Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I've seen enough of these threads this year to realize they really need to change that rule. These hits need to be out of the game. That was head first and broke his face. The fact he didn't jump doesn't change that it was head first. The fact his shoulder was tucked doesn't change that it was head first. BUT, the NHL rule seems to imply it's okay to hit head first under circumstances like this.

I know. I know.. go watch tennis or womens softball, keep your head up, his soul left his body.. blah blah blah. I'll concede it was legal by the rules but the rule needs to change.

The reason that hit is legal is because if you punished every hit that had some head contact it would significantly disincentivize hitting.

Meier is tucked over and leading with his chin. Any attempt at an open ice hit in that moment is going to have head contact.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I've seen enough of these threads this year to realize they really need to change that rule. These hits need to be out of the game. That was head first and broke his face. The fact he didn't jump doesn't change that it was head first. The fact his shoulder was tucked doesn't change that it was head first. BUT, the NHL rule seems to imply it's okay to hit head first under circumstances like this.

I know. I know.. go watch tennis or womens softball, keep your head up, his soul left his body.. blah blah blah. I'll concede it was legal by the rules but the rule needs to change.
So at what point to we just say "Go skate with your head down, if anyone hits you, they're done for"

At this stage are we completely finished putting any sort of blame on the player with his head staring at his skates, bent over, expecting Trouble to do a drive by stick check?

If I'm staring at my cellphone and walk into a pole and break my nose, I'm not going to get mad at the city for installing that light post there. At some point there HAS to be some responsibility on the guy who's cutting through the middle of the ice. There just has to be.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Words mean things. It would help all involved to not make things up on the fly to suit a narrative.
What are you even talking about. Again....if you think the Raffl hit is even close to the Timo hit, you are clearly trolling. Raffl is standing straight up relative to hockey positioning. Your cool little graphic with a squiggy line shows nothing.

So at what point to we just say "Go skate with your head down, if anyone hits you, they're done for"

At this stage are we completely finished putting any sort of blame on the player with his head staring at his skates, bent over, expecting Trouble to do a drive by stick check?

If I'm staring at my cellphone and walk into a pole and break my nose, I'm not going to get mad at the city for installing that light post there. At some point there HAS to be some responsibility on the guy who's cutting through the middle of the ice. There just has to be.
You win! Argument done!

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
f you punished every hit that had some head contact it would significantly disincentivize hitting.
Perfect! Exactly why I want the rule changed.

Head trauma is no joke. Heck, 2 of my favs this year had their careers most likely ended from concussions.. Voracek and O. Kase.

Reactions: cptjeff

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Ghosts of Scott Stevens past.
Watching this game, there were so many opportunities for huge open ice hits.

Having watched a bit of all series players keep skating through the neutral zone head down, crossing the blue line without considering contact. I think this game was the best example of that and I thought Hughes was eventually going to get clocked but it was Meier instead.

Not that I want to see a return of the Scott Stevens Era, but it'd be nice to see some more contact.

Reactions: Goose

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The DoPS is mostly a joke but by rule 48.1 this is a legal hit.

I can understand not liking the hit but in this case your issue is with the NHL rulebook, not the DoPS
I hear ya ... and the only way the head would be avoided with this specific hit is if Trouba decides to not make the hit at all. But we cant reward guys skating hunched down saying they are protected

But thats a lot of head
Head initial point of contact
Head (arguably) principle point of impact

One of those hits, if its your guy getting drilled in the head, you arent happy about it.

I could see hits like this make the NHL take out the "unavoidable" and make hit like this illegal in the future. Avoidable vs unavoidable is so subjective and to me, DOPS only suspends for all head hits now.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018

Advocating for “hits like this” to be out of the game will effectively eliminate all open ice bodychecks. Absolutely no one is going to risk hitting if it’s 5+ a game. Making the league as exciting as the all star game is.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
If these hits are no longer allowed you will soon have 5‘7 guys circling around…

C‘mon… I mean it was Meiers decision to skate into traffic, now he should not get hit? He put his head down, how is someone supposed to hit him when he sticks his head into a candy box?? You just yes Sir, please go ahead we don‘t touch you…
Yeah, Meier obviously made a mistake with his zone entry path but that is neither here nor there. The penalty for that error isn't a torn muscle or a broken bone, it is a hit that could cause brain damage on its own and that probability drastically increases when multiple hits like this are accumulated over the course if a career.

These guys have most of their lives still ahead of them after they retire at 35 and CTE can utterly ruin a person's quality of life. This is a level of long-term disability beyond just muscle and tendon damage. For the fan experience and the quality of play I am right with you, but that isn't worth the long term cost to these young men.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Head trauma is no joke. Heck, 2 of my favs this year had their careers most likely ended from concussions.. Voracek and O. Kase.
Kase has been a ticking time bomb for years. That guy has gotten blown up like 30 times, and 80% of the time, he's looking at his skates. The guy has the worst on ice awareness I've ever seen.

It's unfortunate, but they keep wheeling him out there to play hockey games when he should have been done years ago. That's on the coaching staff and medical team. Stevie Wonder could have seen how bad of an idea it was after his last 2-3 concussions.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Advocating for “hits like this” to be out of the game will effectively eliminate all open ice bodychecks. Absolutely no one is going to risk hitting if it’s 5+ a game. Making the league as exciting as the all star game is.
I thought round 1 of the playoffs was amazing. How many of 'hits like this' did you see? I only saw this one.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Well you are welcome to become a fan of the Ladies game. No hitting there. I for one enjoy my hockey as it is. People are going to get injured. Kind of goes with the job description for what they get paid millions of dollars for. No joke, I agree. But responsibility for that falls on all of the players, including those getting hit.

Let's ban boxing and MMA and make the NFL flag football. Lacrosse should be outlawed.

This is sport. It is Fast. It is Aggressive. It is Physical. It is perfectly fine.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
It’s clean. It’s predatory. But, it being predatory doesn’t make it illegal
There are going to be polarizing views on this hit.
Had Meier made a pass one second earlier, it's dirty hit. Very risky move and it's all about timing. That is why players do not go for this such hit anymore or they get in trouble with that move. I am all for protecting players asset for the players safety but unfortunately, this is extremely clean. If I'm the coach, I would instruct them not to risk this type of move regular season or playoffs.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

I don't think that's soft, or stupid or anything else, but I disagree. I just think hitting is too important to the integrity of the game.

Pure headshots like Bunting on Cernak you punish severely, and hits like this you don't.

It does suck to see concussions no doubt.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Yeah, Meier obviously made a mistake with his zone entry path but that is neither here nor there. The penalty for that error isn't a torn muscle or a broken bone, it is a hit that could cause brain damage on its own and that probability drastically increases when multiple hits like this are accumulated over the course if a career.

These guys have most of their lives still ahead of them after they retire at 35 and CTE can utterly ruin a person's quality of life. This is a level of long-term disability beyond just muscle and tendon damage. For the fan experience and the quality of play I am right with you, but that isn't worth the long term cost to these young men.
It is no joke....agreed.....but unless you completely change the game, you will not be able to 100% remove that risk. There are rules in place to mitigate it. But those rules are not a catch all. Meier has responsibility for his health. The only way to completely protect their quality of life post 35 is to completely outlaw hitting. Well there is another option....don't play the sport.

I for one, want hitting in the game and the rules to govern hitting is adequate.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I thought round 1 of the playoffs was amazing. How many of 'hits like this' did you see? I only saw this one.
You are correct.. and it’s the only actual hit I can remember out of the first round.

Edit- and I blame that on the rules that have already neutered the game. It’s a shell of what it once was.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
It is no joke....agreed.....but unless you completely change the game, you will not be able to 100% remove that risk. There are rules in place to mitigate it. But those rules are not a catch all. Meier has responsibility for his health. The only way to completely protect their quality of life post 35 is to completely outlaw hitting. Well there is another option....don't play the sport.

I for one, want hitting in the game and the rules to govern hitting is adequate.

How many NHL players would you estimate make it through their hockey career without longterm head trauma? 90%+?

If you were to remove the blatantly dirty Cooke/Torres/etc-type hits, where it's not the fault of the player getting hit, how does the vast majority of players manage to not get smoked by massive hits? I would argue their on-ice awareness AND the realization they need to protect themselves causes them to NOT put themselves in a position like Meier did here.

There really needs to be a reemphasis on player self-preservation at the lower levels of development. I have always argued that removing all responsibility for being hit from the puck carrier will result in MORE dangerous hits than it prevents.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Hits aren't made exclusively with the shoulder.

I'm baffled that all these life-long beerleaguers are just now being made aware of a hipcheck...

I don't see how you make an open ice hip check in that situation. There's only been a few guys able to really pull that off successfully. Most of the time it's when you're closing a player off along the boards.

I hear ya ... and the only way the head would be avoided with this specific hit is if Trouba decides to not make the hit at all. But we cant reward guys skating hunched down saying they are protected

But thats a lot of head
Head initial point of contact
Head (arguably) principle point of impact

One of those hits, if its your guy getting drilled in the head, you arent happy about it.

I could see hits like this make the NHL take out the "unavoidable" and make hit like this illegal in the future. Avoidable vs unavoidable is so subjective and to me, DOPS only suspends for all head hits now.

It wouldn't apply to this one but I could see the league implementing a no "third man in" rule for hitting as an intermediate step. Some of the most devastating hits seem to be when a player is already engaged with an opponent. Then a third guy comes in and crushes because his focus is on the guy he's already battling with.

like I said, it wouldn't make a difference on the Trouba hit but could keep a lot of hitting in the game. Just not one where a player is already engaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

- 0:58 Cernak not looking at Bunting and as you can plainly see he skates into Bunting leading with his head down. If he doesn't go so low he doesn't get clipped in the head. At 0:59 Cernak is at the middle of the goalie net and at 1:00 he's clearly past the right goal post. So yeah Cernak SKATED INTO Bunting.

- You can CLEARLY see from this angle that Bunting's elbow is tucked in BEFORE AND DURING the hit and only leaves his side AFTER the hit.

- Bunting's feet barely leaves the ice even during impact. I don't know why people argue about players 'leaving their feet' or 'jumping into a hit' makes any sense when you LOSE POWER trying to do such an unnatural move while trying to hit someone when the most natural thing to do is to keep your feet planted on the ice to generate maximum power while hitting.

Lol wow, and Cernak no where near the puck.
Cernak skates into the elbow, funny guy.
Elbow tucked in good one.
Appears your on an Island with that take.

Reactions: RogerRoger

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Can’t believe there are people who actually think Trouba is supposed to not hit Timo just because he has his head down.

He did everything in his power to deliver a clean hard bodycheck, every bit of head contact here is entirely down to Timo’s actions. How can you punish a player for doing nothing wrong, just because the person receiving the hit failed to protect himself?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Can’t believe there are people who actually think Trouba is supposed to not hit Timo just because he has his head down.

He did everything in his power to deliver a clean hard bodycheck, every bit of head contact here is entirely down to Timo’s actions. How can you punish a player for doing nothing wrong, just because the person receiving the hit failed to protect himself?
It's remarkable actually.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
It wouldn't apply to this one but I could see the league implementing a "third man in" for hitting as an intermediate step. Some of the most devastating hits seem to be when a player is already engaged with an opponent. Then a third guy comes in and crushes because his focus is on the guy he's already battling with.

like I said, it wouldn't make a difference on the Trouba hit but could keep a lot of hitting in the game. Just not one where a player is already engaged.

Those 3rd man in hits where a guy gets to line up his target whose engaged with another player ...

those are vicious. Anything where one player gets the whole fields vision and gets to make a bee line to a player scrumming/trying to play the puck

legal but id want my teammates to beat the shit out you

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad