but my interest has been waning anyway. No need to reply because, as I said, I’m done. We just don’t see eye to eye and neither will convince the other

Reactions: cliffclaven

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Look, at this point it’s clear we’ll never agree so I’m done here. Given that there doesn’t even seem to be a hearing scheduled I think the league agrees too. There are many jobs with worse pay with worse consequences if you put yourself in a bad position which Meier did, and I don’t think he is bigger than the game. If you don’t like big, clean hits that may possibly cause a concussion and they bother you that much, don’t watch. There are other non hitting leagues. If the NHL does decide to take open ice hitting, or hitting in general, out of the game, that’s fine too. I’ll just move on and spend my time elsewhere. It won’t hurt as much as I thought it would have 10-20 years ago but my interest has been waning anyway. No need to reply because, as I said, I’m done. We just don’t see eye to eye and neither will convince the other
The reason it is not being reviewed is because it is within the NHL rulebook. That is why people like me want to see the rule changed.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hockey Canada's New Head Contact Rule

It also occurs to me that the only league that allows this hit is the NHL. Maybe the AHL or ECHL? Definitely not IIHF.

All those leagues and tournaments have big hits. Just not the Trouba and Reeves (on Hronek.. exact same debate and when I learned these rules are allowed in the NHL and had to change my stance to change the rule) type hits two or three times a season.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
i get what you're saying czeckboy, and you may have answered this already (havent followed yet) but how can you prevent a hit in which someone leans into a hit or has their head down during the time a hit is coming? It's going to be a pretty tough to have a rule that fairly accounts for these situations. In that situation, it may be out of the hands of the hitter when someon puts their head down.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
That hit was clean but Truba elbows to the head ( called or not) aren't

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
glad that most of the fans realize that was a good clean hit.

there will always be the outliers.

it'll get scary when the majority feel a hit like that is scary and bad. the way we are going, it's eventual.

thankfully not there yet though.
LOL if a guy like Okposos took a hit like that with his concussion history he would be retired....guess people just don't give a damn about player safety anymore.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I've learned from this thread that it's only physically possible to hit someone head on. Not from an angle or from the side, it just doesn't work. So if they just skate with their head down its just entirely impossible to hit them if you can't make primary contact with the head. Cheat code unlocked...genius!
Explain, exactly, how I’m supposed to hit you if you’re coming straight at me with your head down? You want no head contact (let’s be honest, you want no hitting period), so I guess I’ll just go low and take out one or both of your knees. An “acceptable” hit I guess. At least I didn’t hit you in the head, right? Lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gloaming

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018

Jesus man. You just don’t get it.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
LOL if a guy like Okposos took a hit like that with his concussion history he would be retired....guess people just don't give a damn about player safety anymore.
it's an entertainment product full of millionaires.

i care about my entertainment value.

if these players wanted to make millions, but in a safer job, they would have become something else.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It's too bad that he missed the first game.

The hit was legal, yet predatory. At the same time - if you can't step up on the blue line when an opponent enters the zone, then when are you allowed to?

This was game 7, of course there's a big risk you will get lit up if you skate with your head down, especially if Trouba is on the ice.

IMO Trouba isn't a dirty player, BUT he's a predatory type of player. He plays within the rules and he will lay down punishing hits.

It sucks that it took until game 7 for him to wake up and use some physicality.

I hope Meier gets well soon!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad