Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Caps have 5 players in Scott Wheeler's top 100 drafted prospects, with a 6th, Cole Huston, in the named 'final cuts'.

21: Leonard
75: Cristall
89: LaPierre
97: Miro
98: Parascak

2023 draft was supposedly much stronger than 2024, so I don't really get his ratings. When I saw where he has Stankoven rated, I figured it's a pretty useless list. Then I saw where he has LaPierre rated.......he must not be watching these kids play. Lappy was probably our best forward in the playoffs and was the MVP of the AHL playoffs.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
2023 draft was supposedly much stronger than 2024, so I don't really get his ratings. When I saw where he has Stankoven rated, I figured it's a pretty useless list. Then I saw where he has LaPierre rated.......he must not be watching these kids play. Lappy was probably our best forward in the playoffs and was the MVP of the AHL playoffs.
I think it's fairly widely recognized that Wheeler - and other prospect analysts - suffers from some issues with recency bias. Not unlike a lot of fans and Internet forum posters.

MVP of the AHL playoffs isn't exactly a harbinger of major future NHL success.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
MVP of the AHL playoffs isn't exactly a harbinger of major future NHL success.
It depends how old you are when you win it. Lapierre winning it at 22 means a hell of a lot more than Josh Leivo winning it a couple years ago at 29 or travis morin winning it at 30. Looking at winners by age, you've got the following players that won it before turning 23:

Lapierre
Bertuzzi
Bjorkstrand
Tatar
Lehner
Neuvirth
Price
Hacket
Skrudland

That's a decent list of NHL players. I'm not going to pretend that's an all-star roster, but it's an awful lot better than the players winning the award after their 23rd birthday.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Just trying to learn more about prospects:

What's the general consensus on Funk?
I'd be surprised if he ever breaks into the NHL. His offensive skill probably doesn't translate real well at the NHL level from what I've seen but his defensive game and willingness to do whatever it takes probably carves out a really solid AHL career.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just trying to learn more about prospects:

What's the general consensus on Funk?
He is a late bloomer. Had a great year last year. He has a good frame and is feisty. Those are the attributes that are more likely to get him a cup of coffee. But NHL expectations are low but he is a good flyer to take. If he ends up a career AHL player for Bears that is good too.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Didn't make it. He's a bit young for it and not a bottom six fit so much like a Beaudoin.

Reactions: usiel

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Didn't make it. He's a bit young for it and not a bottom six fit so much like a Beaudoin.
He's 3 months older than Cole Eiserman and a month older than Emil Hemming, two wingers drafted after him that both made it. Seems surprising for a mid-1st rounder to not even make the World Juniors summer camp his draft year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's Canada and also typically more of a 19 year-old tournament. He's also the rare instance of a Canadian first rounder that's never represented them internationally so there's little resume there compared to most. (Michael Hage also hasn't by the looks of it and he also wasn't invited.)

It was a swing for the fences pick and one that sort of catapulted out of nowhere last season. Without blazing speed nor strength nor a high grade resume compared to some it was an iffy possibility he's get a shot. He could perhaps still put himself on the map in the first half but you'd think Canada would need to be pretty decimated. More likely his shot is next year.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Leonard was on a line with Gabe Perreault and rising BC-freshman James Hagens. Hagens is projected to be the first overall pick in 2025. They had five points combined against Sweden.

Perreault-Hagens-Leonard could be a line both at BC and at the WJC.
Honestly figured Hagens might get slotted their. I'm not sure what BC lost vets graduation-wise for the center position but don't really recall another standing out that much.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

Also scored a goal apparently (no vid on X atm). Kid's pretty gangster.
I was at that game. Cole has a very similar playing style and skillset to bro Laine. The GWG was great: it was a turnaround toss to the goal crease from the sideboards that banked of a Finnish player and in. Cole looked at his teammates and shrugged his shoulders. Gotta say I like the kid.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I was at that game. Cole has a very similar playing style and skillset to bro Laine. The GWG was great: it was a turnaround toss to the goal crease from the sideboards that banked of a Finnish player and in. Cole looked at his teammates and shrugged his shoulders. Gotta say I like the kid.

Definitely has some competitive energy to him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I haven’t been able to watch any. Exciting that we have so many players competing in the high end junior ranks. They are all a couple/few years away, but it is exciting to see that pipeline.

Still not a traditional rebuild. We need a couple of these guys to pop about their draft location. I’d say McMichael is on pace against (my) expected. Lapierre as well and higher ceiling. Miro the same. Protas has exceed expectations but not Tate. Fever is good and worked out (as a 4–5 guy). A bit disappointed in development/readiness of Iorio and Chesley. Alexyev still on fence.

I think we need to work on defensemen development. We aren’t doing well there. Strong in goal. Progressing on forwards. Suck on Dee.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I haven’t been able to watch any. Exciting that we have so many players competing in the high end junior ranks. They are all a couple/few years away, but it is exciting to see that pipeline.

Still not a traditional rebuild. We need a couple of these guys to pop about their draft location. I’d say McMichael is on pace against (my) expected. Lapierre as well and higher ceiling. Miro the same. Protas has exceed expectations but not Tate. Fever is good and worked out (as a 4–5 guy). A bit disappointed in development/readiness of Iorio and Chesley. Alexyev still on fence.

I think we need to work on defensemen development. We aren’t doing well there. Strong in goal. Progressing on forwards. Suck on Dee.
It's a chicken/egg problem in terms of D. Has the team failed to develop D because LJ and AA weren't that great (bad draft picks)? Or are they evidence of poor development trajectories (good draft picks that the team botched with poor development)?

Iorio is tracking quite well for a 2nd round pick in 2021. He played a regular role as a 20 year old, and then a 21 year old, on an AHL championship team. Plus, he has filled in nicely at the NHL level when asked. Note that 3 defensemen taken in the first round of the '21 draft have not played a single NHL game yet and Iorio already has 9. D take longer - you cannot expect them to reach the NHL as quickly as forwards. Brandt Clarke is a stud, also from the '21 draft, and only has 25 NHL games under his belt. My guess is that he will be an NHL regular by next season (25-26).

The dearth of D in the system is a mixture of not taking that many D and a pair of key draft misses in AA and (more so) LJ. From 2009-2024, those are the only two defensemen drafted by the Capitals in the first round.

Reactions: Jags and Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It's a chicken/egg problem in terms of D. Has the team failed to develop D because LJ and AA weren't that great (bad draft picks)? Or are they evidence of poor development trajectories (good draft picks that the team botched with poor development)?

Iorio is tracking quite well for a 2nd round pick in 2021. He played a regular role as a 20 year old, and then a 21 year old, on an AHL championship team. Plus, he has filled in nicely at the NHL level when asked. Note that 3 defensemen taken in the first round of the '21 draft have not played a single NHL game yet and Iorio already has 9. D take longer - you cannot expect them to reach the NHL as quickly as forwards. Brandt Clarke is a stud, also from the '21 draft, and only has 25 NHL games under his belt. My guess is that he will be an NHL regular by next season (25-26).

The dearth of D in the system is a mixture of not taking that many D and a pair of key draft misses in AA and (more so) LJ. From 2009-2024, those are the only two defensemen drafted by the Capitals in the first round.
I agree on development time for Dee is always longer. But between 2016 through 2022 we have drafted 14 Dee. Only two have played more than 10 games (Fever and Alexyev). 2 more have played a few (Iorio and LuJo). And there have been some highly regarded Dee in that group including 6 of the 14 drafted in first three rounds (two more in the 4th). It just doesn’t feel like we are developing them successfully.

I really like Iorio and Chesley. Both have had opportunities to play larger roles in their group (Chesley at MN and Iorio in Hershey). This year will be a very important development years for both and they need to be impact players (best Dee on their team) this year.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I agree on development time for Dee is always longer. But between 2016 through 2022 we have drafted 14 Dee. Only two have played more than 10 games (Fever and Alexyev). 2 more have played a few (Iorio and LuJo). And there have been some highly regarded Dee in that group including 6 of the 14 drafted in first three rounds (two more in the 4th). It just doesn’t feel like we are developing them successfully.

I really like Iorio and Chesley. Both have had opportunities to play larger roles in their group (Chesley at MN and Iorio in Hershey). This year will be a very important development years for both and they need to be impact players (best Dee on their team) this year.
We've taken a lot of D for sure, but my point regarding first round picks remains. I'll throw out 2020-2024 drafts as too recent for defensemen [plus we didn't draft any D in 2020]. So from 2016-2019 the Capitals drafted:

2019 5th rounder (Has)
2018 1st rounder (Alexeyev) [31st, which would have been a 2nd round pick historically]
2018 2nd rounder (Fehervary)
2018 6th rounder (Kannok-Leipert)
2017 4th rounder (Geisser)
2017 5th rounder (Walfridsson)
2017 6th rounder (Maass)
2016 1st rounder (Johansen)
2016 6th rounder (Priskie)
2016 7th rounder (Zaitsev)

Which kind of illustrates my point. The Caps history of great D have largely been high-ish picks. Carlson, Green, Alzner (and even the magnificent Jeff Schultz) were all first round picks. In prior generations, Gonchar, Witt, Hatcher, and Stevens were first round picks.

Amongst the top 15 Norris finishers this year, you had:
10 1st round picks (note: all drafted 14th OA or higher)
1 2nd round pick
1 3rd round pick
2 4th round picks
1 5th round pick

Obviously, you can get top D with later picks but by in large the top guys are being drafted early in the first round. At some point, the Caps are going to have to start investing more draft capital in earlier rounds into defensemen, and then we will have a chance to see if the Caps are developing D properly or not. I am very high on Hutson though, much moreso than Iorio or Chesley. Muggli is another to watch further down the road.

Reactions: Jags

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad