Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Penalize a player skating with his head down just like tickets are given for not wearing seatbelts or NFL RB’s are penalized for leading with their helmet. I bet puck carriers stop putting themselves in a bad position real quick. Not really serious but just an outside the box solution instead of no open ice hits

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
The hit was legal....the rule should be changed....

The NFL now flags players for hitting receivers who are playing the ball and vulnerable... The NHL should protect puck carriers if they want skilled players to played high skill hockey IMO.

International hockey penalized ANY contact to the head no matter what
And that nfl rule is a JOKE. “Just let the guy catch the ball then tackle him” is what it amounts to. IIHF? Sucks. Like I said, just remove hitting then.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I dont get how people are still defending Trouba. Hes been laying reckless hits for years, injury after injury. On unsuspecting players in vulnerable positions, doesnt matter if its clean or not. Hes not hitting to separate anyone from the puck hes hitting to hurt.

But why is hitting to hurt wrong?

If it’s legal, it’s fine. A player can hit to hurt as it intimidates the opponent and they’ll think twice of skating through the middle.

Just like an NHL fight. You’re not throwing punches to massage the other player’s face. It’s legal and you’re trying to hurt them.

Or when you lay multiple body checks in a playoff series to build attrition. The goal is to physically impose yourself so the opponent is hurting by games 5, 6, and 7.

Physicality is a part of the sport. Yes, blindside hits are completely wrong but straight legal hits are fair game regardless of intent.

Reactions: cliffclaven

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Trouba demolishes Timo's head. His head was going to be destroyued regardless if he glances at the puck or not. Trouba could've ducked down further or slightly hit him less square so the principal point of contact would not have been his head.

Of course, players sometimes put themselves in vulnerable positions, but the onus should be on the hitter to have some sort of perception of a players position and to change the area of impact and or force accordingly.

If the NHL continues to allow hits to the head they leave themselves exposed to lawsuits in the future.

Whats even more concerning is that after Timo was literally KO'd and unable to move for a few seconds he was still allowed to play.
Timo was fine. Hes been trying to win an oscar for his acting performance this series. He peaked when he was down. Another acting job. Got right up after faking it for a little and said “im fine”

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
So you're saying he didn't have the puck when contact was made!
That he wasn’t touching the puck when contact was made. Meier was still the one in possession of the puck and was able to be legally checked. But we all know that or at least should.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
As much as I dislike Trouba and think he’s been a perpetrator of some greasy hits in the past, I don’t know what else he’s supposed to do in this situation. He doesnt bring his arm up, doesn’t leave his feet, doesn’t elevate through the check, doesn’t blindside him and doesn’t take a big run at the guy. Timo is the one with all the momentum, skating in a dangerous area with his head down and he skates right into Trouba. He has to be more aware in that situation. Unfortunate result for him but these are big strong guys moving at speed, you gotta keep your head up, especially in that area, he knows better and I’m sure he’s learned his lesson.

14:28 - Trouba comes off the bench
14:26 - Trouba decides he is going to try to kill Timo Meier
14:24 - Trouba kills Timo Meier

That's an eternity in NHL time. There were many other decisions that could have been made. He also put every once of energy he had into what was almost a charge: he took two strides - another it would have been one. But a player like Trouba - I'm sure he knows what he's doing (staying within the rules, just like Stevens did).

I don't blame Trouba for doing what he did given the circumstances: shades of Stevens on Lindros. At least Timo was kind of coasting by the time he got hit, and it also doesn't look like he smacked his head on the way down (at least not anything near the extent that Lindros did). So hopefully the long-term outcome isn't the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Watching this game, there were so many opportunities for huge open ice hits.

Having watched a bit of all series players keep skating through the neutral zone head down, crossing the blue line without considering contact. I think this game was the best example of that and I thought Hughes was eventually going to get clocked but it was Meier instead.

Not that I want to see a return of the Scott Stevens Era, but it'd be nice to see some more contact.

Yeah and it almost makes it more dangerous when players start getting away with it, because they become complacent, eventually opening themselves up to being truly destroyed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But why is hitting to hurt wrong?

If it’s legal, it’s fine. A player can hit to hurt as it intimidates the opponent and they’ll think twice of skating through the middle.

Just like an NHL fight. You’re not throwing punches to massage the other player’s face. It’s legal and you’re trying to hurt them.

Or when you lay multiple body checks in a playoff series to build attrition. The goal is to physically impose yourself so the opponent is hurting by games 5, 6, and 7.

Physicality is a part of the sport. Yes, blindside hits are completely wrong but straight legal hits are fair game regardless of intent.

Actually I think this is wrong.

If you're hitting to deter a player, fine, but hitting or doing other things with the explicit intent to try and injure the player so that they can't play is just wrong.

If you can't win without injuring someone you don't deserve to win in the first place.

Reactions: norrisnick

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
And that nfl rule is a JOKE. “Just let the guy catch the ball then tackle him” is what it amounts to. IIHF? Sucks. Like I said, just remove hitting then.

The rule has been completely fine in the NFL.

The Roughing the Passer rules have been complete shit

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The Camera angle that shows Patrick Kanes reaction from the bench is incredible

He looks like he saw once in a millennium occurrence

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Timo was fine. Hes been trying to win an oscar for his acting performance this series. He peaked when he was down. Another acting job. Got right up after faking it for a little and said “im fine”
Lol @ faking it. He just got obliterated.

Reactions: Mattb124

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
And that will be the death knell for the NHL. There’s a reason all star games suck.
And yet many people greatly lament the lack of Best on Best international hockey for the last 8 years. I'm pretty sure guys like Trouba don't often make Olympic Teams when you see fast, hard, entertaining hockey without the head hunting (mostly).

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
And yet many people greatly lament the lack of Best on Best international hockey for the last 8 years. I'm pretty sure guys like Trouba don't often make Olympic Teams when you see fast, hard, entertaining hockey without the head hunting (mostly).
Olympics are every 4 years. If they happened 6 months of the year every year people would lose interest. Also nationalistic pride comes into the olympics. They aren’t really comparable to the regular season nhl games

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Trouba is a piece of shit but nothing wrong with this hit. Watching it happen I remember thinking 'hmmm... this is odd that Meier is skating aimlessly into 4 Rangers all by himself. Doesn't seem like a great idea'

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Trouba should have been given a 2 minute minor, but I had to go frame by frame to identify fault so I don't blame the refs for overlooking it. He pushes off with his legs in anticipation of contact - which is good if you want to win the hit and knock the guy down - but in order to throw a legal (safe) hit you should only start extending after the contact.

• Haha
Reactions: cliffclaven

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Not a fan of Trouba, but that's just a clean old-school type hit. We don't see that hardly ever anymore.
We don't see them often because it's not an legal hit anymore due to rule 48.

I'm wondering if anyone in this thread calling it clean or legal are serious or just here to muck it up. Ask yourself this: would the NHL create a new rule (and revised it for this purpose) intending to reduce head contact and injuries due to these type of "old-school" hits but still allow crushing blows to the head like this simply because the checking player "drove through the body of the player being hit"? It's absurd. It was absolutely avoidable head contact, and that is the spirit of the rule. This has been confirmed by news articles. It doesn't matter what angle or direction, the head cannot be the primary point of contact. And yes, changing the hit to avoid the head or not hitting a guy at all is the rule players must follow. The fact that the NHL is inconsistent in it's enforcement of its rules is the only constant from them.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This isn’t it. Of all places, defenders can’t ‘let up’ on the puck carrier in that location of the ice.

The responsibility lies on Meier to protect himself. He’s in an area and situation where hanging onto the puck will result in body contact. Trouba went straight through the body. That Meier’s head was the initial point of contact is on Timo for skating into that situation.

This is the edge case that, if deemed illegal, will result in puck carriers not looking out for their own safety and skating around headfirst into danger.

The solution to avoiding these outcomes is to remind guys to get rid of the puck and/or be aware in the hot spots of the ice.
Here is the hole in this. Meier never once changed his direction. As others have mentioned, he was a player already engaged with and Trouba took advantage of that. Players are always going to be engaged at the blueline.
Trouba didn't drive through the body, he drove through his face.

Reactions: norrisnick

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nope. Trouba timed that hit the second he got on the ice. He couldve let up, braced lower, or simply not hit him square in the nose and try to get less of the players center without taking a kneeing penalty. Regardless if Timo had his head down Trouba was bulldozing through his face, the fact that Timo looks down just made it a little easier.

I dont get how people are still defending Trouba. Hes been laying reckless hits for years, injury after injury. On unsuspecting players in vulnerable positions, doesnt matter if its clean or not. Hes not hitting to separate anyone from the puck hes hitting to hurt.

lol non of those cement skated pylons could ever line up Mcdavid. So much faster and agile than any other they ever tried to hit.
after learning some primary hockey skills and you actually start playing the game, the first thing you'll hear from a coach is "keep your head up and your stick on the ice" and as the game gets faster and the players get bigger and stronger, this is advice that you better heed if you'd like to continue playing the game, almost every team in any league in any country might be lucky enough to have a couple of danglers, a bunch of hard work guys a few of who can rock you and maybe 2 or 3 guys like Trouba who remind you why that first coach told you "keep your head up and your stick on the ice"

It's hockey, it allows contact and it's how it should be played.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We don't see them often because it's not an legal hit anymore due to rule 48.

I'm wondering if anyone in this thread calling it clean or legal are serious or just here to muck it up. Ask yourself this: would the NHL create a new rule (and revised it for this purpose) intending to reduce head contact and injuries due to these type of "old-school" hits but still allow crushing blows to the head like this simply because the checking player "drove through the body of the player being hit"? It's absurd. It was absolutely avoidable head contact, and that is the spirit of the rule. This has been confirmed by news articles. It doesn't matter what angle or direction, the head cannot be the primary point of contact. And yes, changing the hit to avoid the head or not hitting a guy at all is the rule players must follow. The fact that the NHL is inconsistent in it's enforcement of its rules is the only constant from them.
Should probably read all of rule 48 , not just parts of it. So ya you’re wrong, below shows why legal, and refs agreed after huddle.
Like these parts

did opponent change position leading to the head contact?
Nope

did the player assume a position that made head contact unavoidable?
Yes

did the player making the hit attempt to hit through the body, and the head was not picked, or the head contact wasn’t because of a bad angle or unnecessary extension ?

Yep hit through the body, and didn’t come from a bad angle.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Actually I think this is wrong.

If you're hitting to deter a player, fine, but hitting or doing other things with the explicit intent to try and injure the player so that they can't play is just wrong.

If you can't win without injuring someone you don't deserve to win in the first place.
Yet players and coaches are talking about hitting players to wear them down in the playoffs. So isn't that intent? Sure they aren't saying we are going out their to try to kill a guy, but they sure seem to pump up the hitting to essentially slowly injury guys.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
Meanwhile the award for the sorest looser goes to... Never mind, that would still be too much honor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad