Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We're entering the dark days of the off-season. Zero rumours or news. Still a few free agents to pick up for a few teams. I'm still hoping for a 1 year Pacioretty deal with bonuses for the Leafs -- he can still play, he's got skill and doesn't shy away from the physical stuff, but he's definitely not the fastest anymore.

I'm hoping for a bit of movement from Treliving to improve the team further but seems like it's never gonna happen. I suspect a couple prospect signings to AHL/ELCs this week.

What kills me about this is that in season if the Leafs make a waiver pickup its like wall to wall coverage for 2 days with all of the heavy hitters in the media talking about it non stop.

Marner could get traded at anytime in the next 6 weeks and we'd have some random intern working the radio shows and maybe a 2 minute phone call from one of the big guys three beers deep from the dock in Muskoka.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Having Stolarz may help the Leafs stabilize their play style. In Woll, Stolarz and even Murray you have 3 blocking goalies who play a somewhat economical and structured style. So if the defense has 3 goalies behind them that play a quieter game, more predictable you have fewer adjustments needed between different goalies starting. One of the reasons Jones was effective last year was he was just an inert, efficient goalie. He was beatable but he wasn’t unpredictable.
Looking at wins vs losses it appears the Leafs were much better when playing in front of Samsonov. There will have to be an adjustment if Woll/Murray/Stolarz all play the same way because they were barely above .500 with Woll in net last year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Looking at wins vs losses it appears the Leafs were much better when playing in front of Samsonov. There will have to be an adjustment if Woll/Murray/Stolarz all play the same way because they were barely above .500 with Woll in net last year.

I found Woll didn't get the goal support.

There was a time where even with the run support of 5-6 goals wasn't enough to overcome Samsonov's poor play.

We need to aim to be top 10 in PP/PK rankings, special teams are so important.

I think we had a bunch of guys last year that were more hinderance than help.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I wouldn’t say we necessarily played better under Samsonov. His early season vs second half swings were massive you’re talking about the difference between getting waived through the league, maybe out of the NHL, to some of the best numbers among goalies. So it was a tale of two seasons.

If you don’t have the utterly disastrous first half from the current goalies, everybody plays solid, it’ll help the team gel and develop a consistent game plan. We need to get away from this constant switch flipping mentality.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

There was a time where even with the run support of 5-6 goals wasn't enough to overcome Samsonov's poor play.

He also played a lot of back to backs, did he not? I think those are typically a lot harder for a goaltender and teams don't do well often in those situations.

I really don't think the Leafs can get worse than Samsonovs 3GAA and .896% save percentage either way. It took Samsonov 2 months of playing fantastic to even get back to those numbers too. If Woll can stay healthy, I think he'll be an upgrade -- at least in consistency. I'm not as confident in Stolarz but hard to argue his stats over the last few years.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Woll absolutely didn't get the goal support, but why? The Leafs had a .710 points percentage in 38 decisions with Samsonov despite a .890 sv%. They had a .520 points percentage in 24 decisions with Woll despite a .907 sv%. They score more, let in more and won more with Samsonov in net. The question is why did they struggle to score and win at the same rate in the Woll games?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I wouldn’t say we necessarily played better under Samsonov.
They played to a 85 point pace in 24 decisions with Woll and a 117 point pace in 38 decisions with Samsonov. I'd say that's a significant enough sample to say they played better in front of Samsonov.
His early season vs second half swings were massive you’re talking about the difference between getting waived through the league, maybe out of the NHL, to some of the best numbers among goalies. So it was a tale of two seasons.
I think this is overblown - he was 33rd among goalies with 10GP+ in sv% after he came back. He wasn't good for any sustained period of time.
If you don’t have the utterly disastrous first half from the current goalies, everybody plays solid, it’ll help the team gel and develop a consistent game plan. We need to get away from this constant switch flipping mentality.
Totally agree!

Again - not defending Samsonov. He was brutal last year and I'm happy they moved on. My point is they won despite him and it's unrealistic to expect the team to put up more points with him gone.

Reactions: Mckay

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Woll and Stolarz should be good enough. Woll was great in playoffs until he got hurt. Stolarz is not worse than Samsonov imo. If they play steady the team will have some confidence.

Reactions: LeafSteel and Mckay

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really? You think that is "safe" to say, do you?

How is this term worse than the one that started last season?

Bertuzzi out? Is that what has you all concerned? Tavares a year older? What else could possibly make this "safe to say"?

We started last season with Brodie, Klingberg and Giordano in our top six D. We had Samsonov as our starter.

What makes us worse than last year? Were you a big Keefe fan? Gregor?

Yes I do. Just because last year was pretty bad too doesn’t make this year any better. We have gotten progressively worse on paper and less depth not better. Bertuzzi out is manageable as long as we get some rookie support but he was pretty decent in the playoffs. Tanev at 6 years is rough and OEL is really not what we needed. Up front there really is no additions on top of what was already weak depth wise. Woll in the starting role after a big injury from last year and the pressure of the world on him makes me very sceptical. Don’t get me wrong they could surprise, it’s just vastly dissspoainting to see this kind of offseason after our flaws were exposed for like the 6th time resulting in a first round exit. However close it was. This excuse can’t fly anymore. Games 1,2 and 4 were bad. We should be winning in 4/5 not rolling the dice on game 7 each year. We have 1 playoff round win to show for the Matthews era. This FA season wasn’t it.
Ok. You have our attention. Now expand on that.

Biggest add is an injury prone D man and an over the hill D man. Also got a guy who may not pass his physical. Forwards had very little change. Maybe Cowan replaces Bert but we likely lose some snot. Goalie tandem consists of 1 rookie who was great when healthy, but has struggled to remain healthy. Other goalie has never been a starter. This team shouldn’t have these question marks after last years first round exit. Forwards lack depth and grit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Biggest add is an injury prone D man and an over the hill D man. Also got a guy who may not pass his physical. Forwards had very little change. Maybe Cowan replaces Bert but we likely lose some snot. Goalie tandem consists of 1 rookie who was great when healthy, but has struggled to remain healthy. Other goalie has never been a starter. This team shouldn’t have these question marks after last years first round exit. Forwards lack depth and grit.
I'd still say we're better this season opener than last year. Tanev and OEL are a clean upgrade on Brodie and Klingberg. I don't see how Stolarz is worse than Sammy performed last year, who was demoted.

So it's basically losing Bert compared to those upgrades and some potential in Cowan, Knies and Robertson stepping up.

I don't think we're significantly better either, but it's marginal improvements over last year's opening roster

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think Knies could take a really big step next season.
I thought he had a good series against Boston and had a decent rookie season.
We need something like this or Cowan to step right in and be productive, to add some much needed quality scoring depth.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'd still say we're better this season opener than last year. Tanev and OEL are a clean upgrade on Brodie and Klingberg. I don't see how Stolarz is worse than Sammy performed last year, who was demoted.

So it's basically losing Bert compared to those upgrades and some potential in Cowan, Knies and Robertson stepping up.

I don't think we're significantly better either, but it's marginal improvements over last year's opening roster

I hope and think Stolarz will be better than Sammy, although that’s a very low measuring stick. We don’t need better, we need vastly better. That being said, we’ve tried these budget patch goalies. We needed a true starter. Also a D man who isn’t flawed one way or the other. Tanev is 35 and signed for 6 years while being injury prone. WTF was that lol.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Even with a lot of issues last season, they finished with over 100 points.

As mentioned, only losing Bertuzzi and Samsonov isn't going to make or break the Leafs. They both had pretty terrible seasons with some good stretches. Leafs have made plenty of solid additions that should give them a good rounded team, along with some younger options hopefully taking a step up in production.

With that said, you just never know. Sometimes a team just falls flat and goes through big injuries. Look at NJD this past season. It would be a very Leafs thing to go through a rough patch without a 1st round pick.
We do luckily have our 1st if its bottom 10

Hawks get 2026 in that case unprotected. Dubas thankfully didnt give a fully unprotected 1st in 2025.

If we are somehow bad hopefully its bottom 3 bad not 11-15 missing playoffs

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I hope and think Stolarz will be better than Sammy, although that’s a very low measuring stick. We don’t need better, we need vastly better. That being said, we’ve tried these budget patch goalies. We needed a true starter. Also a D man who isn’t flawed one way or the other. Tanev is 35 and signed for 6 years while being injury prone. WTF was that lol.
But the question isn't whether these are great solutions, it was whether they are better than last year's alternatives - no? Wasn't that your claim? That's assuming we agree last year's team was the worst Matthews era team we've iced.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs galaxy braining paying $27m for hopefully 3 elite years because they can and they did.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I think we’re pretty safe to say were about to ice the worst team in Matthews era next year.

Slightly better than last years heavily mediocre team, with a slightly worse forward group than the one who couldn't score a goal in the playoffs to save their lives.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Rantanen signed for 1.65M less than Marner. Aho signed for 1.75M less than Nylander. Both those comparables started their contracts the same year. I’d take Aho/Rantanen over Nylander/Marner any day of the week. Carolina/Colorado both have state income tax.

Can we guess which one is Carolina, Colorado, Toronto?

1720458849711.png

1720458816473.png

1720458886665.png

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
I cant believe we didnt trade marner and ae are running it back again. Actually shocking

Yup. I'm super low on the team running it back AGAIN! I was being more patient than a lot of other fans who wanted Keefe gone after like 1 or 2 full seasons and keeping the core(Pittsburg, Washington, etc prove that sometimes you just have to keep trying), but my patients is gone for running it back now. ANd I don't think changing the coach is enough.

We'll probably have a decent season this year and then shit the bed in the playoffs... again.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Yes I do. Just because last year was pretty bad too doesn’t make this year any better. We have gotten progressively worse on paper and less depth not better. Bertuzzi out is manageable as long as we get some rookie support but he was pretty decent in the playoffs. Tanev at 6 years is rough and OEL is really not what we needed. Up front there really is no additions on top of what was already weak depth wise. Woll in the starting role after a big injury from last year and the pressure of the world on him makes me very sceptical. Don’t get me wrong they could surprise, it’s just vastly dissspoainting to see this kind of offseason after our flaws were exposed for like the 6th time resulting in a first round exit. However close it was. This excuse can’t fly anymore. Games 1,2 and 4 were bad. We should be winning in 4/5 not rolling the dice on game 7 each year. We have 1 playoff round win to show for the Matthews era. This FA season wasn’t it.

Why can't you discuss hockey without the deep leaf cynicism?

This is completely dismissive and unrealistic.

So for Tre to do well he has to acquire Guentzel, Stamkos, Kane, and Tanner Jeanot?

I don't have a crystal ball. I don't know how well the season will go. I just think Tre is not done. He also addressed the defense, and they are improvement. I also think it's undeniable no matter how scorned you are as a fan.

Unless their goaltending really shits the bed, they can't possible be a worse team.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad