Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I guess it's a legal hit but it shouldn't be. Just because someone has his head down should not make it legal to hit them in the head. They are gonna change the rules soon I bet.
On the flip side, if I put my head down from blue line to blue line, should I now be uneligible to be hit....I'd hate for a player on my team to be hit like this, but I don't like when players put themselves in vulnerable positions...just like when a player stands a foot away from the boards, and turns at the last second to avoid a hit resulting in them getting injured

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Meier played the puck 0.1 to 0.2 seconds before Trouba checked him.
I’ll concede there. The slow-mo of the opposite angle made it look much worse. Regardless, my issue with the hit is the intent. Meier is going nowhere surrounded by three other Rangers, and Trouba plows through his chin. That hit had nothing to do with a hockey play trying to separate a guy from the puck. Pure intent to injure.

Reactions: Elysian

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't want players to get blasted and riddled with concussions but at the same time the player with the puck still needs to protect themselves and hits like this are just a part of hockey and should stay that way. Like it isn't like these guys were dragged from their homes and being forced to entertain us. They are highly skilled professional athletes that are extremely well paid to play a physical and at time violent sport. There is no way to take head injuries out of hockey.

Reactions: HOOats

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Guys a clown 🤡

Hit was legal but very close either way. A bad view from the ref and that could have been called a penalty. Would have put them two men down, while already being down 2-0 with 15 left to play. Also, a slight lift from his skates and/or a higher elbow gives him 5 and certainly ends the season. Not sure that was worth the risk but hey that's all he cares about.

Maybe Trouba should try and earn some of that disgusting 8mil a year contract by scoring a goal? Getting an assist? Instead of putting this stat line for the series.

GPGAPTS+/-
7000-1

Side note. It's crazy the Rangers picked Trouba to be their captain. A guy they may end up buying out a few years into his time as the captaincy.

Reactions: Dialamo

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Principle point of contact was the face/head. This hit toes the line of what the rule says, but this kind of hit is pretty obviously the kind of hit the NHL doesn't want in the game considering the potential for brain injury so its time to amend the rule so this scumbag has to stop doing it. Pretty simple.

Reactions: pman25 and nturn06

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A cardinal rule in hockey is don’t skate through the middle with your head down. Head contact was unavoidable there unless Trouba opted to not hit Meier altogether.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
What do you guys want? A rule change?

Allow players the ability to skate hunched over and/or looking down knowing the other team can’t hit you and make head contact? And if they do you get a PP?

I’d have a team of midgets and every time they get hit “up high” I would bitch and complain about plater safety.

What is Trouba supposed to do here? Not hit him? Or snap his fingers and morph into a 14 year olds 5’2” body, and then check Timo? Dude’s 6’3”. Dmen should be able to use their size to their advantage. Trouba didn’t leave his feet, throw an elbow, or hit someone without the puck.

This is an open ice hit. Not from behind, or at an angle along the boards where you’re going to fracture someone’s neck.

Timo put himself in a stupid position. This is game 7 playoff hockey. Intensity is high. Keep your f***ing head up.

So many pansies here. Go drink your soy milk and eat your tofu and go watch volleyball or something. Hockey is obviously too violent for y’all. Can’t even differentiate a “clean, yet predatory hit” instead of a blatant penalty.

This is a pathetic post.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bunting barely touches Cernak in the Leafs/Lightning series who was also leaning down which allowed his head to get clipped equals 3 game suspension. Trouba purposely goes for the hit on Meier equals fine with not even a penalty. Makes perfect sense. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Personally I think both hits were fine, but its clear refs and the league don't judge things equally in a balanced manner.
Differences
Bunting leaves feet
Meier has the puck, Cernak not close to puck
Bunting throws his elbow, Trouba’s is well tucked.
Bunting hits only face, Trouba hits face as he hits right through the body.

Seems like your not good at comparing hits.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
The dopes at DoPS, if they had any sense at all, would release a video explaining why this hit is legal under Rule 48. This would help fans and media understand the rule. And then the conversation could shift to rule changes. Adopt IIHF rules? Add an "unnecessary roughness" penalty or "duty of care" provision? Work backwards: Write the rule that would make this hit illegal.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Hit through the center on the body.
No, it was a hit straight through the head first, then the body.

The NHL probably: " Poor Trouba, he's done nothing wrong! It's just a coincidence that players keep putting their heads unavoidably between Trouba and his clean check's through their body. "

Reactions: nturn06

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Scott Stevens made a career out of ending other players' careers with hits just like this.

I'm seeing a lot of bellyaching about this hit from many of the same fans that were glorifying Stevens in the past.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Scott Stevens made a career out of ending other players' careers with hits just like this.

I'm seeing a lot of bellyaching about this hit from many of the same fans that were glorifying Stevens in the past.
That was 25 years ago, bud. There’s like fifty other hockey plays that illicit a different reactions today, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad