Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
ryan strome just signed. and that's how hard deadlines work. unfortunately it wont be till dec.15 for trouba. nyi have this right. no questions at tc on why hasn't strome signed yet.

But he only signed a bridge deal (which may or may not be what they wanted). I'm of the school that a long term deal is better than not though, especially if he is a piece for the future. They might have been able to hammer one out if there wasn't a hard limit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But he only signed a bridge deal (which may or may not be what they wanted). I'm of the school that a long term deal is better than not though, especially if he is a piece for the future. They might have been able to hammer one out if there wasn't a hard limit.

The Islanders also seem to have a bridge only policy for their young guys coming off their entry level deals unless your name is Tavares it seems.

Plus if Trouba is out post Dec 15th he's sitting the entire year.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
The Islanders also seem to have a bridge only policy for their young guys coming off their entry level deals unless your name is Tavares it seems.

Yea that's league wide. The Islanders have a lot of policies it seems. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ryan strome just signed. and that's how hard deadlines work. unfortunately it wont be till dec.15 for trouba. nyi have this right. no questions at tc on why hasn't strome signed yet.

What does this have to do with their hard deadline? They have not arrived at it yet so it means nothing to this deal.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I hope Overhardt doesn't read this post. The RFA signing deadline is Dec 1st

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
What does this have to do with their hard deadline? They have not arrived at it yet so it means nothing to this deal.

I think he was just suggesting that if the Jets had a similar self-imposed "hard deadline", Trouba would be signed around now.

I think all of this posturing by the Islanders is going to backfire some day.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You dont think the deadline in a couple of days had anything with him signing today

Is the deadline the start of TC or the start of the season? Not sure. Either way, no. If a player/agent is playing at threatening to hold out it continues until the last minute. 2 days is the same as 2 weeks. It only takes 5 minutes to actually sign the contract. In a game of chicken does one car break off when they are 2 blocks apart? Oh well, I know I'm going to do it soon anyway. What's the difference? No. You stretch it out as long as possible to see if the other guy will move first.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is the deadline the start of TC or the start of the season? Not sure. Either way, no. If a player/agent is playing at threatening to hold out it continues until the last minute. 2 days is the same as 2 weeks. It only takes 5 minutes to actually sign the contract. In a game of chicken does one car break off when they are 2 blocks apart? Oh well, I know I'm going to do it soon anyway. What's the difference? No. You stretch it out as long as possible to see if the other guy will move first.

Miss training camp and lose out on those NHL perdiems? :sarcasm:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Worlds are over. Time to start the Trouba contract discussions in ernest. Not a great world's, but I still give him 7 x 5.5

6x4.5 based on comparables and play. or a bridge to prove in 2 years he is worth more. over 5 is a pipedream. I keep coming back to morgan reilly he is not getting more than that. jones contract was a 1 off they had to sign him within a few days or he might have gotten offersheeted.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
6x4.5 based on comparables and play. or a bridge to prove in 2 years he is worth more. over 5 is a pipedream. I keep coming back to morgan reilly he is not getting more than that. jones contract was a 1 off they had to sign him within a few days or he might have gotten offersheeted.

Just because one player signs a below market value contract doesn't mean that every play will do so

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just because one player signs a below market value contract doesn't mean that every play will do so

Agreed. The market has been set to some extent but that doesn't mean that Overhardt doesn't push for the higher end. I'm more than fine if Chevy pays a bit of a premium to get this done. We are arguably as well placed as any organization against the cap. 6-8 years of a happy and confident Trouba at a little over today's market rate may seem like a gift from the cap gods in a couple years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Worlds are over. Time to start the Trouba contract discussions in ernest. Not a great world's, but I still give him 7 x 5.5

Agree. He might not be the best young stud defenseman, but he's ours. He's good enough to carry that role.

6 x 5.25
7 x 5.50
8 x 5.75

:nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. He might not be the best young stud defenseman, but he's ours. He's good enough to carry that role.

6 x 5.25
7 x 5.50
8 x 5.75

Hopefully his agent is briefing him on the current situation and he's inked in the next day or so.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed. The market has been set to some extent but that doesn't mean that Overhardt doesn't push for the higher end. I'm more than fine if Chevy pays a bit of a premium to get this done. We are arguably as well placed as any organization against the cap. 6-8 years of a happy and confident Trouba at a little over today's market rate may seem like a gift from the cap gods in a couple years.

I completely agree. Trouba brings a lot of good elements in his game, and will be a minute-munching D for a long time. Sign him long-term, even if you pay a bit above what some see as "market value" and move forward.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

I guess klingberg josi krug larsson maata dumba cici faulk ellis and others all took discounts. The average for his peers is under 5 a year for a long term contract. Only a handful have gotten over 5 comming off a elc.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

6 x 5.25
7 x 5.50
8 x 5.75

I think you are dead on with the 6 years. But I think an 8 year deal hits $6 M. 8 X 6 slots Trouba in behind Scheif and locks him up until he is 30 y/o. Still lots of room under the cap with the money coming off over the next few years to lock up the other young studs as they come off their ELC's.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think you are dead on with the 6 years. But I think an 8 year deal hits $6 M. 8 X 6 slots Trouba in behind Scheif and locks him up until he is 30 y/o. Still lots of room under the cap with the money coming off over the next few years to lock up the other young studs as they come off their ELC's.

I think you might be right about the 8 year. I pegged him at $6M or a bit less for 8 years earlier, but have come down a bit based on him getting a bit of a bump down in estimation during the WCH.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you might be right about the 8 year. I pegged him at $6M or a bit less for 8 years earlier, but have come down a bit based on him getting a bit of a bump down in estimation during the WCH.

I just hope it gets done in there somewhere. I'm really glad Trouba got a chance to play at the WCoH as IMO it proved he is on the same tier as these other top young d-man. And there are very few of them. When you have one it is a special thing and you need to get it under lock and key. Especially with our thin prospect line on defense, losing a 22 y/o future top pairing guy would be a huge blow to our future.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well things have been very quite and I like that. Worlds are over and camp is starting so I think we will get an answer in the next few weeks. I don't sense they will hold out into the season (100% guessing). We have to remember Trouba isn't alone here......Lindholm, Johnny Hockey, Risto are all huge names waiting for deals.

I remain optimistic a deal will get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad