Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree with all of this. Chevy should go to Trouba and say, "We believe in you. Here's a 7 year, $5.75m/yr contract. Now go and show the NHL that you're one of the best young D in the league."

Did you do the math on that Whileee? If Chevy says 'they don't think you are as good as Rielly. We believe you are. Here's the same contract Rielly got plus a bonus 7th year' then that 7th year is paying 10.25 mil!!!! How about paying ~7 mil for that additional year? 6x5 + 7 = 37 total = 5.285714 mil AAV. or a little more generous .... 6x5.25 +7 = 38.5 = 5.5 AAV.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did you do the math on that Whileee? If Chevy says 'they don't think you are as good as Rielly. We believe you are. Here's the same contract Rielly got plus a bonus 7th year' then that 7th year is paying 10.25 mil!!!! How about paying ~7 mil for that additional year? 6x5 + 7 = 37 total = 5.285714 mil AAV. or a little more generous .... 6x5.25 +7 = 38.5 = 5.5 AAV.

I think $5.75M is a bit rich today, but I think it'll be well worth the salary very soon. Hamilton got $5.75 over 6 years. Jones got $5.4m over 6 years. I'm not convinced that Trouba isn't as good as either of those two. I think Rielly gave a sweet deal to the Leafs (to play in the "Hockey Mecca"), and Maatta has had some serious injury concerns. I'm okay with the Jets playing Trouba a bit more than Myers, especially if they can get favourable terms on the NM / NTC front and with respect to lock-out protection. Maybe $5.75M is a bit high, but it fits fine with the Jets' salary structure and they'll be able to afford it. I think it will be a very fair deal over the life of the contract. Jets should show that they take care of their core young players, and I think we can't forget how "core" Trouba actually is.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think $5.75M is a bit rich today, but I think it'll be well worth the salary very soon. Hamilton got $5.75 over 6 years. Jones got $5.4m over 6 years. I'm not convinced that Trouba isn't as good as either of those two. I think Rielly gave a sweet deal to the Leafs (to play in the "Hockey Mecca"), and Maatta has had some serious injury concerns. I'm okay with the Jets playing Trouba a bit more than Myers, especially if they can get favourable terms on the NM / NTC front and with respect to lock-out protection. Maybe $5.75M is a bit high, but it fits fine with the Jets' salary structure and they'll be able to afford it. I think it will be a very fair deal over the life of the contract. Jets should show that they take care of their core young players, and I think we can't forget how "core" Trouba actually is.

5.75 seems way too expensive to me. If I were Chevy, I wouldn't go above 5.25

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
The Jets are Trouba's agent are still talking; he expects a deal will be done.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...e-in-jets-lineup-opening-night-393553661.html
(subscriber protected)

He also wrote this:

Now, there’s still lots of wiggle room in that "not in my mind" statement by Trouba. Is he saying, for instance, that he has no doubt he’s going to sign a new contract with the Jets prior to the start of the season? Or, is he saying he can only speak for himself — that he’s got the will, but doesn’t know whether the Jets do, too?

As for the Free Press, it's "protected" about as well as the original Videon pay-tv signal, which you could de-scramble with a length of antenna wire. Picture was a bit grainy, but no worse than watching TV in the pre-cable days when a bad storm was in the area. :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I would read that statement as "I don't want to talk to the press about it". Could mean anything.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

Pretty lukewarm sentiments there. Why would you be so willing to give him more $$$ than those two? "I'm not convinced he isn't as good as player X so let's give him more than player X" sounds like poor logic to this reader.

Trouba's value is well established and I hope that we don't overpay him just to get a deal done. That'll only make future negotiations tougher: "If you were willing to overpay Trouba then you should also overpay my client, player Y".

I'm wondering if some prior overpays are biting Chevy in the ass in these Trouba negotiations. Overhardt could well be saying "look how much you paid anchors like Stuart, Pavelec, and Thorburn - my client is worth more than both of them combined and should be paid as such".

Hold the door, Chevy. Hold the door. Holdthedoor. Holddoor. Holdor. Hodor. Hodor. Hodon. Holden. Holden.

You get the idea.

m.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I get all that but disagree that Rielly gave a discount. I think Hamilton got too much. I still expect it to end up being a 2 year bridge. Not my preference but what I think is most likely. My preference would be 6 years for 29-31 mil total. I expect a signing soon after the WCH ends, one way or another.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If Trouba is given a 8X7 million dollar contract I expect he will be in the line-up on opening night. That was easy.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty lukewarm sentiments there. Why would you be so willing to give him more $$$ than those two? "I'm not convinced he isn't as good as player X so let's give him more than player X" sounds like poor logic to this reader.

Trouba's value is well established and I hope that we don't overpay him just to get a deal done. That'll only make future negotiations tougher: "If you were willing to overpay Trouba then you should also overpay my client, player Y".

I'm wondering if some prior overpays are biting Chevy in the ass in these Trouba negotiations. Overhardt could well be saying "look how much you paid anchors like Stuart, Pavelec, and Thorburn - my client is worth more than both of them combined and should be paid as such".

Hold the door, Chevy. Hold the door. Holdthedoor. Holddoor. Holdor. Hodor. Hodor. Hodon. Holden. Holden.

You get the idea.

m.

Just trying to follow your reasoning. So your contention is that Overhardt will use a 4th line plug's contract as a comparable demanding that his client also be over paid? Does Chevy then point to Little's $4.7 M contract and say look I've been under paying my top center for the last couple years so I should under pay your client? How about Wheeler's $5.6 M contract? He is the captain and one of his 3 best players and is on an absolute steal of a deal? Does Overhardt then counter with look how really bad Pav's contract is, you should over pay my client by several million a season?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
As for the Free Press, it's "protected" about as well as the original Videon pay-tv signal, which you could de-scramble with a length of antenna wire. Picture was a bit grainy, but no worse than watching TV in the pre-cable days when a bad storm was in the area. :laugh:

No way, I can't even read my Grandma's obit, they have it locked down. But I clicked and read the Trouba article. How did you do that?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think it's just a smart reply by a young hockey player that recognizes there's a lot of tension, real or imagined, around his contract situation. He didn't commit to anything really at all but nor did he dump another log on the fire of "he doesn't want to play here omg omg omg!!!111!!!!

Well played, young Mr. Trouba, well played.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just trying to follow your reasoning. So your contention is that Overhardt will use a 4th line plug's contract as a comparable demanding that his client also be over paid? Does Chevy then point to Little's $4.7 M contract and say look I've been under paying my top center for the last couple years so I should under pay your client? How about Wheeler's $5.6 M contract? He is the captain and one of his 3 best players and is on an absolute steal of a deal? Does Overhardt then counter with look how really bad Pav's contract is, you should over pay my client by several million a season?

If they are looking at the Jets' roster, they'll see....

Buff $7.6M
Enstrom $5.75M
Myers $5.50M

For a 7-8 year deal, you could see them looking at something in the Myers+ area.

Of course, that needs to be tempered by the wider market, which would pull the AAV down a bit.

I still think....

6 x 5.25M (between Rielly and Jones)
7 x 5.50M (Jones plus an extra year at $6.1M)
8 x 5.75M (Jones plus 2 x $6.8M)

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Buff $7.6M
Enstrom $5.75M
Myers $5.50M

For a 7-8 year deal, you could see them looking at something in the Myers+ area.

Of course, that needs to be tempered by the wider market, which would pull the AAV down a bit.

I still think....

That is probably a fairly realistic take on the matter, though it also probably isn't in line with what some of the "sky is falling" crowd here would wish to acknowledge.

:clittle:

peg

Jul 8, 2010

Buff $7.6M
Enstrom $5.75M
Myers $5.50M

I still think....

Keep in mind that the Jets did not pay Myers big signing bonus. That was on Buffalo. The Jets acquired Myers for an average salary of $3.875M per year through the end of his contract.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Keep in mind that the Jets did not pay Myers big signing bonus. That was on Buffalo. The Jets acquired Myers for an average salary of $3.875M per year through the end of his contract.

I'm pretty sure that they will look mainly at the AAV. They aren't going to be negotiating around actual salaries on back-diving contracts.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was a bit surprised the writer of this article, Paul Wiecek continues to report that Trouba asked for $7million x 8 last December.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...e-in-jets-lineup-opening-night-393553661.html

"Trouba said he couldn’t talk specifics on money or term, although the Free Press reported last December Trouba was demanding $7 million a season over the league maximum eight year term.

If those numbers are accurate — or at least were at the time — that would suggest Trouba is already valuing himself in the same class as such elite defencemen as Los Angeles Kings blueliner Drew Doughty."

If the player, his agent & the team deny the story, should it still be referenced in a later story?

This entire story is garbage with Wiecek appearing to be in a snit that his first inquiry for an interview was met with a no.

Trouba has already stated his mind is on the tournament & not on his contract, but Wiecek "chased Trouba around the continent" for a second interview which was granted only to then start asking questions on a taboo subject.

It's also nice to seeing him finish his article getting a few low blows in that Trouba has extra insurance out in case of injury but that "no one gets hurt sitting in the press box" & that "talk is cheap until he plays."

Paul Wiecek is now my 2nd most hated member of the Winnipeg media, but has along ways to go to catch up with right wing attack dog Charles Adler.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was a bit surprised the writer of this article, Paul Wiecek continues to report that Trouba asked for $7million x 8 last December.

"Trouba said he couldn’t talk specifics on money or term, although the Free Press reported last December Trouba was demanding $7 million a season over the league maximum eight year term.

If those numbers are accurate — or at least were at the time — that would suggest Trouba is already valuing himself in the same class as such elite defencemen as Los Angeles Kings blueliner Drew Doughty."

If the player, his agent & the team deny the story, should it still be referenced in a later story?

This entire story is garbage with Wiecek appearing to be in a snit that his first inquiry for an interview was met with a no.

Trouba has already stated his mind is on the tournament & not on his contract, but Wiecek "chased Trouba around the continent" for a second interview which was granted only to start asking questions on a taboo subject.

It's also nice to seeing him finish his article getting a few low blows in that Trouba has extra insurance out in case of injury but that "no one gets hurt sitting in the press box" & that "talk is cheap until he plays."

Paul Wiecek is now my 2nd most hated member of the Winnipeg media, but has along ways to go to catch up with right wing attack dog Charles Adler.

I don't mind good "investigative" reporting, but somehow Wiekek mostly comes off as having some sort of chip on his shoulder. Maybe he thinks that's going to be his schtick, but f you want to be "hard-nosed", then call out Campbell for the goof-ball article he wrote, too.

FishWhiskey

Jul 31, 2016

I think what an Overhardt sees is a GM who was weak in negotiations in the past with Pavs and Stu and will try to bully Chevy into caving again. Chevy seemed to have learned from those past mistakes and did not blink in the Ladd negotiation and got Sheifs signed to a win win contract but Overhardt is notorious for being one of the filthiest negotiators in the business and getting Trouba signed is going to be a real test of his nerve.

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
I think what an Overhardt sees is a GM who was weak in negotiations in the past with Pavs and Stu and will try to bully Chevy into caving again. Chevy seemed to have learned from those past mistakes and did not blink in the Ladd negotiation and got Sheifs signed to a win win contract but Overhardt is notorious for being one of the filthiest negotiators in the business and getting Trouba signed is going to be a real test of his nerve.

every negotiation is different.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Every team in the league has contracts as bad or worse than Stuart's and Pavelec's.

Does that mean that ruthless agents are going to bully every other team as well? If so, maybe it has more to do with the agents than Pavelec or Stuart.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It has to $6 million a year. Blame the Oilers, they were handing out those $6 million contracts like they were candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad