Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'm surprised there hasn't been any smoke about an offer sheet to Jarvis. Not that Carolina can't match or anything, but it could seriously hurt them to sign/trade Drury (won't cost much) and Necas. A team could go up to 9M and only give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd and they would only have about 2M left.

Drury and Necas filed for arbitration so they can't be offer sheeted.
Forcing his way to Toronto. (Since I failed on wishing Dobson to Toronto into existence, it’s time to move onto #2)

Last edited by a moderator:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That was arguably the last best chance at a top pair RD, legit guy.

Weegar was also apparently nearly had for Johnsson/Dermott.

Pietrangelo vs trading Kerfoot, passing on Brodie, Simmonds, Thornton? I take the defenseman

Muzzin-Pietrangelo would have helped so much getting through the Habs and WPG.

And dont forget Hamilton. Although he is hurt, it is rare top pairing RD become available before hitting 31 and there were 2 in back to back years and the Leafs missed out big.

Best UFA RHD available by Year:

2024:
Montour
Pesce
Tanev
Roy
Walker
Dumba

2023:
Klingberg
Gudas
Dumba
Holl
Schenn

2022:
Klingberg
Lyubushkin

2021:
Hamilton
Larsson
Savard
Ceci
Hamonic

2020:
Pietrangelo
Tanev
Schultz
Shattenkirk
Barrie
Gudas
Vatanen
Stecher
Hamonic
Ceci

2019:
Myers
Stralman
Bogosian

2018:
Demelo
Polak
Schenn

2017:
Shattenkirk
Polak
Beauchemin
Franson

One or 2 of Pietrangelo, Hamilton or Tanev should have been signed in 2020-21. These guys dont grow on trees. 2020 and 2021 were truly rare opportunities that we didnt capitalize on. This was the best offseason after those 2 for RHD and glad we got 1 in Tanev. Hoping for 2. Montour could be a miss too. Will be interesting to see how he progresses but he was never in the Pietro or Hamilton tier.

Next offseason it is burns, Ekblad and Petry.

Off season after is Makar, Carlson, Trouba and Andersson.

Hopefully the 1-2 best make the market and we can grab one.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
And dont forget Hamilton. Although he is hurt, it is rare top pairing RD become available before hitting 31 and there were 2 in back to back years and the Leafs missed out big.

Best UFA RHD available by Year:

2024:
Montour
Pesce
Tanev
Roy
Walker
Dumba

2023:
Klingberg
Gudas
Dumba
Holl
Schenn

2022:
Klingberg
Lyubushkin

2021:
Hamilton
Larsson
Savard
Ceci
Hamonic

2020:
Pietrangelo
Tanev
Schultz
Shattenkirk
Barrie
Gudas
Vatanen
Stecher
Hamonic
Ceci

2019:
Myers
Stralman
Bogosian

2018:
Demelo
Polak
Schenn

2017:
Shattenkirk
Polak
Beauchemin
Franson

One or 2 of Pietrangelo, Hamilton or Tanev should have been signed in 2020-21. These guys dont grow on trees. 2020 and 2021 were truly rare opportunities that we didnt capitalize on. This was the best offseason after those 2 for RHD and glad we got 1 in Tanev. Hoping for 2. Montour could be a miss too. Will be interesting to see how he progresses but he was never in the Pietro or Hamilton tier.

Next offseason it is burns, Ekblad and Petry.

Off season after is Makar, Carlson, Trouba and Andersson.

Hopefully the 1-2 best make the market and we can grab one.
Good list and analysis, thanks. It does benefit from hindsight though. Tanev was coming off some injury filled seasons and he seemed to be a risk. I am not sure either of Pietrangelo or Hamilton ever wanted to play in TO.

Looking forward, it seems like old guys (Burns, Carlson, Trouba) , young guys that won't make it to free agency (Makar), or guys that are good but not great and may get overpaid (Andersson).

I think we need to make a trade to bolster the back end. Ideally we get a couple young D men by moving a Marner out, but that doesn't seem likely. We may have to move a Cowan in Byram Bowen type of move.

We have to move from an area of strength. Goaltending could be a strength for us, but trading goalies is tricky business.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Good list and analysis, thanks. It does benefit from hindsight though. Tanev was coming off some injury filled seasons and he seemed to be a risk. I am not sure either of Pietrangelo or Hamilton ever wanted to play in TO.

Looking forward, it seems like old guys (Burns, Carlson, Trouba) , young guys that won't make it to free agency (Makar), or guys that are good but not great and may get overpaid (Andersson).

I think we need to make a trade to bolster the back end. Ideally we get a couple young D men by moving a Marner out, but that doesn't seem likely. We may have to move a Cowan in Byram Bowen type of move.

We have to move from an area of strength. Goaltending could be a strength for us, but trading goalies is tricky business.

Its a very good point. Pietrangelo may not want to come here due to COVID and perhaps his family couldnt cross the border. Hard for me to put much blame there. But i felt Tanev was the perfect fit in 2020 over Brodie.

Ekblad has injuries but will be interesting if he gets to the market.

If we are talking trade, one guy i want is Brandt Clarke. He could be Makar-lite.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I think the attractiveness of Canada as a place to play will be less each year.

I believe Canada will push hard on bird flu restrictions, costs will increase and taxes will increase

It’s not a pretty picture in Canada in general

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Looking to some in-season additions:

Some players I like:

- Scott Laughton
- Mikael Granlund
- Yanni Gourde
- Jake Evans
- J.G. Pageau

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I haven't thought this one through at all. Who says no on this?

To Utah.

Marner
Robertson
Kampf

To Toronto

Sergachev
Cooley
Hayton
2025 2nd Round Pick

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

To Utah.

Marner
Robertson
Kampf

To Toronto

Sergachev
Cooley
Hayton
2025 2nd Round Pick
Utah without much thought. They just traded away Geekie (for Sergachev), this would take them from having 3 top 9 caliber C’s under 24 to 0.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

To Utah.

Marner
Robertson
Kampf

To Toronto

Sergachev
Cooley
Hayton
2025 2nd Round Pick
They do. I doubt they have any interest in trading Sergachev after just acquiring him, and I doubt they'd be willing to give up both Cooley and Hayton in the same trade. That guts their center depth.

I think your best bet in trading with Utah would be trying to get a good player with terms, a young, cost controlled player with term and the savings in cap space associated with Marner's next deal... Something like...

To Utah
Mitch Marner ($10.9 million)
Nick Roberton (RFA)

To Toronto
Clayton Keller ($7.15 million)
Barrett Hayton ($2.65 million
Depth pick

The lineup becomes...

Domi-Matthews-Keller
Knies-Hayton-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar
Grebyonkin

Essentially a classic 1 and 4 for 2 and 3 trade, where you lose the best player, but add a much needed 2C that is cost controlled, allowing Matthews to move down the lineup and a legit top line RW that isn't Marner, but can definitely fit in with Matthews and minimize the drop off.

Why would you do it if you're Utah? They're a new franchise that could build around a star player in Marner, while bringing Logan Cooley along as his sidekick. Nick Robertson also fits the age and makeup of their squad, who will be looking to contend in a couple years. Keller is a loss, but Marner is certainly an upgrade at 1 RW.

What would leave them with Cooley, Bjustad, Schmaltz, Kerfoot, McCain, Stenlund, etc as center options... I think they could afford to lose 1 more quality center if an elite caliber 1RW was coming the other way.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
They do. I doubt they have any interest in trading Sergachev after just acquiring him, and doubt they'd be willing yo give up both Cooley and Hayton in the same trade.

I think your best bet in trading with Utah would be trying to get a good player with terms, a young, cost controlled player with term and the savings in cap space associated with Marner's next deal... Something like...

To Utah
Mitch Marner ($10.9 million)
Nick Roberton (RFA)

To Toronto
Clayton Keller ($7.15 million)
Barrett Hayton ($2.65 million
Depth pick

The lineup becomes...

Domi-Matthews-Keller
Knies-Hayton-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar
Grebyonkin

Essentially a classic 1 and 4 for 2 and 3 trade, where you lose the best player, but add a much needed 2C that is cost controlled, allowing Matthews to move down the lineup and a legit top line RW that isn't Marner, but can definitely fit in with Matthews and minimize the drop off.

Why would you do it if you're Utah? They're a new franchise that could build around a star player in Marner, while bringing Logan Cooley along as his sidekick. Nick Robertson also fits the age and makeup of their squad, who will be looking to contend in a couple years. Keller is a loss, but Marner is certainly an upgrade at 1 RW.
Thanks.

I think we need to look for D man with term for our top four in a Marner trade. Our depth is at F and we need to turn some of that depth into D.

Marner
Liljegren

For

Sergachev
Cooley

Is also in the 1 and 4 for 2 and 3 mold. They do it if they want the best player in the deal and a superstar.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Thanks.

I think we need to look for D man with term for our top four in a Marner trade. Our depth is at F.
I think we have a glaring hole at 2C as well, particularly as Tavares continues to age. If he's going to extend in Toronto for $5.5-$6.0 million in the off season, it's going to come with term. That means Toronto has to be prepared to move him down the lineup into a 3C role as he continues to age and get away from the borderline top 6 (relative to a contender) center he is now. Therefore, while you are probably correct that the Leafs need another bonafide top 6 defenseman ideally somebody right handed) they might have to use prospects and picks to get him, or wait another year in free agency.

If I look out a few years, I want the roster to ideally look something like this...

Addition-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Cowan
Holmberg-Minten-Grebyonkin

I think that at least one of those two top 6 holes has to be rectified in any trade that sends Marner the other way. Ideally it would be the 2C spot because that's a harder player to acquire.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Thanks.

I think we need to look for D man with term for our top four in a Marner trade. Our depth is at F.
I feel like that’s questionable. After Matthews and Tavares we lack center depth. Unless minten suprises everyone he’s not ready. We don’t have a center ready to replace Tavares.

Our defense is old and really don’t have anyone coming. There’s a lot of hope on wing but again that’s hope right now. The leafs are in worse shape then you realize when you start digging into it.

If Matthews missing significant time we could be in a world of hurt. The guy scored 69 goals last year and if he misses significant time that’s a lot of goals to replace. You can’t predict injuries but we’re one injury away from being in serious trouble.

Reactions: ToneDog

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think we have a glaring hole at 2C as well, particularly as Tavares continues to age. If he's going to extend in Toronto for $5.5-$6.0 million in the off season, it's going to come with term. That means Toronto has to be prepared to move him down the lineup into a 3C role as he continues to age and get away from the borderline top 6 (relative to a contender) center he is now. Therefore, while you are probably correct that the Leafs need another bonafide top 6 defenseman ideally somebody right handed) they might have to use prospects and picks to get him, or wait another year in free agency.

If I look out a few years, I want the roster to ideally look something like this...

Addition-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Cowan

I think that at least one of those two top 6 holes has to be rectified in any trade that sends Marner the other way. Ideally it would be the 2C spot because that's a harder player to acquire.
Agreed. This is why Sergachev and Cooley in the same deal is so attractive (for us).

I think have to give Nylander (and Marner) actual shots at being 2C. It solves the problem for sure.

I am all for JT coming back but not at that number and term. 4 years x $3M seems about right and I don't think he has a lot of leverage.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Addition-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Cowan

Respectfully, any GM who considers their team to be a contender cannot consider anything like this line up. No team I can think of has 3 forwards with essentially less than l00 games played competing for the Cup, let alone 6. It might be a great 'learning' year for them, but it would be tough slogging.

Reactions: andora

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Respectfully, any GM who considers their team to be a contender cannot consider anything like this line up. No team I can think of has 3 forwards with essentially less than l00 games played competing for the Cup, let alone 6. It might be a great 'learning' year for them, but it would be tough slogging.
Dallas did last year

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
We don't want Liljegren on the team, but we should sign Boqvist?
we have a large fanbase; the number of stupids is also going to be large.

Gustav Forsling was literally a waiver wire pick up they took a chance on and he became a number 1 dman for them maybe thats why he gave them a discount?

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Using a league minimum player praying for ice time to say the tax thing isn't real when Floridas 54 goal scorer and 94 point guy just signed for 8.6 mil. I don't care if it's taxes or not but there's obviously something wrong here when we'd have to give someone like Reinhart 10+ mil. Nylander close to Reinhart and we had to give him 11.5. If it's not taxes then our core is just greedy because they probably make more than everyone in the league off endorsements too.
cant have it both ways their endorsements get taxed into oblivion too if we believe in taxation being the cause.

here's food for thought though everyone wants to say the 57 goal guy got 8.6m contract! our guy got 11.5m!

our guy has 265 points in his last 3 seasons (good for 1.08 ppg and pretty evenly spread out over that time frame with 114 goals. the other guy has 243 points over the same span and is good for 1 ppg. having a season where he shot like 25% on a bender Florida was smart to ensure they didnt give him 11.5m because he likely wont score like that again. Meanwhile our knuckleheads buy high and sell low.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Ad

Ad