Votes: 26 54.2%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Then what was the excuse in Buffalo and Chicago? I think it's far more likely that he's just a draft pick that hasn't worked out.

Buffalo and Chicago are very diffferent circumstances.

In Chicago he was able to stick with the team, though he got low minutes partly because they still had a pile of veterans on the team. His 26 points in 65 games isn’t exactly bad for a player who had only 19 games of NHL experience (spanning across 3 seasons with Sabres) prior to that season and had essentially only ever played bottom 6 roles on arguably two of the league’s worst teams.

In Buffalo, no one could actually make a legitimate case that they ever gave him a real chance.

He’s not Willy. Clearly. Not even close. But there still could be a player there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My initial post was shared earlier, and I'm open to discussion and even arguments against my views. So far, one person disagreed without providing any evidence to support their opinion. You seem to disagree with me as well. Do you have any proof, or do you simply enjoy critiquing without wanting others to do the same to your opinion? I've provided my evidence, which includes watching all of Nylander's goal highlights and seeing him play live. That's considerably more evidence than what has been presented to counter my viewpoint. Am I wrong? Does Nylander's highlight package indicate a strong cycle or forecheck player? Have you watched it?

It seems your focus is on whether I presented my information perfectly or if there might be a minor error in what I wrote. That's not the poiint of this conversation; it's not about me. It's about the topic, which is whether Nylander is a good cycle player and forechecker. I see puck retrieval as a big part of the cycle, which is why I included forechecking in my initial post below.

So, instead of nitpicking my opinion, please rovide evidence that proves me wrong. You haven't even stated your opinion on whether Nylander is a good cycle player, which is quite telling about your intentions.

Is Nylander a good cycle player and forechecker?

Here was my post:
I didn't disagree with you.

I'm not nitpicking your opinion or talking about a minor error in what you wrote.

I didn't and had no intention of expressing my opinions.

All of the above you somehow arrived at despite my not having said or even implied any of them.

All I said was:

- a 4 game playoff sample is not the same as an 82 game regular season sample

- a stat suggesting that someone is expected to be good on the rush does not mean they are poor on the cycle.

I don't see why you have so much trouble understanding those two simple statements.

Since you seem to need my opinion, I will give it:

In my opinion, Nylander is excellent on the rush, and good on both the cycle and forechecking.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
In my opinion, Nylander is excellent on the rush, and good on both the cycle and forechecking.

Especialyl the last 1-2 years IMO for that cycle/forecheck. He used to be much softer going after the puck, shying away from physical opportunities. Far less frequently these days which is great.

Reactions: Menzinger

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Especialyl the last 1-2 years IMO for that cycle/forecheck. He used to be much softer going after the puck, shying away from physical opportunities. Far less frequently these days which is great.
Even the JFresh stats that he posted predicted Nylander to be better than 79% of forwards (at 5v5) at both in-zone offence and in-zone assists, and better that 77% of forwards at forechecking.

I would say the top 25% would be considered 'good'.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Then what was the excuse in Buffalo and Chicago? I think it's far more likely that he's just a draft pick that hasn't worked out.
Buffalo has been a god awful organization, every player that has left Buffalo has turned out to be a pretty good hockey player elsewhere. There's something rotten in the organization. Chicago has been a tire fire as well.

Not saying A.Nylander puts it all together here and lives up to his 8th overall status, but he's been fairly productive in the AHL, maybe having big brother around will help him develop into something. It took Bobby McMann till age 27 to put everything together as well.

Reactions: supermann_98

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seeing a lot more of these not so cheap long term deals off of a small sample size

He’s a promising youngster but man that’s rich off of an 84 game sample size

I think for Minnesota...he was willing to sign 8 years, similar to Ek so they did it.

I know they tried really hard with Kaprizov to get term but couldn't.

I think they want to lock in that core.

Reactions: Menzinger

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Buffalo has been a god awful organization, every player that has left Buffalo has turned out to be a pretty good hockey player elsewhere. There's something rotten in the organization. Chicago has been a tire fire as well.

Not saying A.Nylander puts it all together here and lives up to his 8th overall status, but he's been fairly productive in the AHL, maybe having big brother around will help him develop into something. It took Bobby McMann till age 27 to put everything together as well.
Columbus is every bit as bad, if not worse, than Buffalo or Chicago. They had no use for Nylander either, despite his 11 goals. I think the Leafs just signed him for some depth in the AHL and as a favour to see if they can give him a platform to try to earn an NHL deal somewhere. It's no risk for the Leafs so who cares, but I don't think he is better than any current Leafs forward.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Columbus is every bit as bad, if not worse, than Buffalo or Chicago. They had no use for Nylander either, despite his 11 goals. I think the Leafs just signed him for some depth in the AHL and as a favour to see if they can give him a platform to try to earn an NHL deal somewhere. It's no risk for the Leafs so who cares, but I don't think he is better than any current Leafs forward.
I think it is this exactly. If he was an NHL player, he would have been offered an NHL contract.

We could hope that being united with Willy will unlock something he has not shown before....but that is just hope.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
8.5 million for Brock Faber.

Love this for the Wild. Will be a bargain soon enough especially with the rising cap. He's already playing like a top pairing guy.

Was quite the coup for them getting him in the Fiala trade

Reactions: TMLAM34

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
With Ryan Leonard opting to play university next year and with Washington locking up the top 2 center spots perhaps a swap of Robertson for McMichael.
At least as a base….

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Man it’s pretty wild that Berube won the cup with a team that only had 3 20+ goal scorers.

Just 33, 28, 23 for the top 3.
Did however have 13 players with 10+ goals (we had 9 last year)

Our top 3 scorers had 138 goals last year vs the 84 that cup team had.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Man it’s pretty wild that Berube won the cup with a team that only had 3 20+ goal scorers.

Just 33, 28, 23 for the top 3.
Did however have 13 players with 10+ goals (we had 9 last year)

Our top 3 scorers had 138 goals last year vs the 84 that cup team had.

Bet on the team Rielly is traded to.

Kessel - Cup
Bozak - Cup
Kadri - Cup

Then sell high ...

Reactions: BudForLife

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
To much dead weight again. Jarnkrok Kampf Reaves Dewar all suck. Give the kids a chance. Cowan, Grebyonkin, Minten etc.
I just feel that would only hurt their development. They would be playing a much longer season against much harder competition. If any of them were to play, I would prefer they play on the 4th line starting out while moving them up a little higher when the right situation presents itself, and they have earned the right to be moved up. Cowan especially has the chance to be an impact player in the league, but let’s make sure he is ready when that time comes, whether it actually is this season or a season or two later.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Marner W.Nylander
Holmberg Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves/A.Nylander

Move Marner to #2C.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So lower ask?

Short of him taking a pay cut, I don't have an interest in running this back again.

I think you let Matthews and 88 be your high priced guys and you figure out a different group to move forward with.

2 wingers at 11.5-12.5M isn't a recipe for success unless they're both Kucherov.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Knies Matthews Domi
McMann Marner W.Nylander
Holmberg Tavares Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Reaves/A.Nylander

Move Marner to #2C.
This. Well maybe not exactly this, but one of Marner or Nylander has to be given a shot at 2C. An actual shot, not just lip-service of two weeks at training camp. Give one of them 30 or 40 games, maybe give each of them 20.

JT is not our 2C of the future, possibly even this year. We need a 2C, we have too much invested in wingers (cap-wise) me we have winger prospects more than anything else.

Knies Matthews Domi
XXXX Nylander/Marner Marner/Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann

XXXX = Holmberg, Jarnkrok, Cowan, or Grebyenkin.

I know this may not work, but I don't see what we have to lose and do see how we win if we can make it work.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This. Well maybe not exactly this, but one of Marner or Nylander has to be given a shot at 2C. An actual shot, not just lip-service of two weeks at training camp. Give one of them 30 or 40 games, maybe give each of them 20.

JT is not our 2C of the future, possibly even this year. We need a 2C, we have too much invested in wingers (cap-wise) me we have winger prospects more than anything else.

Knies Matthews Domi
XXXX Nylander/Marner Marner/Nylander
Robertson Tavares McMann

XXXX = Holmberg, Jarnkrok, Cowan, or Grebyenkin.

I know this may not work, but I don't see what we have to lose and do see how we win if we can make it work.
Unfortunately, Willy doesn't have the defensive prowess to pull off playing center. Marner does and surely understands that centers will earn more.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Unfortunately, Willy doesn't have the defensive prowess to pull off playing center. Marner does and surely understands that centers will earn more.
Yeah, I had the same thought process.

I think part of me wants to see Nylander propped up by defensively sound wingers and succeed in 2C so we can move on from Marner this coming off-season. If Mitch is an effective 2C then we may be more "stuck" with having to re-sign him.

Of course, if Marner is a the C on a strong second line then that allows us to squeeze JT into a take it or leave it 3C contract and we would have two or three scoring lines...not a bad thing.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Joe Veleno
To Detroit: Nick Robertson + Conor Timmins

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Veleno - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Dewar/Reaves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad