Speculation: Trouba Contract Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
4.7 is an over pay, but you want things done fast and to leave a good taste.

There are to many players now days it seems that want big deals and they haven't won anything except for the Hope and Dreams of fans wishing their favorite player is going to be All That and a Bag of...chips

Just might have to start fresh and Risto really did look good on a bad Finish team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
4.7 is an over pay, but you want things done fast and to leave a good taste.

There are to many players now days it seems that want big deals and they haven't won anything except for the Hope and Dreams of fans wishing their favorite player is going to be All That and a Bag of...chips

Just might have to start fresh and Risto really did look good on a bad Finish team.

4.7 on a 2 year deal would have ever GM calling Chevy and chastising him for driving the market up on bridge deals. There's no way that happens. The market is set.

Murray 2 x $2.85M is the current standard.

$4.7- $5.0M is market on a 6 yr deal.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Any team that Trouba goes to would re-do his contract anyway; for long term, the over pay makes it easy to get started.

Something has to happen, sad fact.

Since the 1st year hype, we all knew this was coming, But, the things and situations that followed were not expected from either side... Now the Jets and Trouba's business side are firm in their stances it seems.

Trouba's use in the WCH also show's he not looked at as the great future D-man; as once seen as in his 1st year.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Any team that Trouba goes to would re-do his contract anyway; for long term, the over pay makes it easy to get started.

Why would he go to another team?

Chevy would still make every other GM in the league hopping mad at him for that deal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
4.7 on a 2 year deal would have ever GM calling Chevy and chastising him for driving the market up on bridge deals. There's no way that happens. The market is set.

Murray 2 x $2.85M is the current standard.

$4.7- $5.0M is market on a 6 yr deal.

No way any GM signs a player to a 2 year bridge at $4.7 AAV. Why pay UFA retail on an RFA short term without getting the benefit back of long term cost certainty? You're just needlessly driving up salaries in a depressed cap era.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
The Jets would seem to be close to the bubble for playoffs. Playoffs are worth a few millions to the Jets. It's a business decision.

A terrible business decision.

Just hold firm. On Dec 1 Overhardt will be begging to sign on Chevy's terms so he doesn't look like a fool.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A terrible business decision.

Just hold firm. On Dec 1 Overhardt will be begging to sign on Chevy's terms so he doesn't look like a fool.

Yea its market rate or sit IMO. I am not concerned if he misses camp. Promtness for getting to camp is less important this year for guys that were at the World Cup. I could see the negociations going up to the start of the season driven by either side including TNSE. Trouba knows the system and is plug and play in the top 4....he has been through a great training camp already and he is probably more ready this season than ever.

"It's a process" and so far Jacob is in good company. I predict he signs just before the season starts and has his best year as a Jet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba can stay home all year for a 6 million price tag and then he can stay home the year after that as well.

I'd rather watch his career die, while he sits at home and send the message to agents like Overhardt that the Jets can't be bullied than grossly overpay a player.

I get the "I want the Jets to take a tough stand" thought process. But IMO the Jets absolutely need Trouba or an equally talented young defenseman for future success. He is a 22 y/o minimum top 4 guy well on his way to be a minute eating top pairing guy who moves the puck very well and plays with an edge. There are very few players like this around and they are virtually impossible to acquire post draft.

I'm choosing to believe (hope) we get a deal done soon and we see Trouba within the week.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Feb 24, 2015
This is fascinating on a sense.
Negotiations like this will soon show us what was really at stake.
We will probably never know what each side caved on.
I still say a bridge ultimately

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we see a 6-8 year, 5.25 - 5.75M deal. I'm hoping it's on the longer end of that scale.

That does seem where the board consensus has drifted to. I just want it done. I'm very optimistic for this season but includes young Jacob.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think we see a 6-8 year, 5.25 - 5.75M deal. I'm hoping it's on the longer end of that scale.

I'm a fan of his but his play does not warrant that kind of money not by a long shot. change the 5 to a 4. the vast majority of his peers are under 5. I cant see chevy paying anything over 5 on a 6 year deal. he is not getting more than morgan reilly. people wont like this but Larsson to me is his closest compareable. maybe he is a little better so in the 4.5 range but that's it.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm a fan of his but his play does not warrant that kind of money not by a long shot. change the 5 to a 4. the vast majority of his peers are under 5. I cant see chevy paying anything over 5 on a 6 year deal. he is not getting more than morgan reilly. people wont like this but Larsson to me is his closest compareable. maybe he is a little better so in the 4.5 range but that's it.

IMO, his play does warrant it, unless you're only looking at boxcar stats. If we see a long term deal, I highly suspect we'll see it in that range.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IMO, his play does warrant it, unless you're only looking at boxcar stats. If we see a long term deal, I highly suspect we'll see it in that range.

I agree as well. I'm really glad he got to play in the WCoH as IMO he proved he belonged with the top handful of young defenseman.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

i'll just say this if you put aside all the rumors of what he might be asking for. the waters rumors the overhardt rumors and every other rumor and just look at the compareables and his play over the last 3 years how can anyone say he should get more then 5 mill on a six year deal. krug klingberg reilly larrson faulk jossi ellis i'm sorry he does not deserve 1 million more than these guys.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i'll just say this if you put aside all the rumors of what he might be asking for. the waters rumors the overhardt rumors and every other rumor and just look at the compareables and his play over the last 3 years how can anyone say he should get more then 5 mill on a six year deal. krug klingberg reilly larrson faulk jossi ellis i'm sorry he does not deserve 1 million more than these guys.

Well if you take Klingberg or Faulk's deal in a vaccume then there is zero chance Hamilton is worth anywhere near what he got, same goes Jones or Rielly. There are always different circumstances for each deal but I think Jacobs comps are a pretty tight group or recent piers that didn't get bent over.

6 year:

Rielly-Hamilton-Jones-Lindholm

Bridge:

Murray-Ceci

7 or 8 year none that I am aware of.

Ok so there is an argument Jacob is currently the coldest of his 6 year pier group but the gap is much closer than the HFboards what have you done for me lately crowd think.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Well if you take Klingberg or Faulk's deal in a vaccume then there is zero chance Hamilton is worth anywhere near what he got, same goes Jones or Rielly. There are always different circumstances for each deal but I think Jacobs comps are a pretty tight group or recent piers that didn't get bent over.

6 year:

Rielly-Hamilton-Jones-Lindholm

Bridge:

Murray-Ceci

7 or 8 year none that I am aware of.

Ok so there is an argument Jacob is currently the coldest of his 6 year pier group but the gap is much closer than the HFboards what have you done for me lately crowd think.

Ekblad did 8
Klingberg did 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad