Trouba MASSIVE hit on Meier

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Those 3rd man in hits where a guy gets to line up his target whose engaged with another player ...

those are vicious. Anything where one player gets the whole fields vision and gets to make a bee line to a player scrumming/trying to play the puck

legal but id want my teammates to beat the shit out you
Agreed. Before they do anything serious with 48.1 I'd rather they make 3rd man in hits illegal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

For all "the how could Trouba possibly have hit anything but Meier's head" folks in here. Meier and Raffl are the same height and Seider is taller than Trouba. Mo could have easily delivered shoulder to face a la Trouba had he wanted to. He chose not to and still blew up Raffl.

That's really not the same hit, though. And Seider is first leaning because he expected the puck coming up the wall before Raffl pulled it the other way. That was a great hit, but you can't compare hits when the situation is completely different. But I also don't think you'll find many fans who are calling it clean by the rules, or good hit, believing that Trouba couldn't have led up a little.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I’m not sure about a full blown rule change. As others have said, you can’t totally take away any incentive to check someone by changing the rule to an extreme.

That said, there needs to be heavy suspensions for intent to injure with a check. It’s pretty easy to see certain players have intent to injure every game…. They are sociopaths. That is why they are always hurting guys with borderline clean hits. You can be very physical and not hurt people 15 games a year. Look at Wayne Simmonds…. He played as physical as anyone, but he wasn’t hurting guys every week either….. he had respect for the game, and for other players. Guys like Trouba do not. Until the league makes an example of guys like him, people are going to continue to get hurt worse and worse until someone dies taking a targeted hit.
Get the sociopaths out of the game.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
Yeah, Meier obviously made a mistake with his zone entry path but that is neither here nor there. The penalty for that error isn't a torn muscle or a broken bone, it is a hit that could cause brain damage on its own and that probability drastically increases when multiple hits like this are accumulated over the course if a career.

These guys have most of their lives still ahead of them after they retire at 35 and CTE can utterly ruin a person's quality of life. This is a level of long-term disability beyond just muscle and tendon damage. For the fan experience and the quality of play I am right with you, but that isn't worth the long term cost to these young men.
Well…. Mostly I agree with everything you say. However, a NHL player like Meier that will sign a contract betw 7-9m is well compensated for any damage he could incurr in his career. (Am Meier fan and not Trouba)

There are 99% of population that happily take that hit for that kind of money. Everyone knows about risks involved in hockey… he skated into four Rangers and of course Trouba came basically from the weakside unxpected, but Meiers poor decision opened up an opportunity for Trouba and we all know and Meier too, Trouba doesn‘t think twice to slay his prey.

Or are suddenly nfl rb no longer tackled because of brain injury risk?

If this is truly an issue, why don‘t give the players a better protected helmet? There are different options available and most elect one that gives less protection…j

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not a fan of Trouba, but that's just a clean old-school type hit. We don't see that hardly ever anymore.

For those of you who didn't see the old NHL, back in the day a forward had to have some caution, as every team had at least one D looking to blow someone up like that coming over the blue line. It used to be the rule was to play the body, like Trouba did, now they play the puck. So whenever someone talks about McDavid being the best ever, consider that he doesn't have a Darius Kasparitus or Scott Stevens waiting for him to cross the blue line. And if you think star players weren't targeted, Darius targeted Mario Lemieux, and Steven's targeted anyone he could line-up, notably, Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya.

Great hit.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’m not sure about a full blown rule change. As others have said, you can’t totally take away any incentive to check someone by changing the rule to an extreme.

That said, there needs to be heavy suspensions for intent to injure with a check. It’s pretty easy to see certain players have intent to injure every game…. They are sociopaths. That is why they are always hurting guys with borderline clean hits. You can be very physical and not hurt people 15 games a year. Look at Wayne Simmonds…. He played as physical as anyone, but he wasn’t hurting guys every week either….. he had respect for the game, and for other players. Guys like Trouba do not. Until the league makes an example of guys like him, people are going to continue to get hurt worse and worse until someone dies taking a targeted hit.
There is a psychological component though and Simmonds wasn’t making anyone gun shy or thinking twice.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Not a fan of Trouba, but that's just a clean old-school type hit. We don't see that hardly ever anymore.

For those of you who didn't see the old NHL, back in the day a forward had to have some caution, as every team had at least one D looking to blow someone up like that coming over the blue line. It used to be the rule was to play the body, like Trouba did, now they play the puck. So whenever someone talks about McDavid being the best ever, consider that he doesn't have a Darius Kasparitus or Scott Stevens waiting for him to cross the blue line. And if you think star players weren't targeted, Darius targeted Mario Lemieux, and Steven's targeted anyone he could line-up, notably, Eric Lindros and Paul Kariya.

Great hit.
To be fair, I don't think any of those guys are fast enough to line up a hit on McDavid even in their prime. He'd probably still pose problems for those guys too. He's such a unique animal out there.

Trouba certainly couldn't hit him in my opinion.

But I 100% agree with what you're saying in your post. It's a solid old school hockey hit that used to be more common.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
The reason that hit is legal is because if you punished every hit that had some head contact it would significantly disincentivize hitting.

Meier is tucked over and leading with his chin. Any attempt at an open ice hit in that moment is going to have head contact.
Nope. Trouba timed that hit the second he got on the ice. He couldve let up, braced lower, or simply not hit him square in the nose and try to get less of the players center without taking a kneeing penalty. Regardless if Timo had his head down Trouba was bulldozing through his face, the fact that Timo looks down just made it a little easier.

I dont get how people are still defending Trouba. Hes been laying reckless hits for years, injury after injury. On unsuspecting players in vulnerable positions, doesnt matter if its clean or not. Hes not hitting to separate anyone from the puck hes hitting to hurt.

Great hit.
lol non of those cement skated pylons could ever line up Mcdavid. So much faster and agile than any other they ever tried to hit.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018

Jesus I don’t even know where to start here. The hits today are 1/10th of what they were before rule 48. Suspension for “intent to injure?” Just remove all checking then. They can skate around like the ASG and everyone will be super happy because no one got a hangnail and the final score was 13-12. Great idea. (Sarcasm)

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Nope. Trouba timed that hit the second he got on the ice. He couldve let up, braced lower, or simply not hit him square in the nose and try to get less of the players center without taking a kneeing penalty. Regardless if Timo had his head down Trouba was bulldozing through his face, the fact that Timo looks down just made it a little easier.

I dont get how people are still defending Trouba. Hes been laying reckless hits for years, injury after injury. On unsuspecting players in vulnerable positions, doesnt matter if its clean or not. Hes not hitting to separate anyone from the puck hes hitting to hurt.

lol non of those cement skated pylons could ever line up Mcdavid. So much faster and agile than any other they ever tried to hit.
It’s a contact sport. The “punisher”has always existed in those sports. It goes beyond hitting to hurt too. There is a psychological component involved

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018

Hall of fame defensemen= “cement skated pylons” Hahahahaha. HF at its finest.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This hit was by the book legal, no elbow, not a charge caught Meier right as he's dropping his head.

The only thing I didn't like was Igor coming over to talk shit while Meier was laying on the ice, pretty classless from him

Reactions: Curufinwe

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If this kind of hit is not against the rules, the rules should be modified.
Yeah, by the letter of the law, it's a legal hit.

Meier does have his head up. He is scanning. Trouba's hit path comes from behind/beside Meier, from the Ranger bench. He's looking to purely inflict as much damage as possible vs. free up the puck. Squares up 100% with Meier's head, not through the body.

Yeah, Meier is eligible to be hit. But being eligible to be hit shouldn't mean decapitation is on the table.

• Haha
Reactions: Curufinwe

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Jesus I don’t even know where to start here. The hits today are 1/10th of what they were before rule 48. Suspension for “intent to injure?” Just remove all checking then. They can skate around like the ASG and everyone will be super happy because no one got a hangnail and the final score was 13-12. Great idea. (Sarcasm)
That’s where you are wrong. I grew up playing in the 80s and 90s…. I know exactly what it was like playing high level hockey back then. There are still plenty of physical contact and checking in todays game….. what you don’t see is the blatant runs at guys with intent to knock them out…… and quite frankly, I’m ok with it. I used to love the Kasparitis, Stevens type Dmen back in the day…. But I grew up and realized that there is checking to play the game, and trying to injure a guy. I’m not OK with the latter.
As others have also said, Trouba could have eased up at the end of that hit….. still would have knocked Meier off the puck, still would have knocked him over too….. but probably doesn’t give him a concussion though……. But he wanted to give him a concussion…. He’s a sociopath.

Reactions: norrisnick

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That’s where you are wrong. I grew up playing in the 80s and 90s…. I know exactly what it was like playing high level hockey back then. There are still plenty of physical contact and checking in todays game….. what you don’t see is the blatant runs at guys with intent to knock them out…… and quite frankly, I’m ok with it. I used to love the Kasparitis, Stevens type Dmen back in the day…. But I grew up and realized that there is checking to play the game, and trying to injure a guy. I’m not OK with the latter.
As others have also said, Trouba could have eased up at the end of that hit….. still would have knocked Meier off the puck, still would have knocked him over too….. but probably doesn’t give him a concussion though……. But he wanted to give him a concussion…. He’s a sociopath.
Where am I wrong? Hits were way more boilent before rule 48. Where is “intent to injure” defined? By the refs? Who by and large are incompetent? If “intent to injure” is put in the rule book there will be exactly zero open ice hits. No one will make one for fear of 5+ game+ possible fine/suspension. So you might as well take checking out of the game at that point. We’re almost there now.

Reactions: sepster

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Bunting barely touches Cernak in the Leafs/Lightning series who was also leaning down which allowed his head to get clipped equals 3 game suspension. Trouba purposely goes for the hit on Meier equals fine with not even a penalty. Makes perfect sense. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Personally I think both hits were fine, but its clear refs and the league don't judge things equally in a balanced manner.

Wtf are you on? Bunting jumped and elbowed Cernak in the face. Trouba went straight through Timo with his shoulder down.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
As much as I dislike Trouba and think he’s been a perpetrator of some greasy hits in the past, I don’t know what else he’s supposed to do in this situation. He doesnt bring his arm up, doesn’t leave his feet, doesn’t elevate through the check, doesn’t blindside him and doesn’t take a big run at the guy. Timo is the one with all the momentum, skating in a dangerous area with his head down and he skates right into Trouba. He has to be more aware in that situation. Unfortunate result for him but these are big strong guys moving at speed, you gotta keep your head up, especially in that area, he knows better and I’m sure he’s learned his lesson.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think overall is a clean hit, also think this is 100% predatory. Not sure how you make a rule on this one. Seems like there is head contact.

Trouba strikes me as a guy looking to injure.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The hit was legal....the rule should be changed....

The NFL now flags players for hitting receivers who are playing the ball and vulnerable... The NHL should protect puck carriers if they want skilled players to played high skill hockey IMO.

International hockey penalized ANY contact to the head no matter what

Reactions: Czechboy

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Looked clean to me. I don't know what he is supposed to hit when the player has their head down going into the zone. That only looks bad because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad