Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I actually think that Yakemchuk can be similar to Tkachuk, but on defence, he's big, he's mean, he has offensive production & needs to work on his defence. While saying that he hits, he fights for loose pucks, he is big enough to move bodies from in front of the net & does a lot of the things this team is missing from the defencemen they had last season.

I also view Ostapchuk as a Tkachuk lite kind of player who will do most of the things Tkachuk does except that Tkachuk has found much more offence while Ostapchuk is much better defensively. They seem to be building a much more balanced team with size & toughness while still having plenty of skill when required. And just like that I expect all 4 North Dakota Allumni on Ottawa's team for next season.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
I don’t see him in the second clip. In the first clip he hits an open passi

Im
Not saying things will or will not happen. But Yakemchuk has way more work to do to become a top 4 nhl d man than tkatchuk did to become a top 6 forward.

Harder positions
He is not seen in the second clip. I was just referring to the first. I think he does more than just hit an open pass; he creates the passing angle by drawing the defender in, maneuvering around the out stretched stick and then finding the seam pass

I agree with you, but this goes with all the top 6 defensemen taken in the draft. I have watched 4 of 6 extensively, and a bit of Silayev and Levshunov. They all have their flaws and do weird stuff that may or may not translatable to the NHL. It kind of reminds me of 2018 with all the quality defensemen available. But what bothers me, is not that some people don't like Yakemchuk, I think there are legitimate reasons for concern. It is the the flaws of Yakemchuk are often grossly overstated with a high degree of certainty or simply not put in proper context, while the flaws in the other D are washed over. Parekh, Dickisnon and Buium all have their issues.

Wheeler is a guy, for instance, who believes Yakemchuk was the worst of the to six D. But judging from what he has said, it wouldn't be surprising to him if Yakemchuk ends up being the best D taken in the draft, but he thinks this is the least likely scenario. And in latest prospect ranking, he rates all of Dickinson, Iginla, Sennecke and Yak in the same tier. Same tier meaning there isn't much of difference and the tier system is included to clarify that rank ordering conceals the interchangeability of these prospects by grouping them together. Yak is even rated higher than Sennecke in this list. Wheeler always emphasizes disembodied skill. Skill in the abstract, detached from the size and character of the player and this leads him to rank people like Parehk really high.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is not seen in the second clip. I was just referring to the first. I think he does more than just hit an open pass; he creates the passing angle by drawing the defender in, maneuvering around the out stretched stick and then finding the seam pass

I agree with you, but this goes with all the top 6 defensemen taken in the draft. I have watched 4 of 6 extensively, and a bit of Silayev and Levshunov. They all have their flaws and do weird stuff that may or may not translatable to the NHL. It kind of reminds me of 2018 with all the quality defensemen available. But what bothers me, is not that some people don't like Yakemchuk, I think there are legitimate reasons for concern. It is the the flaws of Yakemchuk are often grossly overstated with a high degree of certainty or simply not put in proper context, while the flaws in the other D are washed over. Parekh, Dickisnon and Buium all have their issues.

Wheeler is a guy, for instance, who believes Yakemchuk was the worst of the to six D. But judging from what he has said, it wouldn't be surprising to him if Yakemchuk ends up being the best D taken in the draft, but he thinks this is the least likely scenario. And in latest prospect ranking, he rates all of Dickinson, Iginla, Sennecke and Yak in the same tier. Same tier meaning there isn't much of difference and the tier system is included to clarify that rank ordering conceals the interchangeability of these prospects by grouping them together. Yak is even rated higher than Sennecke in this list. Wheeler always emphasizes disembodied skill. Skill in the abstract, detached from the size and character of the player and this leads him to rank people like Parehk really high.
I don’t take wheelers word as gold.

Wheeler doesn’t like him. Pronman adores him. Bad catch 22.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
All of the Parekh talk is making me shake my head. What is the likelihood that he carves out a career as a star NHL player with his playstyle and size? It's not very likely. I don't like his mentality either; the interview where he said people will have to adjust to the way he plays the game is not something I'd want to hear out of a junior-level d-man.

Unless he mega hits like Makar or Hughes, his floor is pretty low. I see him in the same vein as Hutson; there really isn't much room in this league for pure offensive d-men anymore. Forwards are too big and fast now and the best teams are extremely heavy on the cycle.

The reason Yak was taken over Parekh is not due to sheer talent. It's because he is much more suited to the NHL of today. That is not going to be obvious when both are playing against kids in the CHL. The transition to pro always makes it abundantly clear why teams value certain traits over others.

It's also why I think Montreal fans are in for a rude awakening with Lane Hutson. If you can't play D against men you don't tend to stick around too long.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
OK so putting that in advance. The guys that were ranked higher in "consensus rankings" still available when we picked were :

Zeev Buium, Zayne Parekh, Berkly Catton, Sam Dickinson, Anton Silayev, Konsta Helenius, Cole Eiserman and Michael Brandsegg-Nygard

If you hate these consensus rankings and think Bob McKenzie is the ONLY worthy source, then the guys he ranked above Yakemchuk and still available to us were :

Anton Silayev, Sam Dickinson, Zeev Buium, Zayne Parekh, Konsta Helenius, Berkly Catton

Also, please don't say "Yak" because it reminds me of Yakupov. We can't afford to blow a FOURTH ~Top-10 pick in a row

I mean, how could a rebuild be successful if that ever happens?

You have a point at the end. They had sennecke and iginla ahead of yalemhcuk

Damnit, we almost got Iginla if this is true

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
All of the Parekh talk is making me shake my head. What is the likelihood that he carves out a career as a star NHL player with his playstyle and size? It's not very likely. I don't like his mentality either; the interview where he said people will have to adjust to the way he plays the game is not something I'd want to hear out of a junior-level d-man.

Unless he mega hits like Makar or Hughes, his floor is pretty low. I see him in the same vein as Hutson; there really isn't much room in this league for pure offensive d-men anymore. Forwards are too big and fast now and the best teams are extremely heavy on the cycle.

The reason Yak was taken over Parekh is not due to sheer talent. It's because he is much more suited to the NHL of today. That is not going to be obvious when both are playing against kids in the CHL. The transition to pro always makes it abundantly clear why teams value certain traits over others.

It's also why I think Montreal fans are in for a rude awakening with Lane Hutson. If you can't play D against men you don't tend to stick around too long.
I found most of the Parekh talk was world junior specific vs the draft. They both would have been lower on my list than where we picked. As far as the Junior team is concerned and that world junior tournament .. the criteria is different. Certainly places for smaller skilled guys like Parekh and Hutson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

An interesting behind the scenes look at the draft.

DyT0gg[1].gif

• Haha
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Our scouts seem to have considered Yakemchuk as a raw prospect, almost akin to how Zibanejad was thought of back in the day, They're counting on him growing into his huge body and cutting down on mental blunders.

It's a gamble, but the payoff is huge. Ideally he could develop into a big, mean right shot defenceman who defends well and puts up points.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Always good to hear from the scouts and see the rationale and thought process leading up to the draft, whether you agree or not

The more behind the scenes stuff the better

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
Reminds me of the Lassi pick. Big reach. Shoehorned RHD due to need. Size and tools with questionable hockey sense. Recommended by the same WHL scouts. Cannon shot that can rack up goals in juniors.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was a little disappointed with the questions the asked, I mean, it seemed obvious what answers they wanted to hear...
Hearing them say how many PIMS Yak had and that he’d lay lumber made me face palm :laugh:

But yeah: “Would you rather score more points, or play a more well rounded game…”. Setting that one, and a lot of what we heard, up on a tee

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Interesting hearing another coach speaking about intangibles that are so hard for us fans to get a read on. Could hear Poulie mentioning it too. I guess somehow that is factoring in their decisions that we cant see. Hopefully from more than just that interview that must be nerve-wracking though.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Hearing them say how many PIMS Yak had and that he’d lay lumber made me face palm :laugh:

But yeah: “Would you rather score more points, or play a more well rounded game…”. Setting that one, and a lot of what we heard, up on a tee

"You're a big guy"

"For you"

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
In 2 years he slides into Jensen’s spot in the top 4 and we keep rolling.

Yakemchuk - Sanderson could be the best D pairing we ever have in Ottawa if this works out and their Mom’s are best friends - Mom’s were the best part of last season, it all makes Sensanon sense.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
In 2 years he slides into Jensen’s spot in the top 4 and we keep rolling.

Yakemchuk - Sanderson could be the best D pairing we ever have in Ottawa if this works out and their Mom’s are best friends - Mom’s were the best part of last season, it all makes Sensanon sense.
And Jensen, as he declines, will still be a serviceable 3RD that will take a discount to stay with us hopefully lol

Reactions: Tuna99

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Yeah. That was the epitome of a leading question.

How hard would it have been to simply ask "what development goals do you have for next year? If possible just let us in on some specific examples of how you'd like to improve your game."

Not good research/interviewing.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I was a little disappointed with the questions the asked, I mean, it seemed obvious what answers they wanted to hear...
You're seeing what was likely a 1-2 hour process condensed into a 10 minute narrated video. I'm sure there were a lot more questions asked that weren't shown and provided more interesting abstract insight.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You're seeing what was likely a 1-2 hour process condensed into a 10 minute narrated video. I'm sure there were a lot more questions asked that weren't shown and provided more interesting abstract insight.

fans are citizicing the scouting staff off of a video made for hockey Moms and 8 year old fans. Way to go guys, you’re showing the world how smart you are by acting like 12 year olds in the backseat of a car

I’ll bet 97% of the fans on here have never even watched Yakemchuk play 1 period of hockey

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
fans are citizicing the scouting staff off of a video made for hockey Moms and 8 year old fans. Way to go guys, you’re showing the world how smart you are by acting like 12 year olds in the backseat of a car

I’ll bet 97% of the fans on here have never even watched Yakemchuk play 1 period of hockey
I'm hungry! Are we almost there yet? I'm bored. Grandma farted! The dog has to pee!

Reactions: milkbag

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, and those were the questions they chose thinking they'd make the best content, that's even more frightening...

They didn't need to show any of the questions, they chose to show those ones...

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad