Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I kinda wonder about that. Team Canada teams to be a bit more conservative in their selections. The one way offensive dynamos don't always make the cut. They want guys who have the ability to adapt their games to different roles and play the Team Canada way....or at least that's how it used to be.

In his 18 year old season, Quinn Hughes was on the US WJC team as basically their PP1 quarterback and 7th defenceman.

I could see Hockey Canada bringing Parekh in a similar role, with the expectation that in his 19 year old season he'll be a top pairing guy, like Hughes was.

Obviously that would be great news for Yakemchuk. His place on the team becomes more dicey if Hockey Canada has Bonk and Parekh as two of their three top 6 RHD.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I kinda wonder about that. Team Canada teams to be a bit more conservative in their selections. The one way offensive dynamos don't always make the cut. They want guys who have the ability to adapt their games to different roles and play the Team Canada way....or at least that's how it used to be.
Would likely play, or have to play a similar role that Olen Zellweger did for Canada in 2022 and 2023, which I think Parekh would be able to do quite easily at this level.

I think both may make the team, one as the "7th" and one as a pairing D. Bonk has the top spot locked in, and I think one spot on the right is going to go to a guy like MacKinnon/Gibson/Southeran in the Warren/Allen mold they tend to take every year.

I could see them running a Chadwick-Southeran 3rd pairing, prospects much worse than some wguys likely to be left off, and leaving the 7th between a guy like Price and whomever doesn't gett the pairing spot out of Parekh and Yakemchuk.

I do think only 1 of Parekh and Yak will be taking a regular shift, but I think there is a pretty good shot the other is in the 7th spot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yakemchuk isn't beating out Parekh for the top OFD role at RD.

He's nowhere near as good offensively. Not even in the same tier.

If he makes Team Canada it's because he will have improved his two-way game to the point where he can be counted on to provide value in the defensive end.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Yakemchuk isn't beating out Parekh for the top OFD role at RD.

He's nowhere near as good offensively. Not even in the same tier.

If he makes Team Canada it's because he will have improved his two-way game to the point where he can be counted on to provide value in the defensive end.
I think if you are talking about pond hockey or a beer league you got a point.

But as the stakes get higher, I know that Parehk has problems producing in tight checking, more physical style of play. He may put four points up playing against the Swiss in a blowout.

But did you see him against the Soo or London in the playoffs? He was completely shutdown. He wilted under the pressure. He had 5 points in 9 games and was a -4. He cannot escape pressure adequality for someone with such a small frame and he gets hit way too often. It completely slowed him down. Even in the Memorial Cup, he had a quick start, but totally flustered in the last 3 games offensively.

I find it funny that people will place a microscope over the flaws or of Yakemchuk, while totally ignoring player x, y or z. Parehk was almost blown up twice in the Memorial Cup for being unaware and reckless. He has strong aversion to playing against the cycle and engaging in net from battles. People will point to Yak in the prospects game for doing too much, but Parehk did hardly anything at all and was invisible.

Yak will provide plenty of competition for Parehk on the PP. Yak doesn't even have to use a single deke, just command the puck, open up shooting and passing lanes and distribute from the top.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Is it me or if everything goes well, Yakemchuk ends up in a Chychrun type of player?

I wonder if anyone else came up with this question lol
No. If everything goes well he’ll be a lot better in every way. Physically, offensively, and defensively. Ok maybe speed and skating but that won’t hold him back much.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think if you are talking about pond hockey or a beer league you got a point.

But as the stakes get higher, I know that Parehk has problems producing in tight checking, more physical style of play. He may put four points up playing against the Swiss in a blowout.

But did you see him against the Soo or London in the playoffs? He was completely shutdown. He wilted under the pressure. He had 5 points in 9 games and was a -4. He cannot escape pressure adequality for someone with such a small frame and he gets hit way too often. It completely slowed him down. Even in the Memorial Cup, he had a quick start, but totally flustered in the last 3 games offensively.

I find it funny that people will place a microscope over the flaws or of Yakemchuk, while totally ignoring player x, y or z. Parehk was almost blown up twice in the Memorial Cup for being unaware and reckless. He has strong aversion to playing against the cycle and engaging in net from battles. People will point to Yak in the prospects game for doing too much, but Parehk did hardly anything at all and was invisible.

Yak will provide plenty of competition for Parehk on the PP. Yak doesn't even have to use a single deke, just command the puck, open up shooting and passing lanes and distribute from the top.

Both players play pond hockey, have great shots and silky smooth hands, but only one of them combines high-end skill with high-end IQ, vision and playmaking, which is basically a necessity to be an elite offensive blueliner at the NHL level.

Passing up Parekh (and several other D for that matter) for Yakemchuk is going to haunt this franchise for a long time. Pretty certain of that actually.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Both players play pond hockey, have great shots and silky smooth hands, but only one of them combines high-end skill with high-end IQ, vision and playmaking, which is basically a necessity to be an elite offensive blueliner at the NHL level.

Plus he was bouncing back from an injury in the Memorial Cup against the Knights.

Like its alright to admit that both Yak and Parekh were high risk picks, but the reward is different for each and that Parekh probably has a higher ceiling.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Passing up Parekh (and several other D for that matter) for Yakemchuk is going to haunt this franchise for a long time. Pretty certain of that actually.
1721336015792.png

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'll admit I don't know much about the Team Canada selection process, but why shouldn't both Parekh and Yakemchuk make it? They're easily the two best RHD the team could have.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'll admit I don't know much about the Team Canada selection process, but why shouldn't both Parekh and Yakemchuk make it? They're easily the two best RHD the team could have.
Bonk was one of their best D last year, and will almost assuredly be their top/2nd D this year.

Both guys fill, primarily and for the most part, an offensive role with a lot be to besides defensively; it’s quite likely they want a defensive guy to fill out the last pairing.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There is a good chance both will make it one maybe in the 7 hole to start.
Oliver Bonk would be ahead of both on the depth chart at RD right now. He was the #1 on London .
The TC Brass may want their best defensive RD option perhaps after Bonk holding down a spot on the roster. That will be one of Gibson, Sotheran or Mackinnon. I see them taking Parekh in the top 6 and having him run the PP.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If he plays anything like he did at the 3v3 he ain’t making it. Looked scared confused out of of shape. Eyes were wide he was huffing and puffing more than anyone else

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
If he plays anything like he did at the 3v3 he ain’t making it. Looked scared confused out of of shape. Eyes were wide he was huffing and puffing more than anyone else
Tkachuk looked quite bad at development camp. I watched the 5 on 5 game live and he looked slow and gangly. Go back and read the comments at the time, even his supporters were saying he needed another year or two of development, the detractors were yelling and screaming about another draft eligible prospect, who shall not be named, who was lighting it up in his orgs camp. People were even saying Tkachuk looked lethargic and had weak skating mechanics. By the time the prospects tournament rolled around in September, he looked like an entirely different player.

You are catching these players in the middle of summer, when they are working in the gym and trying to address certain weaknesses. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Tkachuk looked quite bad at development camp. I watched the 5 on 5 game live and he looked slow and gangly. Go back and read the comments at the time, even his supporters were saying he needed another year or two of development, the detractors were yelling and screaming about another draft eligible prospect, who shall not be named, who was lighting it up in his orgs camp. People were even saying Tkachuk looked lethargic and had weak skating mechanics. By the time the prospects tournament rolled around in September, he looked like an entirely different player.

You are catching these players in the middle of summer, when they are working in the gym and trying to address certain weaknesses. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Those half-rink three-on-three games are really hard to evaluate, and I don't really think it's worth trying. Back when they played a five-on-five game, you could start to see which guys might separate themselves.

I've never thought anyone looked particularly good in those three-on-three games, and we've obviously had good prospects pass through over the years. And those games - with all the quick starts and stops, and with the game never reaching full speed - are really not suited to guys who are still working on the details of their footwork, like Tkachuk was and like Yakemchuk is.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012

But all that goes away when you lay a body on Parehk, he is akin to a Adam Boqvist.

I fundamentally disagree with false dichotomy you are producing, putting all the high-end qualities in the Parehk camp, but this the type of hyperbolic argument has currency here and the routine has been done before. It is a not as clear cut. Parehk has many faults: 1. He shoots off his back leg, directing soft floaters at the net, a dipropionate amount of time and it kills plays. 2. When crossing the blue line, and navigating traffic he takes the most unathletic posture by forming a tripod (straightening his back). This almost got him blown up in the Memorial cup. 3. This next point has brought up by another poster and is fundamentally true. Parehk doesn't carry the puck up the ice or really attempt stretch passes. He mostly defers those duties to Dionicio or whomever.

We obviously disagree on Yakemchuk's vision and IQ. I actually think it is a strength and you characterize as a sever limiting factor.

Yakemchuk controls and dictates play, in all three zones, in a way that Parehk cannot. Parehk avoids defensive responsibility like few prospects I have seen in covering top-ten potential picks. He will legitimately play air traffic controller, directing players around, with his stick in the air, rather than be involved in the play. He is not slippery enough to avoid contact and seems afraid and shocked when physical engagement comes his way. I refer you to the 4 minute double minor in the Memorial Cup, where pinched, heard foot steps, lost the puck and cross-checked the approaching player in the face. He disappears for long stretches in games. He will use his cloaking device to disappear and reaper to provide air traffic controller directional advice and disappear again. He also turns over pucks at an alarming rate in the defensive zone, especially when pressured. It is not highlighted for some reason, but he is good at masking this, because he is always deferring. He basically uses all his energy between the redline and the goal.

He is not player you build a winning team or winning culture around.

Even if he hits, he will be a PP wizard that disappears when the games become meaningful. He will cost a team a large portion of the salary cap distribution, but will always need to be protected 5 on 5. He is not Karlsson or Hughes, but is less committed defensively than both.

And going to some previous discussions, this is a Staois pick. He saw all the top guys play and he hasn't fired Don Boyd or radically altered the amateur scouting staff. Unless he does that ASAP, it is an endorsement. Moreover, this whole narrative around Ottawa not liking skill or focusing on high PIMs players is erroneous, they apparently liked Iginla a lot and he is a six foot skill guy. Martian was saying Iginla was the pick of he was there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Tkatchuk can be gangly and all over the place when his big strength at the time was causing havoc in the corners and crashing the net.

Yakemchuk can’t be like that when his biggest strength at the moment is dangly junior level forwards

But all that goes away when you lay a body on Parehk, he is akin to a Adam Boqvist.

I fundamentally disagree with false dichotomy you are producing, putting all the high-end qualities in the Parehk camp, but this the type of hyperbolic argument has currency here and the routine has been done before. It is a not as clear cut. Parehk has many faults: 1. He shoots off his back leg, directing soft floaters at the net, a dipropionate amount of time and it kills plays. 2. When crossing the blue line, and navigating traffic he takes the most unathletic posture by forming a tripod (straightening his back). This almost got him blown up in the Memorial cup. 3. This next point has brought up by another poster and is fundamentally true. Parehk doesn't carry the puck up the ice or really attempt stretch passes. He mostly defers those duties to Dionicio or whomever.

We obviously disagree on Yakemchuk's vision and IQ. I actually think it is a strength and you characterize as a sever limiting factor.

Yakemchuk controls and dictates play, in all three zones, in a way that Parehk cannot. Parehk avoids defensive responsibility like few prospects I have seen in covering top-ten potential picks. He will legitimately play air traffic controller, directing players around, with his stick in the air, rather than be involved in the play. He is not slippery enough to avoid contact and seems afraid and shocked when physical engagement comes his way. I refer you to the 4 minute double minor in the Memorial Cup, where pinched, heard foot steps, lost the puck and cross-checked the approaching player in the face. He disappears for long stretches in games. He will use his cloaking device to disappear and reaper to provide air traffic controller directional advice and disappear again. He also turns over pucks at an alarming rate in the defensive zone, especially when pressured. It is not highlighted for some reason, but he is good at masking this, because he is always deferring. He basically uses all his energy between the redline and the goal.

Even if he hits, he will be a PP wizard that disappears when the games become meaningful. He will cost a team a large portion of the salary cap distribution, but will always need to be protected 5 on 5. He is not Karlsson or Hughes, but is less committed defensively than both.

And going to some previous discussions, this is a Staois pick. He saw all the top guys play and he hasn't fired Don Boyd or radically altered the amateur scouting staff. Unless he does that ASAP, it is an endorsement. Moreover, this whole narrative around Ottawa not liking skill or focusing on high PIMs players is erroneous, they apparently liked Iginla a lot and he is a six foot skill guy. Martian was saying Iginla was the pick of he was there.

You have a point at the end. They had sennecke and iginla ahead of yalemhcuk

Reactions: aragorn

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Tkatchuk can be gangly and all over the place when his big strength at the time was causing havoc in the corners and crashing the net.

Yakemchuk can’t be like that when his biggest strength at the moment is dangly junior level forwards
But that is not his biggest strength, it is a total misrepresentation. He actually has good vision and playmaking ability and uses his stick handling/combined with his big frame to manipulate defenders and open passing lanes. He doesn't have to deke anybody out or play below hashmarks to be effective. I have seen games where he has dominated without deking out a single player. Even when hockeyprospects guys like Brad Allen are pushed, they will even concede that he is a good playmaker with creativity.

Look at this pass from the 3 on tournament that Yakemchuk gets no love for:

What does he do in this clip, he changes the angle with his stick handling, manipulates the defender and makes a beautiful feed to a guy name Lockhart, who apparently was lights out during camp.

You can watch partial games on youtube or full games on watch.chl, where he matches up against players like Lindstrom and totally dominates them. He was pushing around Lindstrom like it was it nothing, to the point, in one game, where Lindstrom wants to rip his head off.

The vitriol against Brady was even worse after development camp. They were calling him a Chris Neal replacement.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Parekh is the most overrated player in the draft . Some of you guys need to actually watch him instead of stat watching .

I’ve broken him down and made my analysis on him previously. He’s not a dman that carries the puck through the neutral zone, he’s not a guy that drives play, he’s someone that once he gets inside the opposing zone is where he shines .

He has many drawbacks to him .

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Parekh is going to have a tough time hitting his ceiling in the NHL, which is admittedly very high. The game he plays without hitting that ceiling isn’t very useful would be the reason he’d have been the last of the “top” D I’d have taken.

That being said, pro projection doesn’t have any bearing on the World Junior team or process, and his game at the junior level is going to be much easier to project as successful. It’s pretty easy to see success at the World Juniors for a guy like Parekh, the same could also be said for Yak on both accounts. It will be interesting to see what they plan with two of their bigger names looking to occupy a similar role.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Parekh is the most overrated player in the draft . Some of you guys need to actually watch him instead of stat watching .

I’ve broken him down and made my analysis on him previously. He’s not a dman that carries the puck through the neutral zone, he’s not a guy that drives play, he’s someone that once he gets inside the opposing zone is where he shines .

He has many drawbacks to him .
I totally agree and I have to you credit for the puck carrying angle. You are on the mark.

I am not sure how all of this will play out in future. But watching Parehk in several games, I became really suspect of the player. He doesn't have that game changing presence for someone that puts up that many points. He simply doesn't control the game over the 200 foot surface, just the offensive zone.

Reactions: DJB

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Boqvist wasn't nearly as intelligent as Parekh is though. Boqvist also isn't a good puck mover despite being offensively gifted.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But that is not his biggest strength, it is a total misrepresentation. He actually has good vision and playmaking ability and uses his stick handling/combined with his big frame to manipulate defenders and open passing lanes. He doesn't have to deke anybody out or play below hashmarks to be effective. I have seen games where he has dominated without deking out a single player. Even when hockeyprospects guys like Brad Allen are pushed, they will even concede that he is a good playmaker with creativity.

Look at this pass from the 3 on tournament that Yakemchuk gets no love for:

What does he do in this clip, he changes the angle with his stick handling, manipulates the defender and makes a beautiful feed to a guy name Lockhart, who apparently was lights out during camp.

You can watch partial games on youtube or full games on watch.chl, where he matches up against players like Lindstrom and totally dominates them. He was pushing around Lindstrom like it was it nothing, to the point, in one game, where Lindstrom wants to rip his head off.

The vitriol against Brady was even worse after development camp. They were calling him a Chris Neal replacement.
I don’t see him in the second clip. In the first clip he hits an open passi

Im
Not saying things will or will not happen. But Yakemchuk has way more work to do to become a top 4 nhl d man than tkatchuk did to become a top 6 forward.

Harder positions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad