Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
This has come up a bunch.

Generally yes.
You can try to claim it other places (Tavares is being sued) But you would have to show greater financial ties to that area. Which is hard to do when you play 50% here and live here 8 months a year (have to count the days)

Tampa players collect all their sb in Florida taxes.

There is an article in the athletic. It went through an NHL player signing in Canada as a Canadian/american/euro

Basically the conclusion was that Canadians/euros it’s really hard. (Tavares)

Americans technically might be able to swing it but you can’t own a house/long term lease/rental/cars/kids in school etc. or you are deemed Canadian resident for taxes

Most guys just do it for 1 year
its not financial ties. there's primary and secondary factors the CRA uses to determine residence. the tax stuff is super complex and not as straight forward as multiplying the maerginal rate by the gross salary.

Reactions: lopey

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
its not financial ties. there's primary and secondary factors the CRA uses to determine residence. the tax stuff is super complex and not as straight forward as multiplying the maerginal rate by the gross salary.
There are some truth to residence though. Bc I know a non-Canadian Canucks, despite signing huge deals and have their families living and schooling in Vancouver, he rent instead of owning a place.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
There are some truth to residence though. Bc I know a non-Canadian Canucks, despite signing huge deals and have their families living and schooling in Vancouver, he rent instead of owning a place.
yeah but having a canadian bank account could just as well trigger the CRA to deem you a canadian resident

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
yeah but having a canadian bank account could just as well trigger the CRA to deem you a canadian resident
Yes and no, bc people with work visa will have bank account in Canada even if they work for 3 months. While owning a home indicates having roots.

I do think pro athletes do have a different set of regulations from CRA and the government than an average person. As they will look at their cases a bit different. For example, if a Canadian company want to hire a foreigner to come work in Canada, ko matter how special and unique that job is, need to apply for work visa….but that’s not really the case for the Jays or NHL teams.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think we’re pretty safe to say were about to ice the worst team in Matthews era next year
Really? You think that is "safe" to say, do you?

How is this term worse than the one that started last season?

Bertuzzi out? Is that what has you all concerned? Tavares a year older? What else could possibly make this "safe to say"?

We started last season with Brodie, Klingberg and Giordano in our top six D. We had Samsonov as our starter.

What makes us worse than last year? Were you a big Keefe fan? Gregor?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yes. And those “primary and secondary factors” are referred to as greater financial ties in articles.

Everyone says it’s so much more complex.
But if you look at stars signing jn high tax markets across Canada and the us.

You are going to see all the salaries group between 13.5-14.5

And the low tax between 11.25-12.25

That’s across Multiple teams gms stages of winning climate etc

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
this is a bad idea; doesnt account for the use of tax shelter vehicles like RCA's and bonus deferrals in high tax jurisdictions.

Clayton Kershaw has a salary thats laced with bonuses paid out in the offseason when he lives in texas so he pays 0 california tax on it.

RCAs shelter a lot of taxable income and players also have the ability to incorporate for certain types of payments which reduces their tax burden. (Brian Burke did a really good seminar on this for CPAs at Rotman's). the tax thing is a media blowing smoke up our asses

Source: am a CPA

Ah, ok. Thanks for the insight.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I understand the arguments just fine
You clearly don't. Both of those things have been discussed for ages, unchanged, and they really have nothing to do with each other. They address different mistakes that people make when discussing contracts. And those aren't even all of the mistakes. We still have people in this thread trying to compare different types of contracts, and define players and their worth by single-season goal production, even though they know that's not how it works.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think we’re pretty safe to say were about to ice the worst team in Matthews era next year

Really? You think that is "safe" to say, do you?

How is this term worse than the one that started last season?

Bertuzzi out? Is that what has you all concerned? Tavares a year older? What else could possibly make this "safe to say"?

We started last season with Brodie, Klingberg and Giordano in our top six D. We had Samsonov as our starter.

What makes us worse than last year? Were you a big Keefe fan? Gregor?

Even with a lot of issues last season, they finished with over 100 points.

As mentioned, only losing Bertuzzi and Samsonov isn't going to make or break the Leafs. They both had pretty terrible seasons with some good stretches. Leafs have made plenty of solid additions that should give them a good rounded team, along with some younger options hopefully taking a step up in production.

With that said, you just never know. Sometimes a team just falls flat and goes through big injuries. Look at NJD this past season. It would be a very Leafs thing to go through a rough patch without a 1st round pick.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

As mentioned, only losing Bertuzzi and Samsonov isn't going to make or break the Leafs. They both had pretty terrible seasons with some good stretches. Leafs have made plenty of solid additions that should give them a good rounded team, along with some younger options hopefully taking a step up in production.

With that said, you just never know. Sometimes a team just falls flat and goes through big injuries. Look at NJD this past season. It would be a very Leafs thing to go through a rough patch without a 1st round pick.

Yea, no safety net this year with the 1st round pick which is concerning.

I would have liked to bolster centre a bit more, if either of Matthews or JT goes down, we're hurting.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

It’s incredible that as bad as Samsonov was, he had a higher points% than any goalie in the league (min 25GP). The Leafs are a better team on paper with Stolarz over Samsonov but he didn’t really cost them points last year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It’s incredible that as bad as Samsonov was, he had a higher points% than any goalie in the league (min 25GP). The Leafs are a better team on paper with Stolarz over Samsonov but he didn’t really cost them points last year.

The team bailed him out quite a bit. He also had a stretch of 2 months where he was fantastic but regressed back to his bad self in the last month + playoffs.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The team bailed him out quite a bit. He also had a stretch of 2 months where he was fantastic but regressed back to his bad self in the last month + playoffs.
Absolutely, I'm not defending his play. He was one of the worst goalies in the league last year. All I'm saying is the team somehow won despite him and it's unrealistic to expect Stolarz to put up a better record considering no goalie in the NHL did last year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're entering the dark days of the off-season. Zero rumours or news. Still a few free agents to pick up for a few teams. I'm still hoping for a 1 year Pacioretty deal with bonuses for the Leafs -- he can still play, he's got skill and doesn't shy away from the physical stuff, but he's definitely not the fastest anymore.

I'm hoping for a bit of movement from Treliving to improve the team further but seems like it's never gonna happen. I suspect a couple prospect signings to AHL/ELCs this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We're entering the dark days of the off-season. Zero rumours or news. Still a few free agents to pick up for a few teams. I'm still hoping for a 1 year Pacioretty deal with bonuses for the Leafs -- he can still play, he's got skill and doesn't shy away from the physical stuff, but he's definitely not the fastest anymore.

I'm hoping for a bit of movement from Treliving to improve the team further but seems like it's never gonna happen. I suspect a couple prospect signings to AHL/ELCs this week.
Yeah, I think the most we gonna see is a Noah Gregor/Lafferty swap like last season....with us signing Blais to a PTO and then trading Kampf before the season.

Other than that, I think this is our team until the trade deadline. I see a forward acquisition at the deadline

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A deal around Robertson for Kartye could make sense for both teams.

Kartye is a good 4LW with 3LW upside. He hits everything that moves and also has good, not great, underlying numbers. He scored 5 points in 10 games in his first playoff run for Seattle and scored 11G/9A this season. He is only 4 months older than Robertson so the Leafs aren't really getting older. Kartye also put up good, not great, results on the PK this year - the Leafs would be adding another NHL PK body in place of Robertson. Kartye can also play C. Realistically with Knies/Nylander/Domi/Marner/Cowan in the organization there isn't a role for Robertson in the top 6 anytime soon and he most likely is wasted on a 3rd line.

Seattle gets more goals which is their biggest need right now. They lose out on a solid defensive player.

This would only make sense for the current roster if Kampf is moved and Holmberg/Dewar play 3/4C.

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
McMann-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Kartye-Dewar-Reaves

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I have no idea how you've come to this conclusion.

TheD corps is unquestionably better then any he has started a season with. By like a giant step. They lost who from the forward? Bertuzzi. Oh no. The guy didn't score a goal until like Christmas.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Having Stolarz may help the Leafs stabilize their play style. In Woll, Stolarz and even Murray you have 3 blocking goalies who play a somewhat economical and structured style. So if the defense has 3 goalies behind them that play a quieter game, more predictable you have fewer adjustments needed between different goalies starting. One of the reasons Jones was effective last year was he was just an inert, efficient goalie. He was beatable but he wasn’t unpredictable.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad