Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We already have enough entitled players that are bigger than the team... Why do we want another selfish potential headache on our hands? He's played 0 NHL games and wants his ice time and insurances... yeesh. What if he struggles and refuses to report to the AHL?

It does feel like a Robertson for McGroarty helps both players/teams in some way but that's about it.

The other issue is, they would have no interest in Robertson.

If you look at their roster, they're pretty full up front.

Unless they want Liljegren as apart of the deal but like you said...what if he sucks in training camp and isn't an NHL player?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Considering we lost Bertuzzi and Robertson has asked out...I would be comfortable trading for Rutger McGroarty.

Even if it means guaranteeing him playing time, because I think he would get it here
You earn your ice time, no one should be guaranteed said time, not even the core should be given ice time even though it happens here every year…….

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The other issue is, they would have no interest in Robertson.

If you look at their roster, they're pretty full up front.

Unless they want Liljegren as apart of the deal but like you said...what if he sucks in training camp and isn't an NHL player?

Well Ehlers is reportedly available for the right deal so perhaps they do more tinkering upfront... I don't know. But yeah the fit doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited:

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Considering we lost Bertuzzi and Robertson has asked out...I would be comfortable trading for Rutger McGroarty.

Even if it means guaranteeing him playing time, because I think he would get it here

How can any professional sports team guarantee that to someone.

NHL isnt houseleague hockey. Teams play to win. It is a big business. If a team can play someone else because they think that gives them a shot they will and should do that. If this kids attitude is he deserves playing time and certain roles on the team, I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. We have enough princesses on the team who put their needs above the teams.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A trade for McGroarty fell apart not long ago because the team trading with the Jets didn’t like what they heard from McGroarty’s camp about guarantees over ice time and a spot in the NHL

Yikes that makes him look bad and big red flags

The only thing I can think of is that McGroarty is leaving college early, giving up the education now, so he wants some assurances for his future.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yikes that makes him look bad and big red flags

The only thing I can think of is that McGroarty is leaving college early, giving up the education now, so he wants some assurances for his future.

He's going to make a lot of money to leave college. He can always go back to school if hockey doesn't work out. This is just a player that thinks he's way too good to be grinding in the AHL to earn his spot. Maybe it's media exaggerations and all that, and maybe he's just making sure that he goes to a team that he prefers... We'll see.

Reactions: IPS

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
How can any professional sports team guarantee that to someone.

NHL isnt houseleague hockey. Teams play to win. It is a big business. If a team can play someone else because they think that gives them a shot they will and should do that. If this kids attitude is he deserves playing time and certain roles on the team, I would not touch with a 10 foot pole. We have enough princesses on the team who put their needs above the teams.
Well when you're hurting for cheap talent that has elite potential.... You make a few concessions. God knows we've made enough already so what's another one?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

If he wants that guarantee, then he should guarantee he's top 6 in team scoring within the first 2 months.

If not he can get demoted.

That would be fair wouldn't it?

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Well when you're hurting for cheap talent that has elite potential.... You make a few concessions. God knows we've made enough already so what's another one?
If something is too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

Could he help us, almost certainly. Would he deserve a spot in the middle 6 based on his current skill, almost certainly, but what message does that send to someone like Cowan who may think it is appropriate to play the same games.

The conversation needs to be "hey....we can put you into an opportunity to succeed but you need to do the work and run with it".

Reactions: Frostitute

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The Jets apparently turned down the Wilds 12th overall pick

I don't think the Leafs have quite what the Jets are looking for unless they put Cowan on the table (which I dont want to happen)

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
If it’s true that he wants to play for the Buds and only the Buds, go get this player. We have never seen this before where a guy wants Toronto and only Toronto. We want guys who bleed blue and would value us over any other team in the league. Could be the forward version of the Adam Fox transaction. Make it happen. I like this kid.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
If it’s true that he wants to play for the Buds and only the Buds, go get this player. We have never seen this before where a guy wants Toronto and only Toronto. We want guys who bleed blue and would value us over any other team in the league. Could be the forward version of the Adam Fox transaction. Make it happen. I like this kid.

Where was this speculated?

Does it have to do with his father being born in Toronto area?

Screenshot (1476).png

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Where was this speculated?

Does it have to do with his father being born in Toronto area?

View attachment 894152
Not sure about the rumour that poster's referring to, but he's a Canada/USA dual citizen and grew up a Leaf fan. Spoke openly/highly about some Leaf players pre-draft IIRC.

The Leafs interviewed him in his draft year and had some rumoured interest at the time but he obviously went higher.

Reactions: LeafSteel and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not sure about the rumour that poster's referring to, but he's a Canada/USA dual citizen and grew up a Leaf fan. Spoke openly/highly about some Leaf players pre-draft IIRC.

The Leafs interviewed him in his draft year and had some rumoured interest at the time but he obviously went higher.

Just looked and he played for the Streetsville Derby's.

Let me put on my conspiracy hat haha.

He was born in the Toronto area and was actually a pretty good hockey player (100+ points in BCJHL) but was also just 5'8 at a time where it was very difficult for a smaller player to make the NHL.

Now that his son is about to make the NHL, the father would love nothing more than his son to play for his childhood team.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Feels like top 6 forwards, D and G are all set other than maybe a tweak here or there.

Today, by my estimation:
Knies - Matthews - Domi
Nylander - Tavares - Marner

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - OEL
Benoit - Liljegren
Hakanpaa

Woll
Stolarz
Murray

Feels like the bottom 6 is still really up in the air though, whether it actually is or not.

Current options in the organization:
McMann, Holmberg, Robertson (hopefully), Dewar, Kampf, Jarnrkok, Reaves, Cowan, Minten
emphasize PK ability.

Without any moves I’m honestly not sure how I would arrange the bottom 6, but I would not have a huge amount of confidence in it. There some potential but not sure it can be bet on. That said, this roster won’t be a finished product on day 1 of the regular season

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I thought the 3rd line of
DeWar - Kampf - Jarnkrok was hustling and looked great in the playoffs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I thought the 3rd line of
DeWar - Kampf - Jarnkrok was hustling and looked great in the playoffs.

Hustle is good, but Kampf and Dewar don’t provide enough offensively imo. I don’t think either is a 3rd line player on a contender. I think Jarnkrok could be, but he needs to be surrounded with players who are more physically engaged/aggresive I think

I think they would be a very good 4th line for us but Kampf especially is paid too much. Can’t have like 6M on our 4th line.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Just looked and he played for the Streetsville Derby's.

Let me put on my conspiracy hat haha.

He was born in the Toronto area and was actually a pretty good hockey player (100+ points in BCJHL) but was also just 5'8 at a time where it was very difficult for a smaller player to make the NHL.

Now that his son is about to make the NHL, the father would love nothing more than his son to play for his childhood team.
1720721181898.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad