Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Its a good policy but can't be implemented now. Eliminates gong shows after tc starts.

Suspending a valuable player all year because they refuse to be lowballed in contract negotiations sounds like a good way to have tons of distractions during TC and particularly during the season if the team ever slips in their play.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Suspending a valuable player all year because they refuse to be lowballed in contract negotiations sounds like a good way to have tons of distractions during TC and particularly during the season if the team ever slips in their play.

It happens automatically dec 1 by CBA. What's the difference if the deadline is dec 1 or sept 15? In theory you end up in the same place in negotiations in time for the player to attend TC. I don't have a problem with it TBH. I wonder if they would have the guts to do it with a high profile player though.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Why would a team sabotage their own player.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I'm not sure that sort of rule is the wisest approach. In some ways it puts as much pressure on the NHL team as it does on the player. No NHL team would want to have a key young core player sitting for an entire season. Not only do they lose their contribution for that season, they also have to be concerned about the impact on long-term development, not to mention the fraying of relationships between the player and the team. I think it's a better approach to use the natural pressures that emerge as time progresses. Once a young player like Trouba starts to miss paycheques he'll have more motivation to sign. Similarly, if the Jets are really missing his presence on the blue line, they'll have pressure to sign him. As those pressures balance out a deal should be achievable.

I don't like the rule that the Isles have in place either. What benefit arises from artificially moving up a deadline? There's the CBA dictated deadline in December - having a team policy moving it up accomplishes nothing.

With that said I have no problem with having the team stand firm if they're offering a solid deal and the player is demanding more than they are, objectively speaking, worth. There are future dividends to be realized for the team if the team stands firm now.

I've said it before: I like the idea of the Jets' management team having a reputation of being a force not to be trifled with. If some kid fresh off his ELC in 2022 wants to get greedy it'll be good if his agent can point to an instance where the Jets stood firm and let a prior player rot in the KHL rather than sign a bad (for the team) contract.

Of course I'm sure that Overhardt is pointing to the Stuart and Pavelec contracts right now...

m.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There's the CBA dictated deadline in December - having a team policy moving it up accomplishes nothing.

I'm not positive that I agree with the Islanders policy, but I understand the benefit of it. Players want to focus on the game and their role with the team. A tight dressing room is more likely to win games, more likely to work harder for the guy next to them. Having Trouba sitting out with the uncertainty of when or if he's coming back would be a major distraction to everyone. I think last season a big reason why we were a basement team was the distraction of having the captain negotiating an extension, then being in limbo until he was traded.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not positive that I agree with the Islanders policy, but I understand the benefit of it. Players want to focus on the game and their role with the team. A tight dressing room is more likely to win games, more likely to work harder for the guy next to them. Having Trouba sitting out with the uncertainty of when or if he's coming back would be a major distraction to everyone. I think last season a big reason why we were a basement team was the distraction of having the captain negotiating an extension, then being in limbo until he was traded.

I think the players appreciate the business side of the game. Every season there are multiple players across the league involved in hard negotiations. The Jets were not alone in having their captain in limbo as a UFA. Tampa and St. Louis come to mind off the top of my head. Not a fan of the NYI policy as much as I'd like Trouba signed.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What moving the deadline does is effectively remove the holdout from a player/agent arsenal. It would be brazen to try and test the resolve of Snow on the issue. It could cost you a season in the NHL. Loss of pay, loss of a year towards UFA.

It's exactly what the Dec 1 deadline does. It forces a resolution. The consequences are more harsh for the player than the team.

A high profile player, if for instance Taveres had tried to hold out coming off his ELC, may have tested the Isles resolve.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Morrissey breaks through and Myers has recovered well, it could be possible that at some point before December, Chevy sees that the defense works fine as it is, and then he'll let Trouba either sign for what Chevy wants, or just simply make him lose the year completely. I don't see that happening though, because it would be just stupid for Trouba to even consider holding out. He is shooting himself in the foot big time.

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
maybe he's not happy being 2nd fiddle to buff. get rid of buff instead. lots of cap space there

Reminds me of the Redden/Chara situation except that Trouba isnt as established a player as Redden was. Anybody who considers themselves an avid hockey fan knows how that turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If Morrissey breaks through and Myers has recovered well, it could be possible that at some point before December, Chevy sees that the defense works fine as it is, and then he'll let Trouba either sign for what Chevy wants, or just simply make him lose the year completely. I don't see that happening though, because it would be just stupid for Trouba to even consider holding out. He is shooting himself in the foot big time.

When essentially everything contained within this thread is speculation, should we really be talking in absolutes?

The Ducks have a lot more to worry about than the Jets do. They are in negotiations with two high profile RFA's (Lindholm + Rakell) & only have $7.5 million in cap space to do so.

Many speculate that Trouba's camp is waiting for the Ducks to sign Lindholm & to use that contract as a comparable.

Heck, maybe Chevy is waiting for this same contract. The Ducks appear to be in cap trouble & might be lowballing Lindholm. If that happens wouldn't that be to Chevy's advantage? Lindholm said as much in a recent interview where he used the term "Skambud" in reference to his current negotiations & stated he wanted to sign at market value so as not to affect other players negotiations.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Whatever the resolution, it needs to be completed before the start of the season. IMO, we do not need another season of having a contract distraction.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
He won't sign until after he's done at the WC. It is what it is.

EaPL6mi.gif

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
NA is going to be fun to watch but super inconsistent. A bit glad Trouba probably won't make the starting lineup each game - less chance he gets hurt and he might be more fired up for the season to start here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
NA is going to be fun to watch but super inconsistent. A bit glad Trouba probably won't make the starting lineup each game - less chance he gets hurt and he might be more fired up for the season to start here.

Agree with all of this. Chevy should go to Trouba and say, "We believe in you. Here's a 7 year, $5.75m/yr contract. Now go and show the NHL that you're one of the best young D in the league."

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
The Jets are Trouba's agent are still talking; he expects a deal will be done.

"But don’t panic, Jets fans, because Trouba does not sound like a guy readying for an imminent holdout when I ask him the only question that really matters right now: Is there any doubt in his mind he will be in the Jets lineup when they open their regular season next month?

"Not in my mind," Trouba told me here at Consol Energy Center Wednesday night following North America’s 3-2 loss to the Czech Republic in what was the final pre-tournament game for both teams at the World Cup of Hockey.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...e-in-jets-lineup-opening-night-393553661.html
(subscriber protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad