Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Last summer it was more of "like to try it, not sure which one moves to the left" It seems more certain and decided now.

True but there never seemed to be any committment to the idea until quite late in the season.

Edit:Not suggesting it isn't going to happen. Only that I don't put any weight on that statement from Maurice.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
True but there never seemed to be any committment to the idea until quite late in the season.

Edit:Not suggesting it isn't going to happen. Only that I don't put any weight on that statement from Maurice.

I'm not sure why the end of the season has no meaning. It's more relevant to this season than the beginning.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Trouba may want to play the right side, and I hope that Chevy trades Myers to make it happen, as Trouba is better than Myers and his cap hit could be better used elsewhere.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Trouba may want to play the right side, and I hope that Chevy trades Myers to make it happen, as Trouba is better than Myers and his cap hit could be better used elsewhere.

maybe he's not happy being 2nd fiddle to buff. get rid of buff instead. lots of cap space there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure why the end of the season has no meaning. It's more relevant to this season than the beginning.

Where did I say that?

It is pronouncements from Maurice that have no meaning. I believe what he does, not what he says.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Where did I say that?

It is pronouncements from Maurice that have no meaning. I believe what he does, not what he says.

What he did was play Trouba on the left side most recently when Myers was in the lineup. There's no reason to think it's gonna change. You're defeating your own argument

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What he did was play Trouba on the left side most recently when Myers was in the lineup. There's no reason to think it's gonna change. You're defeating your own argument

NO! NO! NO!

I did not say it was not going to happen. It has already happened and almost certainly will continue.

We have been discussing this for months, if not years. All of a sudden some people say we can now accept that it will happen BECAUSE MAURICE MADE SOME STATEMENT TO THAT EFFECT. Maurice's statement means nothing. Just like everything else he says. It changed nothing. Trouba is going to play the left side. We knew that before Maurice's statement. We don't know it any more after than we did before.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
NO! NO! NO!

I did not say it was not going to happen. It has already happened and almost certainly will continue.

We have been discussing this for months, if not years. All of a sudden some people say we can now accept that it will happen BECAUSE MAURICE MADE SOME STATEMENT TO THAT EFFECT. Maurice's statement means nothing. Just like everything else he says. It changed nothing. Trouba is going to play the left side. We knew that before Maurice's statement. We don't know it any more after than we did before.

Then what was the point of your post refuting the likelihood of Trouba playing the left side?

That is how your post came across.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Then what was the point of your post refuting the likelihood of Trouba playing the left side?

That is how your post came across.

I can see that. Therefore the edit to that post.

My post was directed at the idea that Maurice's statement adds weight to the idea that Trouba will play the left side. It doesn't, but he is most likely going to play the left side.

We already knew that but some people didn't seem ready to believe it until they heard it from Maurice. If you were doubtful before you should be just as doubtful now. That doesn't mean I am in doubt. :)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
So Mo's playing Trouba on the left side. The real question is, can Stu adapt? And play the right?

:sarcasm:

His scouting report said that he had more skill on the right side...but th trucluence, toughness and girt he displayed on the left was too good to pass up.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Islanders will suspend strome for full year if not signed by training camp. Jets should follow suit. Good hard deadline and no distractions for the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Islanders will suspend strome for full year if not signed by training camp. Jets should follow suit. Good hard deadline and no distractions for the team.

I'm not sure that sort of rule is the wisest approach. In some ways it puts as much pressure on the NHL team as it does on the player. No NHL team would want to have a key young core player sitting for an entire season. Not only do they lose their contribution for that season, they also have to be concerned about the impact on long-term development, not to mention the fraying of relationships between the player and the team. I think it's a better approach to use the natural pressures that emerge as time progresses. Once a young player like Trouba starts to miss paycheques he'll have more motivation to sign. Similarly, if the Jets are really missing his presence on the blue line, they'll have pressure to sign him. As those pressures balance out a deal should be achievable.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm not sure that sort of rule is the wisest approach. In some ways it puts as much pressure on the NHL team as it does on the player. No NHL team would want to have a key young core player sitting for an entire season. Not only do they lose their contribution for that season, they also have to be concerned about the impact on long-term development, not to mention the fraying of relationships between the player and the team. I think it's a better approach to use the natural pressures that emerge as time progresses. Once a young player like Trouba starts to miss paycheques he'll have more motivation to sign. Similarly, if the Jets are really missing his presence on the blue line, they'll have pressure to sign him. As those pressures balance out a deal should be achievable.

Agreed. Losing our second best D-man for a full season while getting nothing in return just because it supposedly shows that the Jets management are not to be trifled with comes across as, at the very best, overly rigid.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I agree. Suspending him before TC is stupid. Obviously hold out until he signs...but to premptively suspend him would be stupid.

Negotiations must be geying nasty over there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree. Suspending him before TC is stupid. Obviously hold out until he signs...but to premptively suspend him would be stupid.

Negotiations must be geying nasty over there.

My understanding is that it's a "standing rule" with the Isles. My guess is that the deadline does force the sides to negotiate a settlement, but I wonder whether it might result in less than optimum agreements, especially with young players. I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
My understanding is that it's a "standing rule" with the Isles. My guess is that the deadline does force the sides to negotiate a settlement, but I wonder whether it might result in less than optimum agreements, especially with young players. I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Its a good policy but can't be implemented now. Eliminates gong shows after tc starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad