• I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Is there any smoke around this or just clickbait
There is indeed smoke to this, but unfortunately it’s all of the 420 variety that the writer had ingested in order to come up with it.

Any idiot can post anything they want online, with no factual merit, and get clicks off it.

Perfect example of the ongoing dumbing down and misinformation that’s a click away.

I’m going go now and read an article that talks about how Mother Teresa used to enjoy drowning kittens on weekends.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Why do I see everyone penciling in this Quillan guy on our roster.

1 point in 10 AHL games, 22 years old.

Never even heard of the dude before this offseason tbh.
He had 2 monster years in college and a real gamer with extremely high hockey IQ. Lots of potential. Might need a year in the A first.

Reactions: aingefan

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He had 2 monster years in college and a real gamer with extremely high hockey IQ. Lots of potential. Might need a year in the A first.
...very strong defensively too, at the NCAA level. He was Defensive Player of the Year, I believe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240726-153522.png
    Screenshot_20240726-153522.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 1

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Agreed, advanced stats agree too. Seems both Matthews and Tavares play better with north south, physical players. Bunting per advanced stats was very productive with Matthews. Matthews was on an entire different level of production with Domi and Bertuzzi vs anyone else.

Both Nylander and Marner are perimeter offense guys who are more off the rush offense but have no cycle, forechecking ability.

Nylanders speed/shot combo makes him more dangerous off the rush than the others.

This season, Marner produced alot of goals by getting behind the D on broken plays that Leafs recovered and scoring on the subsequent odd man rush/breakaway.

Ive always said that I think Matthews and Tavares in 2019-2020, (the early Tavares years) couldve been as productive as Draisaitl/Mcdavid...probably even more. Especially if Hyman was on their wing.
Nylander was one of the best cycling forwards in the league last season wtf are you smoking

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Montreal was willing to retain 50% of Dvorak’s deal, I would have some interest if he comes cheap. Something around Robertson for Dvorak.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Marner
Cowan - Dvorak - Nylander
Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Nylander was one of the best cycling forwards in the league last season wtf are you smoking
Im listening.... Do you have evidence to support this?

Leafs something sround 4th in the league in scoring odd the rush... so its difficult to believe. ive watched all Matthews, Marners and Nylander goals on YT. Nylander and Marner are essentially all of the rush or pp. Matthews was more of the rush initially, but you see a shift once hes with Bert and Domi. Bert and Domi were great at puck recover and cycling and always had someone in front od the net. Matthews, domi and bert seemed to be all around the goal crease when they were together. Knies is pretty good at cycling too.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Leafs something sround 4th in the league in scoring odd the rush... so its difficult to believe. ive watched all Matthews, Marners and Nylander goals on YT. Nylander and Marner are essentially all of the rush or pp. Matthews was more of the rush initially, but you see a shift once hes with Bert and Domi. Bert and Domi were great at puck recover and cycling and always had someone in front od the net. Matthews, domi and bert seemed to be all around the goal crease when they were together. Knies is pretty good at cycling too.
I’m hoping Knies can continue his development and be that Bertuzzi replacement internally. That Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi line was very good when together. Knies - Matthews - Domi is the closest we can to replicate it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It seemed to me, and perhaps because memorable, Nylander's goals were more individual effort than setups.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Agreed, advanced stats agree too. Seems both Matthews and Tavares play better with north south, physical players. Bunting per advanced stats was very productive with Matthews. Matthews was on an entire different level of production with Domi and Bertuzzi vs anyone else.

Both Nylander and Marner are perimeter offense guys who are more off the rush offense but have no cycle, forechecking ability.

Nylanders speed/shot combo makes him more dangerous off the rush than the others.

This season, Marner produced alot of goals by getting behind the D on broken plays that Leafs recovered and scoring on the subsequent odd man rush/breakaway.

Ive always said that I think Matthews and Tavares in 2019-2020, (the early Tavares years) couldve been as productive as Draisaitl/Mcdavid...probably even more. Especially if Hyman was on their wing.

Keefe system was a kind of east west/ cycling system with minimum of forechecking.

babcock was more a north/south system with stretche pass.

I think Keefe kind of system really benefit to Nylander but honestly for me Marner was a better player under Babcock north/south system. Contrarily to the rest of core 4, Marner doesn't have a hard shot so to be dangerous, he need to find way to get open ice on dangerous area and from cycling for a player who not big/physical and doesn't have hard shot from distance. it's can becoming pretty hard to be dangerous for him... But in a north/south system, he will be better to create himself space with his ability to read the play, be in the passing lane and intercept the puck with an active stick. Forechecking is not only hit but more about put pressure and forcing your opponent to make mistake and it's already what he's doing in PK, so u don't know why he should not be able to do the same on forechecking at 5v5

4 player who will be fun to watch
Marner for he reason i said.
Tavares : We could see a brand new JT this season
Knies : for me he's the perfect type of player for this kind of system
Nylander : I fear a decline in his case...

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
That would cost draft pick currency, or a top prospect along with mediocre player dump.

And then "draft picks, draft picks, draft pick, blah, blah blah."

You know the story.
Agreed, and it would be worth it to take the gamble like other teams with actual depth.

I’m ok if we space it out, can’t loose a first in multiple years in a row. We have to start the trend. Make a pic in the first round (‘24) and then be ok trading next years for a younger guy who can step in and help.

We have young talent whom haven’t broken out yet ( cost savings - Minten, Robertson, Niemela )
We have future picks - ‘27 would be perfect ( 1st and 3rd )
We have depth guys to move money in our bottom 6 ( Jarnkrok, Kampf )

Not exactly an amazing return to start but

Robertson, niemela, Jarnkrok, 1st, 3rd

That’s arguably closer to the Muzzin trade than McCabe - Muzzin deal was more value being sent out. But point still stands.

Robertson wants out at the moment, Niemela is a smaller d man whom isn’t going to fit into our coaches system properly to succeed - moving him before watching him fail wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep some value. 1st and 3rd have real value and Jarnkrok is a vet bottom 6 guy who regularly you can see traded at every deadline for a 3rd plus ( when healthy )

Doesn’t sound like we are loosing much when you consider we trade our firsts away yearly for a playoff push anyway - 2 prospects we don’t consider long term pieces - and a bottom 6 player who can be replaced with a prospect needing to develop.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Keefe system was a kind of east west/ cycling system with minimum of forechecking.

babcock was more a north/south system with stretche pass.

I think Keefe kind of system really benefit to Nylander but honestly for me Marner was a better player under Babcock north/south system. Contrarily to the rest of core 4, Marner doesn't have a hard shot so to be dangerous, he need to find way to get open ice on dangerous area and from cycling for a player who not big/physical and doesn't have hard shot from distance. it's can becoming pretty hard to be dangerous for him... But in a north/south system, he will be better to create himself space with his ability to read the play, be in the passing lane and intercept the puck with an active stick. Forechecking is not only hit but more about put pressure and forcing your opponent to make mistake and it's already what he's doing in PK, so u don't know why he should not be able to do the same on forechecking at 5v5

4 player who will be fun to watch
Marner for he reason i said.
Tavares : We could see a brand new JT this season
Knies : for me he's the perfect type of player for this kind of system
Nylander : I fear a decline in his case...
Avoid traffic marner a Berube type player?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yes his one goal on the rush that has him 6th in the league per game is damning evidence. 9 entire shots worth of data.
"Shots off rush" not goals off rush. This is in addition to watching his YT goal highlights and watching him play since he entered the league. Is it better if I dont present evidence and say.... lol ur wrong - And leave? Like the poster im requesting stats from for two days...

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Avoid traffic marner a Berube type player?
Marner doesn't avoid traffic but he's not enough physical to be able to make an impact there between 3-4 guy, that's pretty diffrrent in my mind.

Matthews don't need space and he's probably got the quicker wirst shot in the NHL. Nylander with his speed and his shot is able to create himself more space and still dangerous.

Marner is a guy who need space and not enough fast or physical to get it done by with abilities alone and when he got it, He's even better than Matthews and Nylander. But how can he create space for himself? Agressive Forechecking, with his Hockey IQ... His ability to read well the play in front of him and been exactly where he should in the passing lane but you need to be agressive to caught people out of position and been able to use all the space in your advantage. That's why i don't have any doubt than Marner will be a better player under Berube.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kent Johnson signs for 3 years 1.8M

Robertson should come comfortably below 1.8M

He is a worse current, and future player than KJ from CBJ

2 years 1.25M is what he should come around

Based on what exactly? They are similarly productive players at this stage. Neither one has really cemented themselves

Also I’d say there is zero chance we’re getting a 2 year deal from Nick.

I do agree he’ll get less but that’s just mostly because Johnson played more games 2 years ago than Nick did last

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Based on what exactly? They are similarly productive players at this stage. Neither one has really cemented themselves

Also I’d say there is zero chance we’re getting a 2 year deal from Nick.

I do agree he’ll get less but that’s just mostly because Johnson played more games 2 years ago than Nick did last
KJ is more established had a 40 pt year last year. Had a down season this year when he was expected to breakout which made comp closer than it should be

His size + skating + passing potenial make him a better offensive player than robertson whose really undersized and a average skater only

Getting 1 year 1.3 or deal from robertson would be a failure once more for the org.

He should get 2 or 3 year deal. 3 years 1.5M bridge at max

1 year shouldnt be more than 1M

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Kent Johnson signs for 3 years 1.8M

Robertson should come comfortably below 1.8M

He is a worse current, and future player than KJ from CBJ

2 years 1.25M is what he should come around
Given that he has asked for a trade I think best we can hope for is a 1 year deal with a handshake agreement that Brad will try to trade him as soon as he can.

1 year x $1.5 million

Knies. Matthews. Nylander
Robertson. Tavares. Marner
Mcmann. Domi. Jarnkrok
Holmberg. Kampf. Dewar
Reaves

Try to move Robertson for a 3C and move Domi to 2nd LW

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad